• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

1982 CJ-10 Build Thread

CivilJack

Basic User
City
Uxbridge
State
On
Good day Everyone,

Some of you may know this truck if you are in the Project Survivor Facebook group. I had found a CJ10, yes a real CJ10, sitting at a local jeep parts store. It had been sitting there for the past 20 years. This truck came from a mine in Northern Ontario. I have heard the mine had bought around 15-20 of these trucks. In the 90s they retired them and the trucks were either scrapped or left in the mine. A fellow saw some of these trucks and bought them, he scored 3-4. Mine was the only complete one (has 25,819 kilometers or 16,043 miles), the others were just tubs. Either December 2015/16 I put a deposit on it and June 2017 I had worked and earned enough money to go and pick it up on my 16th Birthday. We brought it home and parked it outside, unfortunately. We had rigged up a way to start it, and un-seized the starter. It started straight up.

Well, today I am bringing it to our shop where I will tear it down over the winter and slowly start to restore it. My plan, I will start to remove the interior and get the bed and cab off the frame. Get a better look at the condition of the tub and bed. Decide what is salvageable and what isn't. Then go from there, clean the frame, get it powder coated. Get the brake lines all redone. Replace the power steering box.

I have collected a few parts for it, I am going to be putting a Warn SE 8274 and a bush guard from a Jamboree on the front. I have NOS Australian emblems. I have NOS mudflaps from a dealer in Australia and a CJ10 Manual reprint. I found a take off bed that was stored in a trailer for the past 35 years. It was removed at a dealer in Michigan when they chopped the CJ10 down to a tug, this dealer put the bed into a trailer instead of scrapping it like they were supposed to. That is where it has been until I came a crossed it. I have not found a rear bumper for it so I will use a scrambler or a Comanche bumper unless I can get my hands on a Alaskan Postal rear bumper or the real CJ10 bumper. For the interior I came across a nice 60/40 seat that I am trying to make a deal with that I think would be AMAZING in this CJ-10.

We have a few goodies, my uncle has a 1986 J-10 pioneer and 1983 Scrambler w/ A/C that he is restoring, then my father has a 1979 CJ5 Silver Anniversary with 15,000 miles all original but rough. My other uncle has a 1979 CJ5 Silver Anniversary that my father bought in 81, we have the original invoice for this Silver Anniversary.

Update: The CJ10 is in a heated shop, it started right up in 23 °F weather. Just let the glow plugs warm up for 5-8 seconds and it starts right up. Amazing engine!

Since everyone loves photos :thumbsup:

Here is the Jeep 20+ years ago before it was bought by this Jeep parts place and sat.
24428661228_79806f2606_z-1.jpg

38299288251_134e6d44ef_z-1.jpg

When we went to pick it up
26524562669_5d7b45008c_z-1.jpg

26524572619_ef27c83178_z-1.jpg

38299363631_c35570dbbf_z-1.jpg

These photos are from a few weeks after it has been home. I put the head board from the new bed on it to see what it looks like with it on.

26524443089_36a9a1e625_z-1.jpg

38267662612_1d4ab4b394_z-1.jpg

26524443929_f8b4dae34f_z-1.jpg

35 year old rubber... I would not drive on these.

26524450749_abf06edd9e_z-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

CivilJack

Basic User
City
Uxbridge
State
On
Ah shoot. Didn't know you can't edit replys. Well I'm new to this... Maybe admin can help and turn the last 3 replys into the reply.

Here's two photos of the "new" bed.

24428690788_e3ae7a5e48_o-1.jpg

24428688278_aac6d04b90_o-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
dirty girl is cleaning up well

DeLuke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Dallas
State
TX
That's awesome. I can't wait to see more and progress.

mwqpd11

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Coopersburg
State
PA
D982A4F0-64CE-41B4-B296-64CCC170C9DD.jpeg
That’s awesome! Mine is a wanna be CJ 10a. I did Dana 44s with a LJ back for a bed. Wheelbase of 103

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Fixed the photos. You have to use the "BBCode" share and Flickr tries to trick people back onto their site by sticking the actual image code inside a URL to go to the photo's page on Flickr and away from the forum.

This is the full URL that they give you for the share:
1982_CJ-10_Build_Thread.jpg

This is all the stuff you can delete, everything outside of the "
" tags:
1982_CJ-10_Build_Thread copy.jpg

This is what's left and it works fine without all the embedded link:
1982_CJ-10_Build_Thread 2.png

LOL, I just realized that our "fix" for remote hosted images had already pulled down these images to our server. You can see the updated URL in the middle of the
forum
tags. The principle is still the same, just that when you copy it from Flickr, there will be a flicker.com URL in there.

Last edited:

CivilJack

Basic User
City
Uxbridge
State
On
Fixed the photos. You have to use the "BBCode" share and Flickr tries to trick people back onto their site by sticking the actual image code inside a URL to go to the photo's page on Flickr and away from the forum.

View attachment 60053

This is all the stuff you can delete, everything outside of the
forum
tags:
View attachment 60054

View attachment 60055

Thank you Bigwalton!! This will help me so much in the future.

CivilJack

Basic User
City
Uxbridge
State
On

View attachment 60053

This is all the stuff you can delete, everything outside of the
forum
tags:
View attachment 60054

View attachment 60055

LOL, I just realized that our "fix" for remote hosted images had already pulled down these images to our server. You can see the updated URL in the middle of the
forum
tags. The principle is still the same, just that when you copy it from Flickr, there will be a flicker.com URL in there.

Unfortunately you accidentally removed the link to the video. When you click on the photo it would take you to flickr where you could watch the CJ10 driving into the shop. https://flic.kr/p/21mnBK2 Unless you can embed a video from flickr straight into the post...

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Unfortunately you accidentally removed the link to the video. When you click on the photo it would take you to flickr where you could watch the CJ10 driving into the shop. https://flic.kr/p/21mnBK2 Unless you can embed a video from flickr straight into the post...

Ack, sorry. Went back to edit that for you. The problem with the way that they "share" the video inside the URL is that it's not obvious that you can get to a video by clicking, it just looks like another photo. I like the way I did it, just paste the link directly in as text so everyone sees it.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Look great! That bed find is amazing! Can't wait to see more progress!

CivilJack

Basic User
City
Uxbridge
State
On
Picked up my bush guard today. I'd like to use the warn SE winch on the CJ10, so I will need to find or make a warn center section. Looks great in front of the warn 8274 SE.

26716795589_8f375e1d02_c-1.jpg

CivilJack

Basic User
City
Uxbridge
State
On
Yesterday we cleaned up the shop. Moved the CJ10 to a proper spot and organized the area a little bit. It's still crammed and we have to get rid of some junk soon.

The J10s bed is getting painted this week, so then we'll move the J10 out to get it painted. The scrambler just had its rad re-cored. Got a new frame cover on the front and it's going to get the rear rust fixed soon.
Silver Anniversary just sits as is... All we're doing is collecting parts for it right now.
37791982564_9a9b3b5075_c-1.jpg

I brought the brush guard over to see how it would look. Currently it's a love, hate relation. I like it, but at some angles it looks weird...

37791986644_c082773876_c-1.jpg

(I must've bent the right light during transport, just noticing that now...
38507356211_166540fd55_c-1.jpg

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Very cool stuff! I'm of the opinion that the bumper is too far from the grille on CJs for a full-on brush guard. They look great head-on but any other angle it's just too far out from the grille. :shrug:

Really like the small winch guard hoops because they stay right there near the winch, like the Runck I have on my Postal.

I'd rock that Warn and move those driving lights over to a simple bumper. :twocents:

Regardless, this thread is full of win. :bacon:

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
Yesterday we cleaned up the shop. Moved the CJ10 to a proper spot and organized the area a little bit. It's still crammed and we have to get rid of some junk soon.

If you got rid of the non-Jeep stuff you'd have plenty of room.:rotfl:

JK
Nice shop/collection of Jeeps. :thumbsup: