• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Which auto fits 258?

scramblerace

Basic User
Which auto transmissions (Mopar or AMC) will bolt directly to 258 and Dana 300? I want an auto transmission now!!!! In Jacksonville, FL area.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
You will want a TF999 that came out of a CJ-7 or 8, if you want simple bolt in. A TF 727 out of a '80-'91Waggy will bolt in, but has some complications... you have to have at least a 4" lift and a 1" body lift and the front driveshaft still is very close to the trans pan. The bolt pattern of the trans is the same, AMC V-8 or 258.

C

chad

any guesstimate on what a tf999 might cost by itself and install.

Thanks
Chad

trust

PITA
City
White Rock
State
NM
I have a zero miles rebuilt tf 999 out of an 84 that I have just about $700 into. Still need the flex plate, torque converter and a shifter. If you want it I would be happy to send it to a good home as I will not be using it now. If you buy one from a yard be sure to factor in the cost of at least freshening it up if not a full rebuild so you don't have the installation cost twice. as far as installing it, it shouldn't be much harder than doing a clutch job except you may have to also relocate the crossmember, not sure, and will have to do the kickdown inkage but that should be available as a stock item.

tr

Last edited: