• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Electric Fan Question-

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I have decided to go with an electric fan(s). I have a BeCool dual pass radiator, and the core size is 22” wide by 19” tall. I am looking for some insight on fan selection. I have used a Taurus fan before and it fit the stock CJ radiator well, but this isn’t a stock CJ radiator. Plus, that Taurus fan was loud!
I have heard that the Lincoln Mark VIII fan is the big dog now, but how about the Flex-a-Lite Black Magic Extreme? It looks like it should fit the core well at 21.5”x16”. Or would a couple of 10” Spal fans in a custom shroud be better? The 16” Black Magic has 201sq/in area while 2 10” have only 156 sq/in. What’s your experience?

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
I have a Black Magic Extreme on the shelf for my build. It moves quite a bit of air and I like the shroud on it, but it is thick due to that shroud and I'm concerned with packaging overall. Just something to be conscience of, if that helps any...

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I’ve got about 4 1/2” from radiator to water pump snout. I’ve been researching and I’m really impressed with the Mark VIII fan specs, plus the shroud fits my core perfectly. I may just be the Jeep guinea pig for that one.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I had the contour/taurus fans on my old set up. In fact it is now on my shelf because I am a hoarder. I agree that it was kind of loud. Always knew when it was on. Even driving down the highway.

As for the Lincoln fan, if it fits, go for it. Will it have two speeds? Or high all of the time?

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Are the Lincoln fans available new aftermarket? Finding them in junkyards is getting harder and people know what they are worth, or at least think they are worth.

Their specs are very impressive though.

Wonder what fans Ford is using on the turbo v6 trucks. They must move lots of air, they sound like a jet engine at takeoff.

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
Are the Lincoln fans available new aftermarket? Finding them in junkyards is getting harder and people know what they are worth, or at least think they are worth.

Their specs are very impressive though.

Wonder what fans Ford is using on the turbo v6 trucks. They must move lots of air, they sound like a jet engine at takeoff.
I saw a thread that said the 2010 F150 fan was tested at 6000 cfm.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
The Lincoln fan is available new from Dorman, or several Chinese options on Amazon. I ordered the Dorman unit, hope it works out. Should be here Friday.

The F150 fan is a 6000 cfm dual fan setup. Way to big for our Jeeps.

I set my harness up to let the engine computer control it, but I might go with a stand-alone controller. I have used the Dakota Digital before and it worked well. I also used a PWM controller in the low speed to be able to dial it back at drive through windows. The fans on that particular engine were noisy!

Last edited:

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I was planning to run a Delta Current Control, constant temp version so the fans only run the speed needed for the cooling situation.

Seems his website is down right now, hope he is not gone.

dccontrol.com

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I was planning to run a Delta Current Control, constant temp version so the fans only run the speed needed for the cooling situation.

Seems his website is down right now, hope he is not gone.

dccontrol.com
I was just trying to access his site- no go. Hope it’s just a glitch. Although the auto cool guy one looks pretty great-

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Wonder if he is relying on the product he designed for derale to keep the market happy.

RockTractor

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
I've been looking at the 1995-00 Ford Contour V6 fans... 2 speed dual fan with a shroud that fits the CJ radiator.

I'm hoping the offset placement of the fans gives me more clearance at the water pump with my V8.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I've been looking at the 1995-00 Ford Contour V6 fans... 2 speed dual fan with a shroud that fits the CJ radiator.

I'm hoping the offset placement of the fans gives me more clearance at the water pump with my V8.

I have one of these repopped by dorman. I have not mounted it yet. It was the hotness till the Lincoln fan was discovered as even better.

The Lincoln fan is popular due to airflow, how quite, and variable speed.

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
This is my fan from a Ford 500 that I got for $30 at a pick yard. It is a dual fan and dual speed. I set it up for low speed on the large fan and high speed on the small. If I have cooling issues I will just change the wire on fan to get more CFM.

Attachments

• 20210408_064123.jpg
    20210408_064123.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 23