• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Are these seats original?

jc_chandler

City
Denver
State
CO
I ask because they don't have the narrow horizontal ribbing I would expect on an original seat. They also have a lever on one side that allows the back to fully tilt forward. I don't want to spend time and money trying to restore them if they aren't original.

00n0n_6SjPPAgokPS_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

jc_chandler

City
Denver
State
CO
It seems sourcing and reupholstering a set of original seats is going to be difficult and expensive. I'm going to try, but anyone have opinions on aftermarket options?

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Opinions ? Plenty. Also seems like there is a thread somewhere on what used seats fit directly from certain vehicles to CJs and some with a little modification.

jc_chandler

City
Denver
State
CO
I found a couple of threads on here and elsewhere that provided some good insight. I'd prefer OEM but minus that at least aftermarket that look close to original, so I'll probably take a closer look at the usual suspects (Bestop, Smittybilt, Rugged Ridge).

Scramblin Man

Beyond help
Lifetime Member
City
Woodway
State
Tx
You can find some OEM seats with good frame and foam if you search a little. Then purchase some A/M covers for OEM seats. Probably the easiest method than finding originals with good covers. There are some decent replacement covers on Ebay - not exact OEM copies but 99% of the people would never know the difference.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Not positive, but those are probably YJ seats. If so, get YJ upholstery kit, fix the foam, and they will be a respectable replacement with adjustable back rests.