• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

258 I-6: Oil Capacity?

MS86CJ7

Basic User
Autozone says 5 quarts. I have read many Jeepers on the net, though, who swear it holds 6 quarts.

Anyone have any input on this subject?

Thanks.

Marine-OpLaw

'ANTIQUATED' PackRat
City
Fredericksburg
State
VA
All of mine read full w/ five.

I noticed the same discrephancy... but I've never used six (6) quarts, only five. That is WITH a filter change. Five gives me a full 'reading' on the dipstick, and that's good enough for me.

I'd love to know where the six (6) comes from....:confused:

dcompton

Basic User
City
Front Royal
State
VA
uh yep

As usual I'm with Marine-OpLaw. 5 Quarts with a filter change. I have the Haynes manual that shows 6 also. And if I'm not mistaken so does Chiltons.

The first oil change I did on mine I used 6. Man, it is scary to pull that dip stick and see that you're a full quart over full. You're just waiting to hear the seals blow. That didn't happen of course, it would probably take more oil than that.

Have fun!

DC

Swampdonkey

Basic User
yep yep 5 quarts

My repair books said the same thing about needing 6 quarts...who in the hell knows where they got that from? I'm with these guys 5 is the number

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Depends on the number/rate of leaks in your 258 :D :D

Some might be 10-20 before a change, and that's WTIHOUT the filter :D :D

I do 5 also in reality.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
I remember this coming up when I was younger. My Chiltons said 6, the owners manual said 5. Guy who worked on my Jeep when I was too scared to do it myself said he put in about 5.2 quarts with a filter and that put it dead on the "full mark" on the dipstick.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
This is out of the 1984 - 1986 Jeep MR-252 Manual. Take it or not. image.jpegimage.jpeg

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I thought you meant oil consumption........ my bad. I will see myself out.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
I put 5 quarts plus in but not 6. I use the larger filter J trucks call for. Some books oil filter application books call for the larger one but most call for the smaller one. Larger filter obviously means more oil needed to hit full mark.

MomoJeep

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Seattle
State
WA
I almost always change oil myself.. but I was out of town, went to Jiffy. Their books called for 6 qts. Apparently all the FSM's say SIX!? It does look overfilled on my dipstick. I drove for a bit and checked it. No Foaming. I drove a few hundred miles on the freeway, no foaming, no leaks.

But I do wish we could get to the bottom of this annoying riddle. I don't wanna run 5 if it supposed to have 6! I heard a rumor that there may be aftermarket dipsticks sold that were not the right fit? Has anyone ever gotten to the bottom of this?

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
I almost always change oil myself.. but I was out of town, went to Jiffy. Their books called for 6 qts. Apparently all the FSM's say SIX!? It does look overfilled on my dipstick. I drove for a bit and checked it. No Foaming. I drove a few hundred miles on the freeway, no foaming, no leaks.

But I do wish we could get to the bottom of this annoying riddle. I don't wanna run 5 if it supposed to have 6! I heard a rumor that there may be aftermarket dipsticks sold that were not the right fit? Has anyone ever gotten to the bottom of this?
What have you been running when you did your oil changes?
The dip stick tubes and dip sticks are a matched set.
I know they're different lengths, don't remember which is which, I think the '83 and up are longer.
Is your dip stick original, does it have a part #?

MomoJeep

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Seattle
State
WA
What have you been running when you did your oil changes?
The dip stick tubes and dip sticks are a matched set.
I know they're different lengths, don't remember which is which, I think the '83 and up are longer.
Is your dip stick original, does it have a part #?
I've been running 5 qts. Also had a head (valve seats) go bad on me after 30k miles (not sure if their related). Now when I put in 6 qts (w/ filter change) it appears to read about a quart overfilled! It's confusing when manuals says 6qts, but then the dipstick reads full at 5 qts.

Yes, my dipstick is # 3242441 and then "M"

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
I use an oil filter for an FSJ . It's a little bigger and I use 5.5 quarts I believe. I always check the dipstick and go from there.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
This is the 84 owners manual in the glove box. 5 + 1 for the filter = 6 Since I have not filled my engine yet I don't know. I'm going to be watching the dip stick closely.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 10

MomoJeep

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Seattle
State
WA
This all makes sense. But what doesn't make sense is that I just put in 6qts with a filter change (and ran the engine for a bit, then let it settle), and then the dipsticks reads about a quart over "Full".

I'm fine with using 5.5 or 6 qts, but why does the dipstick read FULL after 5 qts (including the oil in the filter?)

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
I've been running 5 qts. Also had a head (valve seats) go bad on me after 30k miles (not sure if their related). Now when I put in 6 qts (w/ filter change) it appears to read about a quart overfilled! It's confusing when manuals says 6qts, but then the dipstick reads full at 5 qts.

Yes, my dipstick is # 3242441 and then "M"
Your part # is the correct '83-'86 dipstick.

Do you know the history of the engine?
Is it possible it has the '81-'82 tube?

Maybe if you can post a pic of your tube someone else ( I'm nowhere near mine right now) can compare to theirs to see which one you have.