82 UK Spec Laredo Scrambler Build No 2

City
Halifax
State
UK
Hooray all the U bolts have finally arrived so i got the springs steam cleaned and gave them a quick coat of paint i would like to get this sat back on its axles tomorrow if possible!.
Some of the rebound clips have gone AWOL, might need to fabricate something up.to keep the leaves together.

20200711_205519_resized.jpg

W.R.Buchanan

Legacy Registered User
City
Ojai
State
CA
I have to say that you are making really good progress for someone with no time to work. I am familiar with long winded projects as mine has 15 years in it total, and is finally nearing completion.

I have to ask, Did that Jeep sit in a Marina Parking Lot next to the Ocean for many years? It appeared to have more rust on it than any I have ever seen, and it looked like some of the cars at our local Marina here in SoCal. Owned by people they call "the Boat People," who take good care of their boats, but let their cars rot, since they plan to abandon them went they finally leave for their upcoming round the world cruise..

You dealt with all of it well and I assume the paint you used is some kind of Rust Cancelling (Ospho) Industrial Grade Paint?

Most people don't realize that having a place to work that doesn't require you to shuffle your project around every few days is one of the most important factors in any complete rebuild. you have to be able to spread it all out so you can work on it, and you need to be able to leave things laying around until you need them.

Anyway good luck and looking forward to your completed Right Hand Drive Scrambler. Incidentally I believe your hardtop was made by Acme. The doors on my Jeep were made to fit that hard top.

Randy

City
Halifax
State
UK
Hi Randy sorry for late reply been working away for near enough 3 weeks so haven't had time to get on the forum for a while.
To answer your questions I live in the UK not the US but you are correct the Jeep was sat at the top of Norfolk near the North sea which would make it very much a salt air environment.
Chassis Paint is Corroless and they use it on oil rigs and similar environments so should be good stuff and certainly better than factory coatings.
As for the hardtop i was led to believe it was made here in the UK but i really have no idea CJ8s are very rare indeed in the UK i may own half the countries Scramblers for all i know!.

Thanks for the kind words i am looking forward to a few days off and maybe getting something done on the 8 if the family allow me to, will post up if i do, i haven't seen any of the Jeeps for a while looking forward to getting out in one.

City
Halifax
State
UK
Well first time in ages i managed to get to the Jeep and only managed to sit the alternator back in place, stick one exhaust manifold back on and bolt the prop shafts back on.
Other manifold can go on and then i need to do something with the exhaust, just not sure what at the moment.

IMG-20200820-WA0005.jpg

City
Halifax
State
UK
Playing around with the original oil/transmission cooler to see if i can fit it in the front or if i need to move it or use separate coolers.
Trouble is the oil filter is screwed in to this as well.
It will go there with some bracketry and means i could reuse most of the hoses and oil filter access would be easy but i am not sure.
Is this the same setup on the V8s? if so i am interested to know what everyone else did with these did you install separate oil coolers or squeeze this in somewhere?.

20200822_133616_resized.jpg

City
Halifax
State
UK
Hmmm having done my research it looks like a RHD Chevy Blazer is a different setup to the LHD versions and they do not have this lump of aluminium that doubles up as an oil/transmission cooler and also oil filter holder.
I have removed the water pump and fan and ordered up a new aluminium radiator so i can get everything sat in place and see what will work and where, i suspect the engine driven fan will need to go and be replaced by electric ones but we will see!.
So its back to waiting on parts!

20200823_153123_resized.jpg

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
OKC
State
OK
My S10 had a remote oil filter mount. They are notorious for leaking. I was able to remove the remote mount and screw in the oil filter stud/threads without any other modifications. I am running an engine driven fan with an aftermarket trans cooler. The shroud was a bit of work, but I'm pretty happy with it overall.

City
Halifax
State
UK
My S10 had a remote oil filter mount. They are notorious for leaking. I was able to remove the remote mount and screw in the oil filter stud/threads without any other modifications. I am running an engine driven fan with an aftermarket trans cooler. The shroud was a bit of work, but I'm pretty happy with it overall.
The one i have looks like it doubles up as the oil cooler as well its not just a remote mount, will get better photos so you can see what i am talking about.

After looking at radiators online it looks like on LHD the oil cooler is in the radiator on on side and the transmission cooler is on the other side of the radiator.
Is your aftermarket transcooler just a radiator type or has it some forced cooling?.

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
OKC
State
OK
The one i have looks like it doubles up as the oil cooler as well its not just a remote mount, will get better photos so you can see what i am talking about.

After looking at radiators online it looks like on LHD the oil cooler is in the radiator on on side and the transmission cooler is on the other side of the radiator.
Is your aftermarket transcooler just a radiator type or has it some forced cooling?.
Its an external B&M mounted with those zip tie things that go through the radiator. I don't have an engine oil cooler. All in all the stock radiator has been sufficient. I don't know what "middle of the green" means on the stock temp gauge but it generally stays between 1/3 and 1/2 of of the gauge. When it gets 95 degrees or hotter it will show 1/2 driving down the interstate at 65 or when stopped at long lights. My 4.3 has a wire that increases idle speed when the AC is on. I will eventually add a switch as slightly increasing the idle speed greatly improves cooling.

I also do have the factory in radiator trans cooler, but chose not to use it. I have a friend with a trans shop that recommends external coolers as the temps are generally kept lower by keeping the trans fluid out of the radiator. That sounds good, but my duramax has an external AND internal trans cooler in line together. I don't necessarily know whats the "right" choice.

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
OKC
State
OK
That is quite a contraption. Trans fluid, engine oil and coolant go through it. I haven't ever seen something like that in any of the vehicles I've owned.

City
Halifax
State
UK
So if i buy something like one of these then i can ditch the oil cooler lines and remote filter that i shouldn't need as i live in a mild climate and will not be towing with it?

oilflilter adaptor.png