• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Owners of 1982 Scramblers... narrow or wide track, two or three point harnesses?

Joe West

Arizona Virtual Jeep Club
Lifetime Member
City
Laurinburg
State
NC
Hi Gang,

This thread is a bifurcation of another thread where the topic of the production changes from narrow track and two point lab belts arose.

Sometime in 1982, Jeep changed from narrow track axles and two point lap belts to wide track axles and three point shoulder belts. The question is... was there any rhyme or reason to the timing of the change or was it random... i.e.; Whatever part was available was put on and there was no sequencing to the change.

So... to kick it off, my 1982 Scrambler is sequence number 066858 and it came from the factory with wide track axles and three point harnesses. It also came from the factory with a hard half top and full doors (not sure if this matters).

I'll try to look up the production dates on a few of the components to see what date my Scrambler was produced.

If you have a 1982 Scrambler, please post as much information as you have regarding sequence number (the end of your VIN), wide or narrow track and two or three point harnesses. If you know how your Scrambler came from the factory (hard top or soft top), state that as well.

Let's see if we can't figure this out.

Joe

Last edited:

Joe West

Lifetime Member
City
Laurinburg
State
NC
A follow-on.

My engine number is 206C21 which is a June 21st, 1982 production date. The actual main assembly of the Jeep would have been sometime after this date, which makes my Jeep a rather late 1982 model.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
026XXX

Widetrack axes

2-point belts (now 3-point)

151 4 cyl (now '79 232 6 cyl)

T-5/D300

Hard Half Top

Roll Bar Mounted Spare

No hood decal, or body side badges

Originally sold in south Arizona, next owner bought it a year later (with a second one at the same time), given to relative in early '90s, I bought it 12/09. It remained on the same ranch in Arizona from '83 to '09.

JEEPTHRILLS

Legacy Registered User
City
State
interesting thread. I wonder if we will figure it out.

Series # : 0076XX
date on sticker unreadable
lap belts
soft top/ doors
no stickers or emblems that I am aware of ( was repainted prior to my taking ownership)
wide track axles/2.73 gears
no dimple or provision for shoulder harness
rear tire rack
radio delete
4.2L/TF999/D300
under hood light
HD cooling

engine was replaced by the PO, and the tranny was either rebuilt or replaced...so no reliable numbers there. Stock axles are under my CJ7 now...and buried in the snow. I think I remember a mid 1981 date on my t-case though......will check when I get it on a rack to rebuild the rear diff (again!!)next week.

Last edited:

Joe West

Lifetime Member
City
Laurinburg
State
NC
If you found a D300 transfer case date decoder, could you please send me a link to it or tell me how you figured out the date? I haven't been able to find anything on the web yet.

JEEPTHRILLS

Legacy Registered User
City
State
it is just cast on the tail cone in standard Jullian calender format. If I recall correctly...again I will verify next week.

Joe West

Lifetime Member
City
Laurinburg
State
NC
LOL... I had a picture of mine from previous work... just like you said, it is cast on the tail housing of the D300

My D300 date reads 4/1/82

Sheesh... I was scanning the tag trying to figure it out and there it was right in front of me. :)

Thanks!

JEEPTHRILLS

Legacy Registered User
City
State
remember the importance of K.I.S.S!!!!

KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID!!!!:banghead:

I have been gulty of it myself.....quite a few times!!:crazy:

Last edited:

kohldad

SOA Member
City
Goose Creek
State
SC
series 029060

4.2L auto

Widetrack axles

2-point lap belt

Can't confirm if engine is original but VIN confirms the 4.2

I don't think it really has any rhyme of reason, more of a case of what was available. Wouldn't be surprised if the axles and roll cages were mixed from shuffling stock so what ever hit the assembly line is the combo that came out.

jallan

Jallan
City
Gulfport
State
MS
Series # 13410
September 1982
4.2L SR4
Widetrack axles
Lap belts (no provision in top/roll bar for 3 point)
Hard top/doors
Original paint, no decals. Has all Laredo trim (chrome grill, clock/tach, steering wheel, dash striping, chrome front bumper, chrome wheels, 20 gal tank, AC, under hood light/hood liner, hd cooling)

Joe West

Lifetime Member
City
Laurinburg
State
NC
Just to make sure... since my Jeep seems to the the oddball late model 82 with narrow track axles; this is a narrow track axle... yes?

attachment.php

Joe West

Lifetime Member
City
Laurinburg
State
NC
I'm guessing these must be wide track axles... which would fit with everyone else. It doesn't make sense if these are narrow track axles.

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
I'm guessing these must be wide track axles... which would fit with everyone else. It doesn't make sense if these are narrow track axles.

Yes, the front is a DANA Wide-Trac model 30. The shocks mount directly to the axle housing rather than to the lower spring u-bolt bracket and the "Tower" top mount is about 5 inches above the frame rather than 1.5" above the frame.

:wave:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Build date 5/19/82.

Widetrack axles, 3.54 gears.

T176, D300, 151 Iron Duke.

Cal emissions.

3 Point harness.

Full hardtop w/ rear lockbox/seat base installed prior to purchase at dealership.

But none of the above mentioned items are in my Scrambler anymore...I'm the second owner...should have restored it stock but that's not my style...:rolleyes:

I actually found the original build sheet under the passenger seat- between the cushion and springs.

build_sheet_smudge-1.jpg

window_sticker_smudge-1.jpg

dealer_price-1.jpg

The above pics are in my Gallery, they enlarge really nicely there-

Last edited:

jims chop shop

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
stafford
State
va
82 base model
wide track 3;31(now 4;56)
lap belts
258 /t5 /d300 (soon to be 360/t176 /d300

Joe West

Lifetime Member
City
Laurinburg
State
NC
So... a summary of the data so far...

No narrow track axles on an 82 model.

Somewhere between sequence number 040383 and 064090 seat belts were switched from 2 point lap belts to 3 point harnesses.

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN

This one came with Lap Belts and Wide-Trac axles *040070 ;)

:wave:

Last edited: