
https://www.bestop.com/about-us/ their history page suggests otherwise (at least as far as the supertop designation)I purchased my Super Top for my ‘73 CJ-5 in a nutmeg in 1979. Weird 2 piece doors. It’s still on MrBeep.


I'd buy that as more likely - same with the subject top. Is there anywhere on the top that specifically states "supertop?" Because just looking at the blue one, it screams "late 70s/early 80s."Hmmm, Possibly not "Named Super Top? it has the 2 piece doors and sidde and rear windows zip out rather than roll up and it has the Lip Seal / non snap mounting strips along the body lip. Doors are not proportioned correctly like later models. Best Top had a booth set up at Gravelrama and this was their CJ-5 Display Top.
View attachment 68117


It's weird to me that they hardly ever show up on the resale market? Either they didn't sell many or they didn't last very long after installation. I do a search for "Jeep Nutmeg" on eBay about once a week and rarely come across anything from the 90s. The label on this one suggests late 80s/early 90s, but I don't see them very often.I bought a new, Bestop Supertop, nutmeg, two piece doors, for my CJ7 around 95 - 98, from either Quadratec/4WDH.
----I'd buy that as more likely - same with the subject top. Is there anywhere on the top that specifically states "supertop?" Because just looking at the blue one, it screams "late 70s/early 80s."
For whatever reason, the history of Jeep accessories fascinates me. Feel free to fill in my blanks and correct my errors, but from the past decade or so of following the CJ market:
Whitco was the de facto producer of standard factory CJ soft accessories in the late CJ era, extending back how far, I don't know. There were other aftermarket companies in the game like Kayline, which made an appearance in the mid-80s, and of course Bestop which didn't completely take over the Jeep world until the late 80s.
At some point in the CJ era, Whitco acquired or developed the "Rough Rider" line - a name I've seen on a number of Whitco accessories. I believe around the AMC/Chrysler transition, both Whitco and the Rough Rider line dissolved, but "Rough Rider" was picked up by Bestop - because I've also seen that name on Bestop accessories.
In the late 80s or so, Kayline was reincarnated as STC (Specialty Top Co), who began producing aftermarket tops very similar to the Kayline products apart from some of the hardware. STC wound up leaving the CJ world in the 90s some time, but BD-Co eventually bought up some of their patterns in the late 2000s.
What's really neat is that all of these companies are/were based out of the Denver/Colorado Springs area. I also find it interesting that I can't say that I've seen many Bestop tops in nutmeg or garnet available in the resale market, so that suggests they weren't heavily involved in that era of CJs. Sure, they made seat and tire covers, etc., but I hardly ever see a top from them in nutmeg. They must've been pretty rare, like these guys I hadn't come across until last week. I had seen them in grey before, but nutmeg was a new one for me.
![]()
You know who'd have all this information on hand? @jerseyjeeps. Where is that guy these days![]()

I'd have contacted you directly, but I figure if people here wanted to sell off ebay, they'd have posted here first.----
Glad the door pockets are going to work for you!
My wife gets mad when I use the kitchen counter to photo parts!
That sounds like a challenge!I'd have contacted you directly, but I figure if people here wanted to sell off ebay, they'd have posted here first.
I'm drowning in nutmeg here. I couldn't honestly think of another nutmeg accessory I could add. If you came up with one, it'd blow my mind.

You know who'd have all this information on hand? @jerseyjeeps. Where is that guy these days![]()
I've changed phones enough times I seem to have lost his number evenVery good question. I have not heard from Eric in a long time. I think his last post on here was in 2017. Not sure he frequents this forum a lot anymore, but sure do miss his insight and jeep knowledge. Not mention he has an awesome collection of pretty rare Jeeps.
Maybe he got married or something?