• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

2019 Scrambler Owners Association - National Scramble - Hurricane, UT

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
For the last day of the National, with the return trip to MI looming and given the trail selection for the day, I talked myself into parking the Postal and riding with the Moderate-Difficult group in Dylan's Scrambler. It was a great day and a good call as I would have been a wreck on the trail they did if I were in the Postal. Great trail and there wasn't any breakage, so it would have been a blast -- if I'd had a truck/trailer.

I'm drawing a blank on the trail name, someone hopefully will chime in on it. Maybe 'Double Double?'

IMG_3669.JPG

IMG_3670.JPG

IMG_3671.JPG

IMG_3678.JPG

IMG_3682.JPG

IMG_3686.JPG

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
That's my coverage from the event, so many more photos but that hit the high points.

I drove straight home from Sand Hollow at best possible speed. Made it in two and a half days of (mostly boring) driving straight across I-70 and 80. That is a SERIOUSLY long haul...

Ron84cj

Engine nerd
Lifetime Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
Wow! This looked like it was a lot of fun! I just checked and according to Google maps its a 1700 mile drive for me, holy crap. That's a long way to drive if especially if something got damaged on the Jeep.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Wow! This looked like it was a lot of fun! I just checked and according to Google maps its a 1700 mile drive for me, holy crap. That's a long way to drive if especially if something got damaged on the Jeep.

You bring tools and some spare stuff and deal with whatever you have to. Ride slightly easier trails. I generally do the hardest ride of the event the first day so that I have a couple days if something goes wrong and then go easier the next day(s). This year I didn't get to do that because I was voluntold to lead a scenic ride the first day, but it was fine.

This trip I had spare driveshafts, front axle shafts, a stub shaft, u-joints, fuel pump, oil filter, tie rod, tcase/axle yokes, hoses, and more that I can't think of with lots of little nuts/bolts/wire/fuses/connectors/etc that I generally always carry.

Thanks to my electric radiator fan going out, I now have a spare fan setup (bought at NAPA in Moab and just put in a new Contour dual fan yesterday) that will be going along for future trips.

Driving out and back turns the trip there/home into part of the fun. With as many trailer and truck problems as seem to occur every National, I don't feel like my odds of having an issue are that much different than folks that trailer.

CJ8LVR

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
Madison
State
AL
Just wanted to chime in here as I've just now found time to come back and revisit this thread.
I remember having discussions with the board and others trying to sell folks on this location. It wasn't completely easy as I was among probably two other members that had ever been to the area. With probably pushing a dozen or more trips to the area, I was probably the most connected "on the ground" there and kinda stuck my neck out as I often do and over-volunteered (also as I often do - it's just my dumb nature) and we pulled it off. Coming back to this thread, reading about your experiences, seeing your pictures.... just makes me real happy. I love this country and love sharing it with others and bringing people to the really exceptional lands that really make this country special. There's so many people in our country that never see these places. To me, it's really rewarding to share it in anyway that I can. Even if just through my own pictures in my travels for my company. Thank y'all for coming. See you down the trail.

Ornj Krush

City
Lake Country
State
BC
Thank you for sharing all the pics. It was a pleasure to amble through them and see all the nice rigs!!

timothy

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
baltimore
State
oh
Eric, u were close on the name of the trail, it was Double Sammy

MomoJeep

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Seattle
State
WA
Will this happen again? Was this year cancelled due to the pandemic?