• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

1983 Scrambler "STUMP JUMPER". Frame off, 5.3 Conversion.

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
I haven't totally ruled out using a traction bar setup but I am leaning to a 4 link with plenty of adjustment.

elusive

Basic User
City
temecula
State
ca
leaf springs were great tech in 1850. build a proper 4 link.
I just put an artec 4 link kit into my scrambler with a 5.3.
I ordered the kit for a TJ and installed it with a disk brake 14 bolt
very complete kit but I made the links a little too long and had clearance issues with my (drivers side drop) NP241. I used stock TJ springs and ended up with about 4" of lift. the right way would likely be outboarded coilovers if you want to keep the ride height low, though the AMC 20 width may not allow for it.
Don't forget that you'll likely need new exhaust, brake lines, and fuel line routing because the bracket welds to the frame.

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
leaf springs were great tech in 1850. build a proper 4 link.
I just put an artec 4 link kit into my scrambler with a 5.3.
I ordered the kit for a TJ and installed it with a disk brake 14 bolt
very complete kit but I made the links a little too long and had clearance issues with my (drivers side drop) NP241. I used stock TJ springs and ended up with about 4" of lift. the right way would likely be outboarded coilovers if you want to keep the ride height low, though the AMC 20 width may not allow for it.
Don't forget that you'll likely need new exhaust, brake lines, and fuel line routing because the bracket welds to the frame.

I tried(attempted) using coil springs between the frame and axle with my 4-link but found out too quickly that it would coil bind long before the tires were inside of the wheel wells. If you mount the coil springs inboard, then you lose stability. Running only 35" tires, there's not a whole lot of room to work with back there with stock width axles.

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
I tried(attempted) using coil springs between the frame and axle with my 4-link but found out too quickly that it would coil bind long before the tires were inside of the wheel wells. If you mount the coil springs inboard, then you lose stability. Running only 35" tires, there's not a whole lot of room to work with back there with stock width axles.

Exactly. Not much room under these little trucks. I just might go to a single traction bar since I don't want to jack the truck up any higher.

Hookymnstr

CJ-8 Member
City
Nederland
State
TX
Any fab/parts site has the components to build a 4 link. I used Ruffstuff Specialites, but Genright has a great kit as well. As mysunshine stated not much room stock or close to it for a the coilovers needed. Give Ben at Filthymotorsports.com a call and discuss your needs. He is full of great info and can help you line out any challenges.

If you decide to go 4 link I can give you some insight as I just finished mine. I think I am just a few hours west of you as well. May have to come check out Stump Jumper one day once mine is finished.

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
I don't want to reread 70 pages of posts to find out but did you ever talk about what type of MPG you are getting with this Jeep/motor combo? I really do not like my 25 anymore and I converted to Howell fuel injection and still need more. I guess it is the downfall of driving V8 sport cars as daily drivers. I just want to get more out of it and when I built the Jeep the budget stopped me from going LS.

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
I don't want to reread 70 pages of posts to find out but did you ever talk about what type of MPG you are getting with this Jeep/motor combo? I really do not like my 25 anymore and I converted to Howell fuel injection and still need more. I guess it is the downfall of driving V8 sport cars as daily drivers. I just want to get more out of it and when I built the Jeep the budget stopped me from going LS.

I measure fuel mileage in wee's and watch this chit.

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
My Scangauge II show 14.9 average I saw 18.5 once at 65 MPH on a longer trip. I have a high performance cam and 4:10 gears.
I'm now working on installing electric power windows and door locks with remote start and keyless entry.

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
I sold the Hummer. 7 MPG just wasn't cutting it anymore but I sure enjoyed that monster.
So now I'm driving Stump Jumper everywhere. It now has almost 10,000 miles since being restored and hasn't needed a wrench on it yet. Let me tell you though, a Scrambler with a LS at around 400 HP will get your blood flowing.

Last edited:

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
I used the aluminum radiator and electric fan from Advanced Adapters, Runs cool even on the hottest days in city traffic Absolutely no problems.

Last edited: