• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

durabak or herculiner

85cj8

Basic User
City
ocala
State
fl
any opinnions on either durabak or herculiner its time to coat the inside of my body and 500 bucks at the local paint shop is to steep .the durabak seems to have the closest color match ,red,since mine is red.what did you all do about floor plugs and bolt holes for seats and belts etc, i guess just plug the holes with tape but does that leave any kind of ridge or blotch when you remove the tape ,any help?

sevensandeights

sevensandeights
City
Mckean
State
PA
linings

I used Herculiner and am very happy with it considering the price. I sprayed mine and highly recommend this method of application. Most people believe that Durabak and Herculiner are the same product. I have no experience with Duraback and therefore no opinion. Go the the shortwheelbase.com forum and search for "durabak" - a week ago some guy posted a little write up and pictures. His appears to have turned out great (he sprayed his on as well).

P.S. You can get Herculiner in red also, it's just harder to find and more expensive.

jeepfleet

Jeep Freak!
City
Quincy
State
MA
Wow, This B.B. sure is fancy! I have used Durebeck coatings on a few Jeeps and I think the stuff is Great!
I just use the standing knapp roller that comes with the kit and a 2" brush they come out great. pull all the plugs, put all the bolts back in with tape around them to protect the threads, and of course tape off all the edges, Do Not get it on anything you don't want it on, if you do a little acitone on a rag will remove it before it sets up. I have pictures I can post when I have time to figure out how. 1 gallon will do a nice job on a CJ-8 tub, Hope this Helps.

jones24442

Deep Sea J-8
City
Kingston
State
WA
Did mine with herculiner 2 years ago. Prep is the key. Really really REALLY clean it well. Completely coated the inside of my tub, and has held up well.

Mike Oxlodge

Mike Oxlodge
City
Sullivan County
State
NY
Durabak opinion

Hey Scramblers,
I just sandblasted the inside of my scrambler, applied 2 coats of POR-15 and Durabak White.
The results were good but the black from the por-15 still peeks through in some spots even with two coats, which is all I could manage out of the one gallon that I bought. If I had it to do again I would have topcoated the POR-15 with a white paint before using the Durabak.
Good luck.

Mike Oxlodge

JGailis

Basic User
Has anyone had any bad experiences with Durabak, or Herculiner? I can;t decide between the two, and I just found an ad in the newspaper where you can get the gallon kit of Herculiner for $79 + a $20 dollar rebate from the company. I assume that both products are similar, but I wanted to know if anyone has had any durability problems, fading, etc. from either. I only want to put this stuff on once, and I would like to find the best product and not buy one simply because the price is good.

Thanks,
Jon

cjpartsguy

scrambler buyer
City
columbia
State
sc
they are the same product with a different label, call the mfg and they will tell you. that is how i found out.
it holds up well for what it costs.
it will not hold up as well as a professionally applied product nor will it build up as much thickness.
I have done several jeeps and sprayed them all. i did a write up on it over 3 years ago.

Dwain

Basic User
City
Baytown
State
TX
Bed Liner

Hey Guys,
First, Mike Oxlodge, why did you put POR 15 on your bed before herculiner? Won't it apply to clean metal? Second, CJParts Guy, where was your write-up? Good Luck - Dwain

roddiaz1

Pieces of Eight
City
Baden
State
PA
Some advise on Herculiner and POR-15

A few comments:

Herculiner: I rolled mine on and it cameout looking great. I didn't realize you could spray it due to the course material (rubber?) in the product. The only problem I had was that my brake master cylinder leaked into the cab, where I had Herculined, and the brake fluid just disolved the Herculiner into a paste.

POR-15: If you're going to topcoat por-15, a primer has to be applied before it dries completely or alternatively you can use thier primer "Tie-Coat" once the Por-15 has dried.

Hope this helps,

Rod

mulescj8

INSANE SCRAMBLER HACK
Lifetime Member
City
Middle of No Where and Too Far From Any Where
State
Tn
i did mine with heciliner and it came out ok-i live where the humidity is real high and it took 3 to 4 days for it to "cure" and set up enough to be able to take putting the seats back in-but it turned out nice-JC:p