ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Did some more work today, since the transfercase input shaft will take so long to get, I am shifting gears to body and frame work.

Moved all the pool floats, water skies, wake boards, etc... to boat storage and out of the bed and off the roof this week.

Removed the tailgate, brake lights, tailgate brackets, front shock towers, bulkhead, half top, seats, gun rack, driver’s step, seat belt, and other misc parts. The passenger side step has 3 bolts that are frozen and the capture nut on the step broke free. I will need to use heat to remove them.

27A71FBE-F5D6-4272-AFE7-038BC590BDC1.jpeg

Last edited:

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
The body is not in terrible shape, but it lead a hard life.

The rear corners are toast.

9CE16E72-CF0D-4DE8-95AF-5D5F59FC3C09.jpeg

ADC5C403-06D6-4213-A514-5C43430962DD.jpeg

The bed floor is solid but nowhere near flat.

7C1E008A-AED3-4342-B451-2922F447DD00.jpeg

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
The driver side quarter panel has been replaced at some point, and it was not installed well. They basically booger welded it on about every 8 inches and covered the rest with seam sealer. When I knocked out the seam sealer it revealed about 1/4” gap between the bed floor and quarter panel.

DA0F1E1F-1E54-4EA7-A34F-2F39F3CF906C.jpeg

Light shining up from under the body.

18279673-197B-4903-8ED5-92E20B68FA5E.jpeg

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Additional issues to resolve, holes and cracks where the “exocage” was mounted.

509B213E-9929-4CAE-8FBF-C5A5FF3EB114.jpeg

This is on both sides above the Jeep.

Fix the joint from the quarter panel replacement in the driver door jamb.

0BFAE754-5226-4DED-A64A-2C60B8F2E27F.jpeg

Replace the panel under the tailgate.

9F7234D3-5357-4006-A1DC-936B20E0D44D.jpeg

Fix a hole and stress crack in firewall by clutch rod hole.

D02D863A-F551-4F6E-A89C-6B9C857ED469.jpeg

I have not removed the roll bar yet. Surprise surprise surprise the bolts are frozen solid. They will need heat to release at a minimum. Hopefully they come out.

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Good news is the floor boards are in great shape. Only areas needing massaging are where the side steps mount. They have been tweaked when the steps were used as rock sliders.

5B8216D4-F886-48B0-8235-704BFB134BD7.jpeg

2C60F660-B4CA-48C4-85F9-25F849CDE60B.jpeg

walkerhoundvm

Typical Know-it-all
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
I have not removed the roll bar yet. Surprise surprise surprise the bolts are frozen solid. They will need heat to release at a minimum. Hopefully they come out.
I bet you'll be OK. As far gone as my tub was, the rollbar bolts weren't too bad. I soaked just about everything in pb blaster for several weeks though. Every weekend I'd give every tub-to-frame bolt a hit until the restoration officially started.

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Been hitting some of the bolts with PB, most bolts came loose dry no PB needed. I will keep hitting them with PB, need to get the body mounts sprayed too. So far, I have only broken one bolt (grill to crossmember) and bent one (battery box/fender support to tub bolt). The battery bolt is the only one I am upset over. It is bent in a nice half moon shape and will probably need to be replaced.

I don’t have an impact driver yet, the kind you hit with a hammer. That is my plan to get them broken free, or just broken. o_O I could also try to use my breaker bar with a cheater pipe, but I fear breaking the torx bit that way.

The trailer hitch from the previous owner has 2 bolts in the frame that are spinning and inaccessible. I will need to use the angle grinder on those. Guess they will need to wait till the body is off and the gas tank is removed. Or remove the rear crossmember so I can try to get a wrench on it. Got a new crossmember on the way from chiefwaho so it will be removed anyway.

I will say, the Arizona desert is great for vehicle preservation. Glad we made the 2 day drive one way to get this one instead of buying a rusted out local one. It was also a fun trip, just wish we had taken more time and done more exploring around Sedona. Guess we will need to take it back after we are done.

Last edited:

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Started on the roll bar bolts. Loosened 2, and then

E03EC3FC-63E6-4EDC-B41D-BA0BAE9B3730.jpeg

Grabbed my cheap HF tool, and loosened 3 more, then

F60BE8B2-6535-4BA6-B709-7DFDED781E53.jpeg

Time to test the Sears Craftsman warranty, if I can find a store still in business.

Interesting the Sears one sheared off, and the HF one is just bending.

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I bring them a broken made in USA tool, and they give me a made in China tool. And they wonder why they have lost market share. >:(

5BFCBBA6-3EB4-4607-B2A2-AE5248DA9BE1.jpeg

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Ace hardware near me has sold craftsmen for several years now. Lowes is the "new home for Craftsmen". FWIW Stanley now owns craftsmen and my broken craftsmen loppers will be replaced with stanley ones when the local store gets in their spring shipment of yard tools. According to 2 guys at Sears today.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
I broke about 12 craftsmen torx bits trying to get a rollbar out over 20 years ago. Never did get it out.

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I think snap on and cornwell are still made here. There might be more. Not sure about matco.

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
HELP!

How do you get this one out:

80B5B5BA-116F-4E7F-9D50-9E69714CFD69.jpeg

That is the passenger side behind the roll bar. I can’t get a wrench on it. The roll bar leans back and occupies the space a ratchet head needs. I was lucky enough to get the driver’s side out with the breaker bar and a swivel joint, but the passenger side, no luck.

Also, I only have one more stubborn bolt. The torx threads in the bolt head have stripped. Will need to use a left had drill bit to try and drill it out, if that fails, then possibly a screw extractor, but I hesitate to use that due to the hardness of a snapped off extractor. Darn near impossible to fix a snapped of extractor.

87B7E7E7-F972-457B-A351-8A86B7DEFF11.jpeg

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
If you remove the cab divider it will be much easier to get to. If you can't get the ratchet in there, just use the torx bit with a wrench or maybe once the divider is out, the torx socket with a breaker bar.

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Bulkhead is removed, this is the one towards the rear, between the roll bar and rear wheel well.

Tried the torx bit with a 5/16” wrench and the wrench on wrench extension, but there is not enough torque to free it.

If the bar did not lean back and out, right over the bolt it would be a bit easier.

CJ7Pilot

LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
This is a tough one for sure! I broke three torx bits taking my roll bar out, and I twisted another one. I used most of a can of PB Blaster, over about 10 days, but I never did apply any heat (I didn't want the PB Blaster to ignite). I eventually got it done... but it was a pain!

Just keep blasting it, and wrenching it, until it comes loose. If the torx head strips, then drill the head off... at least that willl leave you a stub to work with after the roll bar is removed.

Good luck! :cheers:

City
Willis
State
Tx
Find a hex nut with an ID just smaller than the head of the bolt. Weld the nut to the bolt on the inside of the nut. Know you have heated the bolt and can also get a wrench on it.