• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

81 Scrambler Rebuild

AZRic

CJ-8 Member
City
Glendale
State
AZ
Also what does everyone use to drill out body mount holes after replacing the mounts??

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Looking good. Are you still keeping the flex fuel capabilities? If so, you did get the fuel composition sensor from the donor vehicle? It is located near the fuel tank and evap canister.

I have the same engine (from an ‘03) I am putting in my’82 and plan to keep the flex fuel.

AZRic

CJ-8 Member
City
Glendale
State
AZ
no i didn't get it...do i need it? Not planning on using anything but normal fuel.

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
no i didn't get it...do i need it? Not planning on using anything but normal fuel.
If you have the guy in Missouri do your computer, he can "weed out" the flex fuel scripts of the software. I think that means he essentially neuters the computer so any flex data that should be there is ignored.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
What walkerhoundvm said (y)

If you do want to retain the ability to run more than E15, then the computer needs a way of knowing what blend of fuel is being burned. If you have 1/2 a tank of E15 and fill up with E85, the engine needs to know you have something between the two fuels and adjust the injector duration to allow proper fuel/air ratio and adjust ignition timing. This is necessary due to energy density of the fuels. E85 requires a higher volume of fuel for the same power. Now there are some benefits to E85. You can advance the timing and get more power from the engine since alcohol is less susceptible to preignition than gas. This is the reason “top fuel” drag cars run alcohol. Less energy density, but higher total energy production capability.

Easiest route is to have a custom tune done on the computer. The tuners will replace your factory flex tune with a factory non-flex tune then modify that tune to fit your use case. Some will just modify the flex tune in the computer to delete the flex parameters. With the modern software for engine tuning they have a feature called “segment swap”. This allows you to pull out a portion of the computer program and swap in a portion from a different program. Makes getting your baseline setup fast. HP Tuners and efiLive both support this.

I have a computer from a 6.0 / NV4500 truck, and a second computer from a 5.3 flex / 4l60e suburban. I plan to segment swap the trans from the truck to the suburban computer. I also plan to keep the E85 capability if I can. My plan is to buy efiLive so I can play with my computer tune and swap the computer vin for my jeep’s VIN. HP Tuner will not allow a VIN swap unless the new VIN matches what the engine could have been in from the factory (sort of).

This is what the composition sensor looks like:

11476EDF-805E-4C44-BF93-47F01E627471.jpeg

2A6B34C5-0EBC-43C2-A54C-590914810534.jpeg

I bought this one several years ago when I was planning a 258/4.0 stroker running a mega squirt computer. I abandoned that plan and my donor vehicle had one, so I currently have 2. If you want this one shoot me a PM with your address and I’ll ship it to you.

AZRic

CJ-8 Member
City
Glendale
State
AZ
thanks but i think im going with the tune that gets rid of the flex fuel.

Shaggy

City
Tempe
State
AZ
Well ive lurked here long enough... Learned and watched numerous rebuilds and time to get moving on mine.

I had a 81 Scrambler 25 years ago and put a chevy 350 and auto trans in it and loved it. Then the kids came and the jeep went. Now the kids are gone and i found another 81 that Started out as a old Jeep Tour Company Scrambler that has seen its better days. Total and complete rebuild is definitely needed.

Plan for this build is a street Queen as i have another off road toy. Going with a 5.3 and 4l60e auto trans, NP241C transfer case. Found some wide track axles and put 4.10 gears in them. Only running 33 inch tires... Also did the one piece rear axle. It came with a half cab in decent shape plus i have a new soft top ready to go.

Bought a brand new tub from Overland Willy. Picked up a an old frame from a forum member.

The day i brought it home.View attachment 62226

So was that Jeep a tour Jeep near Tombstone or Tucson? I see the 520 number is a AZ number for sure.

Bioyak

Basic User
City
Burnet
State
Tx
Why would anyone want to run the E85 fuel? The only advantage I see is if there is nothing else available. My Chevy 2500 HD has the capability so I tried it. I had considerably less power and went from averaging 12 mpg to 9 mpg. Harldly worth the $0.15 per gallon savings?

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Right now E85 is $1.40 and regular is $1.90 (in Houston). Bit more than $0.15 per gallon in savings.

If tuned properly, E85 will have more power, but you need to advance the timing to really take advantage of it.

Mileage will be worse, no getting around that.

You also need to be careful where you get it, E85 does not have the shelf life of dino gas.

AZRic

CJ-8 Member
City
Glendale
State
AZ
Shaggy...Yes it was from Tombstone. It was in such bad shape im not sure how it drove around.

AZRic

CJ-8 Member
City
Glendale
State
AZ
Well im finally back at this build. Finished up my 68 mustang and im headed full steam on getting this finished.
Anyone who has used the Willys Overland repli tub had this issue with the back corners? Wondering the best way to fix this.
Everything else seems to be just ok with this tub...

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 22

AZRic

CJ-8 Member
City
Glendale
State
AZ
Anyone ever put electric retractable side entry steps (like the AMP ones) on their CJ?

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Anyone ever put electric retractable side entry steps (like the AMP ones) on their CJ?
I would like to get a set of AMP, but they don’t make one for a CJ.

If you decide to go that route, I would like to know how it works out. I figured a couple switches on the dash near the doors would be an easy way to extend / retract them when needed.

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
I've got power steps on my Gladiator (Rock Slide) and the wife's 4Xe (Aries). If I can help with any measurements let me know

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
Anyone use the Jeep Air A/C kit? Its the under dash kit.
I’ve installed that kit a couple of times. Great product with zero issues

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
Anyone use the Jeep Air A/C kit? Its the under dash kit.
I'm installing it now: cleaning up wiring and making the hoses, but haven't used it yet.
Nice unit, requires a bit of modification but looks to be well made.

Attachments

• 16981452117183144012792658289340.jpg
    16981452117183144012792658289340.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 17