• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

1983 Jeep Scrambler issues

Scramblerbert

City
Schenectady
State
NY
O.K. Great . if the supplier I contacted yesterday does not come thru I will check these out. Appreciate the help. Also I was told Girling no longer supports my clutch master cylinder assembly or kits so most rebuild kits are long gone.

Dave The Sparky

Rebuilding my CJ8 very,very slowly...
City
Halifax
State
UK
You could be right, its the way of the modern world to sell you another one rather than repair what you have, they would prefer you to buy a new one.

Yeah and just trying to help, i know how it feels working the other way round trying to get rare parts from the US to the UK.

Scramblerbert

City
Schenectady
State
NY
Appreciate you help. It works both ways. If you need something over here do not hesitate to ask. Sure we can figure out shipping to you.

Scramblerbert

City
Schenectady
State
NY
Hi ,Thought I would post that I found the rebuilding kit hopefully I need. Are being ordered and should be her in about 2 weeks. Will let you know if it is indeed the correct kit and it's current part number. If I get this job completed will jump on the brake system. Have been reading about converting the system from manual brakes to power brakes. Current system is shot as no pedal and assume all the components need to be rebuilt including new lines so may be time to convert. Thanks.

Scramblerbert

City
Schenectady
State
NY
O.K. Well guess what no go on a kit. Looks like Girling is not filling orders to suppliers so I am done. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good Clutch master cylinder for my Scrambler that will last? I need the .875 diameter one. Looks like range from cheap $35.00 ones up to up to over $70.00 for the OMIX one. Being told many are junk. Been waiting over 2 months to fix this problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Crapshoot. I’ve had a couple last years. Haven’t hooked up yet the one I got from Novak, but I imagine they just got one of the ones out there

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Not even sure it is marked. My old one is still on the Jeep and is not marked.. I think the original that came on the Jeep new may have been Girling. In a box someplace

Scramblerbert

City
Schenectady
State
NY
Yes Girling was used when new. I am being told I need the .875 diameter bore to match the slave cylinder. A smaller bore master cylinder (.750) will require more effort to engage the clutch arm. So we are pretty much screwed on junk parts. Just went thru this with an air cooled VW engine rebuild. Have to constantly recheck what you are buying. Vendors are subsituting parts that are inferior. Even struggling to get OEM wheel cylinder diameters for a vintage Corvette. Again vendors are substituting smaller size bores then leading to poor brake performance.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
I think when I was looking at Novak some time back there were at least 2 sizes they had.