• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Wire Diagram

Wayne

Legacy Registered User
City
Cape Coral
State
FL
Can anyone recommend a good wire harness diagram for the 82 Scramber inline 6.
I have printed a couple, both were different and some of the items on the diagrams do not cross reference with my Jeep.

In December I took the front end of and removed the dash - labeled everything.
Over the Iast couple of days I have put front end back, installed the the lights up front put the dash back -

The headlight work but I have no signals and getting no power to the cluster..

Thank you.
Wayne.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Try this one. PROSPERO's

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    142.4 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    186.3 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 35

Hoover

Bronzed Member
Lifetime Member
City
Livingston
State
AL
I've worked on a couple of these harnesses recently- one being an 82- and if you post up images of problem areas/wires, I might be able to help.

Also, if you haven't already, be sure to run a dedicated ground to your speedo cluster housing, as well as the other grounding points behind the dash.

Edit: Forgot to ask, is this an OEM harness or aftermarket?

Last edited:

Hoover

Bronzed Member
Lifetime Member
City
Livingston
State
AL
If OEM, this diagram may also be helpful-

Attachments

• CJ Wiring Diagram (2).pdf
    659.5 KB · Views: 48

Wayne

Legacy Registered User
City
Cape Coral
State
FL
I've worked on a couple of these harnesses recently- one being an 82- and if you post up images of problem areas/wires, I might be able to help.

Also, if you haven't already, be sure to run a dedicated ground to your speedo cluster housing, as well as the other grounding points behind the dash.

Edit: Forgot to ask, is this an OEM harness or aftermarket?
Thanks OEM.

Wayne

Legacy Registered User
City
Cape Coral
State
FL
Apprecaite all the info.
It's complicated stuff - had another go at it today - no luck, just have head lights, nothing else - not even break lights ...

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Apprecaite all the info.
It's complicated stuff - had another go at it today - no luck, just have head lights, nothing else - not even break lights ...
Did you find an FSM diagram to match your year and/or wiring harness? The key is having the right wire color/tracer labels matching up in order to make sense of them IMO. If you're having to fight to "translate" between what you have and what you're looking at on the diagram, it's a losing battle.

With things like you're doing with the lights, are you starting with checking the switches involved? No amount of wiring/light work will do anything if the switches aren't doing what they're supposed to and getting power from where they're supposed to. I always go back as far as I can and then work toward the thing that I'm trying to fix, checking along the way. So, start at the brake light switch to ensure you're getting what you need to make the brake lights work.

Dave The Sparky

Rebuilding my CJ8 very,very slowly...
City
Halifax
State
UK
Have you plugged that long black plug back in to the steering column correctly as that would create most of the problems you seem to have. 🤔

83CJ-8

Trying to catch up
Gold Member
Silver Member
City
Lewes
State
DE
I sent the PDF from post #4 to Staples and had them print it out on a 24" x 36". It covered 18" x 36" and left the white border across the top. They thought they made a mistake so they printed it again. I had them cut the one down and I'm having it laminated. Total $14. When printed page 4 from post #5's PDF. :headbang:

IMG_9188.JPG

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
I got it printed out on a plotter at work 2 copies Mine is 18 X 40 Garage walls are full. Need to figure out where it will hangimage.jpeg G

Wayne

Legacy Registered User
City
Cape Coral
State
FL
I sent the PDF from post #4 to Staples and had them print it out on a 24" x 36". It covered 18" x 36" and left the white border across the top. They thought they made a mistake so they printed it again. I had them cut the one down and I'm having it laminated. Total $14. When printed page 4 from post #5's PDF. :headbang:

View attachment 91967
Cool idea.