• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Before & After Pictures

bobbysjeep

Legacy Registered User
City
Charlotte
State
NC
I just finished polishing and waxing the Jeep. When I first bought it back in December, I was planning to have it painted within a month or two, well I had some unexpected things deplete my "paint fund" (My Honda's motor blew up). So I bought a $125 Porter Cable orbital buffer instead. I had to polish with different cutting compounds to get the severe oxidation off, then wax it. It turned out better than I could have imagined, I'm keeping the original paint now.

I still have to do the windshield frame and the upper part of the door frame I'm also going to put black vinyl around the door handles.

1984SLBefore3-1.jpg

1984SLBefore2-1.jpg

1984SLBefore-1.jpg

1984SL2-1.jpg

1984SL-1.jpg

Last edited:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I'm impressed! Looks great!

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Nice!!

Holy COW!
You wanna do MINE??? LOL! That looks great man! Funny how the phrase "pollishing a turd" originally came to mind but yours turned out to be a diamond!:cheers:

manicman1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
those rails look awesome as well

are those the ones you had sourced locally?

manicman1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
another question

your top....that is more than a buff and wax job :-)

what did you use on it?

bobbysjeep

Legacy Registered User
City
Charlotte
State
NC
those rails look awesome as well

are those the ones you had sourced locally?

manticman1, yes an elderly man down the road from me, he does good work.

Thanks, hows your project coming along?

another question

your top....that is more than a buff and wax job :-)

what did you use on it?

I used satin black (Krylon, I think) from Walmart and some blue painter tape.

Funny how the phrase "pollishing a turd" originally came to mind but yours turned out to be a diamond!

Who said you can't polish a turd?

Last edited:

manicman1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
My project is now in pieces....took it apart the other day...the body is heading to the paint shop Monday...the frame will be sandblasted and heading to the powder coater around the same time

am starting to order the stainless bolt kit....looking for a replacement dash now....hopefully will have some before and after pictures in a month or so

if the guy is still making the rails I may be in the market for those as well

Craner8

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Orlando
State
FL
Are you kidding? It came out great. It IS a diamond!

AusCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Melbourne, Australia
State
AU
Bobby that looks great, Ive got the same color combo - and my paint is ok but needs a good bit of loving! ...any particular polish/wax brand you used?

bobbysjeep

Legacy Registered User
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Before I started I removed mirrors, flares, latches, spare tire mount, tail lights, ect...I used these three Meguiars products. On the hood and other severally oxidized areas, I had to keep going over and over with the cut compound. That took several hours (over a few weeks), then Saturday I when over the entire Jeep with the finishing polish and lastly the wax.

Polish-1.jpg

The buffer is not considered a professional model, you can put on the most aggressive compound, turn it up to full speed and just hold it in one place and it will not burn off the paint. Which was good for me since I had never used one before.

Polisher-1.jpg

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I hope everyone looks at this and sees what you can do with original paint... I learned this on my grandfather's ranchero. The huge majority of folks completely underestimate the possibilities to revive old paint

:thumbsup:

AusCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Melbourne, Australia
State
AU
Thanks Bobby - will start to have a go at mine on the weekend with the same ingredients!

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Hmm...now you got me thinking. I wonder if my OE paint is saveable...