• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Door corner fillers for Postal tops

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
Several people have asked about using standard "round corner" CJ doors with Alaskan Postal and World Cab hardtops which require very hard to find "square corner" doors.

Here's a few photos of the corner fillers I've fabricated so I can use my stock round corner doors with my Postal top.

There's still a little finish work to do, but they provide a good seal and don't look too bad. They're also just in rough paint right now, I'll have them finished the same as the rest of the Jeep before I call them done.

They are made of a 1/2" piece of angle iron bent to follow the countour of the round top of the door, and 20-ga. sheet metal with two 90 degree-bent lips to match the "square" angle of the hardtop opening. These are welded together.

I'm looking forward to finally being able to take this thing through a car wash :-)

Truck

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Manassas
State
Va
Looks like you did a pretty good job to me..way to go.

Truck

aufderheide

Basic User
City
annapolis
State
md
Yours look great.

i saw an add on the pirate 4x4 site for a tug being parted out. the cj 10 a has the doors you are looking for.

the guy's email is: rklinger@cox.net

I cannot verify condition or price. i wanted the grille and fenders, but they had been cut up for a custom winch.

Yours look pdg (pretty da#@ good) anyways.

good luck

rick

jjonesee

Jeep Pro
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Houston
State
TX
I just want a postal top.... The doors would be the least of my worries

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Looks great, like everything else on that ride of yours :D

Well done.

tom82cj8

Scrambler Pro
City
Austin
State
TX
I think that filler piece looks very good. Can you make a similar piece to fill the outside gap? Then it would look like a factory fit. The outer piece would just be for looks, but it also might keep water from running down the flat inner piece and into the cab. Just a thought. Still looks good like you have it. I doubt any non-jeeper would ever even notice.

Later,

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
tom82cj8 said:
I think that filler piece looks very good. Can you make a similar piece to fill the outside gap? Then it would look like a factory fit. The outer piece would just be for looks, but it also might keep water from running down the flat inner piece and into the cab. Just a thought. Still looks good like you have it. I doubt any non-jeeper would ever even notice.

Later,

Yes, I'm considering making an "outer" filler that will go on top of the filler I've currently got in place. This would raise the level of the filler to the level of the side panel. Probably make it out of a piece of solid surface material (Corian, etc.) because it's thick enough, easy to work with bandsaw and router, and can be painted.

CJ8Chris

I hate rust and chrome
City
Austin
State
TX
Nice job J, the top looks real sweet with the matching paint and the fab work you have had done. I have top envy now!

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
Thanks for all the nice comments.

One other thought for anyone else doing a Postal top - having done the door corners, I think this is a much better way to go than finding/restoring square corner doors - this way I can use stock replacement weatherstripping, and if a window ever breaks, it won't be hard to find a replacement. Just try finding replacement parts for a square door...

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Yeah, but being square is KEWL! :D ;)

Don't forget that you also can use soft doors and what not too once you have these things...

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
It's a very ancient thread, but someone asked me today for details of the door corner fillers. I did this drawing shortly after I finished the project years ago, and it was available until last year on my Scrambler site, which is no longer, so here's the drawing.

DoorCorner_zpsrfctqlxl-1.jpg