82 UK Spec Laredo Scrambler Build No 2

City
Halifax
State
UK
Slight flaw in my plan to empty out the chassis legs as that last crossmember goes all the way across and sits in the chassis!.
Ended up using a vacuum cleaner and airline and get as much out as i could that way instead, at least all the crud was at one end after being up in the air to make my life easier.

20200606_082510_resized.jpg

Last edited:
City
Halifax
State
UK
Thought i would build the axles back up but hit snag 1 on the AMC 20 which i guess everyone gets in that the spacers in my one piece axle kit are way too deep and need grinding down.

20200606_132625_resized.jpg

City
Halifax
State
UK
Not my shop unfortunately it belongs to the fabricators around the corner who have far better welding skills than i will ever have and handily an overhead crane with enough height to stand a chassis upright.

City
Halifax
State
UK
Mystery piece from a few posts up (110) seems to fit here. i cant be the only Scrambler owner to have this piece of metal surely?.

20200612_075851_resized.jpg 20200612_075835_resized.jpg

Last edited:
City
Halifax
State
UK
Waiting on some parts now i need UJS for the front axle which should be here Monday and the engineers next door to skim a good millimeter off the AMC 20 spacers then i can get some more axle work done..
After that i need Summit Racing to send me my Polybushes and U bolts which have been on order for a good 5 to 6 weeks now but seeing as the world has gone mad at the moment i had better allow them some slack and wait on a bit longer.

One thing that did amuse me is the brackets for the rear bumper, not sure if all these enlarged and slotted holes and twists are factory but i would like to think they are!.

20200612_080052_resized.jpg

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
Mystery piece from a few posts up (110) seems to fit here. i cant be the only Scrambler owner to have this piece of metal surely?.

View attachment 84338
Supposedly they only came with the 20 gallon poly tank, and only on CJ-8's.
I don't remember where I read it, but it's said it is to protect the plastic tank from damage from the sharp edge of the cross member.

City
Halifax
State
UK
Supposedly they only came with the 20 gallon poly tank, and only on CJ-8's.
I don't remember where I read it, but it's said it is to protect the plastic tank from damage from the sharp edge of the cross member.
Would make sense as it has the non sharp return bend on it but weird all the same as i have the 15 gallon tank, maybe the 20 gallon got swapped out at some point or just never fitted at factory but the metal shield did..

City
Halifax
State
UK
Top marks to FLCJ8 item number 7 from the parts manual and appears to be both Scrambler and 20 gallon tank specific (as you avtually pointed out much earlier in my posts FLCJ8 sorry for not listening!)

20galtank.png

Last edited:
City
Halifax
State
UK
This Jeep has 2 extremes of corrosion i found the front drive shaft still has writing on it presumably factory (and some primer buts thats me!).
One of the free wheeling hubs is a bit powdery to say the least, the screw snapped when i tried to turn the selector and shot all the bits everywhere surprising how much tension that little screw holds!, the other will clean up a bit more easily and was still free to turn.

20200618_193228_resized.jpg 20200618_204913_resized.jpg

City
Halifax
State
UK
Front axle is back together, brake dust shields i havent bothered with. Usually they are a big rusty mess that just falls off so i dont usualy fit them but they had somehow survived on this one.
Just need to clean up or replace the free wheeling hubs and its done sure i have some somewhere in my stash.

20200620_121334_resized.jpg