• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Baltimore Ed’s ‘02 Scrambler’ed Tj build

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Running into a wall on the hard tonneau cover.

Have you checked Diabolical? They're doing hard top storage setups for Jeeps. No idea how one would work with a half cab setup, but they're lesser-known, so I thought you might not have found them.

Baltimore Ed

Basic User
City
Aurora
State
NC
Picked up some parts today, a nice Cj draw bar, a Cj s/s vent cover that cleaned up nice with Mothers polish, some tailgate hinges and a set of chrome Laredo style rims complete with very dead tires. The jeep ‘recycle yard’ owner had to remove them from the jeep they were on so I might go back tomorrow and get them. The jeep they were on only looked neglected and abandoned not wrecked so I’m hoping they are ok.

Baltimore Ed

Basic User
City
Aurora
State
NC
Got my rims yesterday so today I’ll drag out the power washer and clean the worst off them before carrying them to my local tire guy so he can remove the tires without scratching the rims up. I’ll pull the ww’s too. Ww’s are perfect .45 bullet alloy. Then I can clean them right. My ss vent cover cleaned up perfectly with Mothers. Turns out that a Cj drawbar will not bolt on a Tj aftermarket bumper with bumperettes, the Tj inside bumperette holes about an inch and a half too far apart. Need to flatten the ends of the bar and drill 2 more holes. Think my rims are Ion brand. 3B943DBB-1B98-40C2-B210-73122BF4F05E.jpeg

Baltimore Ed

Basic User
City
Aurora
State
NC
Just found this ‘Scrambler’ on line. Someone else’s Scrambler wanna be. Nice truck but all that crap on the hood is ridiculous.
0A7D9755-8A98-4A08-9753-9748DDEB9530.png8B68ED86-058B-4598-A789-B2242B4ADC5D.png

Baltimore Ed

Basic User
City
Aurora
State
NC
I think that I missed the mark on my Laredo rims, holes should be triangular. Oh well. They still look better than my awful black rims. I did get my holes drilled in the drawbar and painted. Tomorrow I’ll try to install before it gets too darn hot. And get the rims cleaned. Way too hot in my shop. Pulled my oem fog light covers to clean them tonight [in the house].

Last edited:

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
I had my Hi-Lift Jack on the hood like that on my CJ 5, going to put it there on the CJ 6 it worked well on the CJ 5.

Baltimore Ed

Basic User
City
Aurora
State
NC
Cooled off today finally. Put my fog lights back on, found another horn in my barn so now Ripley sounds really like a couple of ‘66-‘69 Furys. Got the draw bar installed. Plan to use it with my bike rack and aluminum hitch carrier not for towing. Got the sticky passenger door fixed too where it was bumping the half top. Start cleaning up my alloy rims tomorrow and get back on my tonneau cover.

Baltimore Ed

Basic User
City
Aurora
State
NC
This is the hinge and aluminum frame for my tonneau. Tomorrow I’ll order the diamond plate. Yesterday Ripley and I went to the Dare County Shooting Complex for my cas club’s monthly match. Wasn’t sure how my knee would do but it was fine, 27 days out from my left knee replacement surgery. Came in third out of 11. Ripley ran like a top 65-70 mph. Though she doesn’t get the mileage that my Edge gets.
CFECE615-5E07-43F5-9B92-71450445695F.jpeg26B664C6-1B5E-437A-B595-08CC91A79AC8.jpegE26432F9-327E-47B8-ABC1-67D2FFADAAA5.jpeg

Last edited:

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
Looks great. Are you going to have a roll bar/cage of some sort?

Baltimore Ed

Basic User
City
Aurora
State
NC
The roll bar is still intact inside of the half cab. It was cut at the tee where the horizontal pipe extended to the rear. GR8TOPS offers a mod to extend the roll bar through the rear of the cab but then you can’t do a full hard tonneau cover. I wanted to make a true lockable ‘trunk’. I’ll build a piece of steel that will be bolted/welded to the tire mount so that when the tailgate is closed the steel will overlap the aluminum cover to prevent it from opening. I’ll use the tailgate lock to lock it.

Last edited:

Baltimore Ed

Basic User
City
Aurora
State
NC
Went to town and got a belt and blades for my ztr mower and knocked out the yard. On the way home I picked up my 4x8 sheet of DP. Finished the frame, I’ll have to do some research to see where the gas pistons need to be. I’ve got a couple in my barn but don’t know if they’ll work for this.

Update- wrestling with my sliding tonneau frame. I think that the springs will work to move it 3/8 in forward to seal it against the cab when the tailgate is closed. But I’ve got to build a ridged pattern before I cut or drill on my DP.

Last edited:

Baltimore Ed

Basic User
City
Aurora
State
NC
Replaced the plastic Tj license plate holder with a s/s Cj style plate holder. I’ll have the 4 holes in the body filled and smoothed when I get the whole truck painted this fall. I also put 1.25 rubber blocks under the driver side seat to give me a little more leg room. I made them from one of the rubber bumpers that I removed from the front bumper. Cool air finally!! Started back on my tonneau cover. Just about have my second attempt at a pattern put together. Tomorrow I’ll try to bolt it to the sliding part of the frame. I’ll use my drill press tool that I picked up. Works pretty good to keep your holes perpendicular to the work.

Attachments

• 813923CA-0CF1-4EBE-92AA-BEC91CD1A2B2.jpeg
    813923CA-0CF1-4EBE-92AA-BEC91CD1A2B2.jpeg
    53.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Baltimore Ed

Basic User
City
Aurora
State
NC
The pattern is done I think, next thing will be to cut it out of my DP, fit it to the cab, gas struts? Screw it to the frame and paint it. Would love to get some kind of edge welded on it to make it more waterproof and 3 dimensional.
Planning to cut my shelf out of the DP first to see what works best [skill saw or jig saw] and get a feel for how it cuts.
D2EF69CF-9B90-4F8A-9963-80070E9E543E.jpeg4F9A6CAC-3361-4A90-AA16-5E85EA018215.jpegD0B7DDEA-BFA3-48D9-9D4D-5C885A628C24.jpeg

Last edited:

Baltimore Ed

Basic User
City
Aurora
State
NC
Started cutting on my 4x8 DP. For practice I cut out a piece for the overhead shelf. Most expensive single piece of raw material that I’ve ever bought. I’ll cut the tonneau out today.C95DB006-33BD-47D3-9155-821EA382F8EA.jpegA7CA3965-E912-49A4-A3AA-129AEC375399.jpeg

Baltimore Ed

Basic User
City
Aurora
State
NC
Carried Ripley to a body shop to get her cleaned and undercoated today. They found a few problems, tailpipe hanger broken, rubbers and bolts between the frame and body could be replaced [which my mechanic knew and has ordered replacements], no leaks but a crusty oil pan might need replacing, some frame issues where ac condensation has dripped on it. I’ll pick it up Wednesday. I want to get my O2 sensors replaced too. Maybe I’ll carry it to my jeep mechanic next week and let him replace a few items. About gotten my shelf knocked out. Pictures soon.

Baltimore Ed

Basic User
City
Aurora
State
NC
Got Ripley from the body shop. Picked up my O2 sensors, expensive little critters. I almost have my shelf build done. Painted my bezel but don’t like it, too much red so today I’ll mask it and paint over some of the red. I replaced my not working lighter with a phone charging port, an easy upgrade and it shows my amps on a display.