• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Chicago Tow Truck

twmattox

Legacy Registered User
City
Arcadia
State
IN
This past weekend my friend drove us to a race in Chicagoland. His vehicle broke down in Chicago Heights. A tow truck driver stopped to help (and had us very concerned about our safety). Very very long story short, he towed my friends vehicle and gave us a ride to Midway Airport to rent a vehicle. Sounds like a nice guy...right???

Today, as my friend is arranging to have the dealer get the car for repairs, he finds out that the tow truck company will not release the vehicle till a $3200 fee is paid for the tow, storage, etc (in cash). The car was towed less than 20-miles!!! Absolutely ridiculous!

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
That's messed up, any charge table on the reciept, call a local TV station. The channels in Philadelphia have segments to help people who are being screwed.

breckwrecking

Narrow Tracker
City
Kittery
State
ME
No AAA i take it? Seems odd that they will only take cash. I'd probably see if they can print out an itemized receipt of services and possibly contact the police.

revho

$9.00 vanilla malt
Lifetime Member
City
beaverdam
State
MI
Sounds like the Obama goons are involved...

Chicago style strong arming at it's best...

twmattox

Legacy Registered User
City
Arcadia
State
IN
We had another tow truck there...provided by AAA. However, that driver was only willing/able to take one other person in his cab. That left 3 of us standing on the side of the road in an extremely bad neighborhood. Taxi's refused to come pick us up, according to both tow truck drivers, police don't even go there...

Apparently, the driver who got us out of there has been sued a number of times for price gouging. Would make a claim against someone's insurance for that outlandish amount...then hold the vehicle hostage. Not sure where all of this is heading...

My point to my friend was that he towed this with the rear two wheels on the ground... His vehicle is an all wheel drive with a viscous coupler...

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
My point to my friend was that he towed this with the rear two wheels on the ground... His vehicle is an all wheel drive with a viscous coupler...

Not good at all. That needed a flat bed. We had that happen in 1985 to my parents' Audi. The tow guy had never seen one before. Yes, my parents should have known better as well, but end result was transmission and axles flown in from Germany to fix it.

I have had to turn tow trucks away that came to "save" me when I had my Audi.

That sucks all around for your friend. Hope it gets resolved and no damage was done. Hopefully the twenty miles did not heat things up too much.

Dain

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
If your budddy didnt sign any paperwork with the tow truck driver, call the cops, report the vehicle as stolen, and teach that dude a lesson:evil:

Kaiser8

Designer
City
Aurora
State
IL
Welcome to Crook County. I hope you guys didn't leave anything in the car because right after the tow the car was stripped clean on the inside. Unfortunately, calling the CPD isn't going to get you very far. :banghead: