• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Do’s and Don’ts for removing top for first time

Rick hays

City
Washington
State
Mo
Just inherited an 81 from my brother has been kept in shed for years top had never been off any suggestions . I’m thinking I should have a new weather strip ready when I take it off

Attachments

• 32084FDB-AD93-45D7-99EE-69CC0EC7A70F.jpeg
    32084FDB-AD93-45D7-99EE-69CC0EC7A70F.jpeg
    184.6 KB · Views: 24

GreatCJ8

Charter Member
Gold Member
City
Lynchburg
State
VA
Just go slow. 1st time I took mine off I discovered it was held on with strong 2 sided weatherstripping that stuck to the top & to the bulkhead.
You don't want to force it & have the 39 year old top to crack or break where you try to pry it off.
Use a solvent like decal remover or wd40. Test whichever will melt weatherstripping, that is stuck to something on your workbench, 1st.
Once you find one that turns the sticky part into goo that doesn't stick as much, try it along the top of the bulkhead with one of those fine straws attached to wd40 or whatever.
Hope this helps

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Does your top have the little plastic things pictured here (right at the top front corner of the door where it meets the top/windshield frame)?

If so, be VERY careful with that as they always disintegrate when the top is removed the first time.

IMG_1947[1].JPG

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
Wow, I've never seen one of those things before... I guess I've never seen a CJ top that hasn't been removed!

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Shouldn't be too hard to copy those. I'm sure someone could 3D copy those out of plastic. I could cast them in bronze if I had one to reference and make a pattern from. Strange that they all self destruct when the top comes off. Bronze should last.
Anyone know why bronze wouldn't work as well as plastic? Is the top the only thing holding them in place?
Does your top have the little plastic things pictured here (right at the top front corner of the door where it meets the top/windshield frame)?

If so, be VERY careful with that as they always disintegrate when the top is removed the first time.

View attachment 79673
Do these really make a difference in wind noise?

Scramblin Man

Beyond help
Lifetime Member
City
Woodway
State
Tx
I always wondered if they were on there for the dealership to tell if the top was removed - such as no warranty work on leaks if you remove top. Thoughts ??

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
All I know is I don’t have them and now I want them.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Jersey has one that was removed but broke, but I've never seen one that wasn't on a never-removed top.

I have an ACME full top for the Scrambler so I've always thought I'd take this 1/2 cab off, but the more I think about it I honestly hate to remove the top for the first time given that it's been on there since it left the factory.

I do agree it would be easy to 3D print if anyone had one removed that wasn't broken.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Do these really make a difference in wind noise?

I wouldn't think so. The top on this one is very quiet but I think that's probably more due to the top never having been off and the fact that it's been kept either in a garage or carport since new (and only has a hair over 5K on it).

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
They need to be made from very thin plastic. I recently pulled a set off a CJ7 in two pieces that could be used. CJ8 are different than CJ7. I’ll post up some pics.