• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Electric fans for CJ Radiator....

tom82cj8

Scrambler Pro
City
Austin
State
TX
What electric fan setups will work on the stock CJ Grille/Radiator? I need something thin and powerful.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I've used a Taurus fan on my Jeepster...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
For a perfect fit: use the fan from a mid-nineties Ford Contour SVT with the higher performance engine option – either the 16 valve “Zetec” engine or the 24 valve 2.5l “Duratec” V-6. The dual fans pull 3400 CFM in total and also provide redundancy in the event of the failure of a one of the fans. The Contour fan is also more than an inch thinner than the Taurus fan at the motors, and it is a little less then 3 inches thick between the motors where it would meet the water pump pulley, so it fits perfectly no trimming of the shroud necessary.

contour-1.jpg

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
tom82cj8 said:
JScherb-

Like this?
Contour Fan

Are you using a thermostatically controlled switch with override?

Thanks,

Yes, that's the one.

To answer the override question: I'm using the DC Control controller. I constructed a little control panel for the fan, see photo. Switch has three positions - normal (letting the DC Control unit decide how fast to run the fan), Always On (runs at 50% or more depending on cooling needs) and Always Off (you might use this for a water crossing). Top LED glows from green to yellow to red as fan speed increases so you always know how fast the fan is running. Bottom LED glows red in Always Off mode.

I wrote about the fan install in this thread: https://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18579

attachment.php

tom82cj8

Scrambler Pro
City
Austin
State
TX
Great posts. Thanks for the link to your other thread. My only concern is clearance at my York compressor. It is located at the upper passenger side of the engine. When you have time would you mind giving me the measurement from the radiator fins to the most protruding part of the fan assembly toward the engine?

Thanks,
Tom

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
tom82cj8 said:
Great posts. Thanks for the link to your other thread. My only concern is clearance at my York compressor. It is located at the upper passenger side of the engine. When you have time would you mind giving me the measurement from the radiator fins to the most protruding part of the fan assembly toward the engine?

Thanks,
Tom

In the photo below, the tape measure is touching the radiator fins. It is 3 1/4" from the fins to the shroud. The fan motors stick out slightly further, but I wouldn't think they would be in a position to interfere with your compressor.

The drawing of the fan dimensions below is from DC Control's web site; they also sell this fan to go along with their controller. You can see the fan motors stick out 0.6" further than the shroud, and you can see their location. Also notice that at the upper left of the engine, the deepst part of the fan shroud is 3.13" below the top of the shroud, so there's lots of clearance up there.

The DC Control web site seems to be defunct right now so I attached the file instead of posting a link.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Jeff

attachment.php

attachment.php

tom82cj8

Scrambler Pro
City
Austin
State
TX
That is more than I need. Thanks for the help.

I wonder what is up with DC Controls. I sent them a message. We will see if I get a response.

-Tom

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
tom82cj8 said:
That is more than I need. Thanks for the help.

I wonder what is up with DC Controls. I sent them a message. We will see if I get a response.

-Tom

Shortly after I ordered my controller in July, he took the website offline (www.dccontrol.com). He said it was so he could catch up with orders. It took him several months to ship my controller. He was responsive in answering one or two questions I had when I received my controller.

About a month ago I emailed him to ask what the status of his business/site is and to date I have had no response. In other forums I see complaints about him and speculation that he's folded up shop.

I hope he's still in business, his product is (was?) the best on the market.

Jeff

tom82cj8

Scrambler Pro
City
Austin
State
TX
I am finding the same to be true of DCControls. I am looking at the Flex-a-lite controllers. I am also looking at their complete kit for the CJ. I can get one on Amazon for $231 shipped.... Flex-a-lite offers a variable speed module as an add-on. I use my Scrambler mostly off-road in the Texas sun. It gets pretty hot. Where did you get your Contour fan? Local junkyard pricing is more than the link I put to eBay....

-Tom

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
tom82cj8 said:
I am finding the same to be true of DCControls. I am looking at the Flex-a-lite controllers. I am also looking at their complete kit for the CJ. I can get one on Amazon for $231 shipped.... Flex-a-lite offers a variable speed module as an add-on. I use my Scrambler mostly off-road in the Texas sun. It gets pretty hot. Where did you get your Contour fan? Local junkyard pricing is more than the link I put to eBay....

-Tom

My local Pick-n-Pull junkyard charges $15 per fan, that's where I got mine (and a spare). Unfortunately that means they sell Contour fans for $30 because there have two fans in the shroud. :-(

Jeff

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
Flex-A-Lite would be my next choice if the DC Control is no longer available. I don't believe the F-A-L one has the soft-start feature that the DCC one does, that's a nice feature. I do believe the F-A-L unit could be wired exactly as the DCC one, including the fan control box I built, so if my DCC unit ever fails I'll be swapping in an F-A-L controller.

Last edited:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I'm using the Dakota Digital controller. It will power one or two fans, or a two speed (3 wire) fan. It also uses the stock (or aftermarket) temp sender, so no extra sender to worry about. I'm very pleased with it's operation.

RJCJ-8

SOA Member
Lifetime Member
City
Rome
State
GA
I picked one up on eBay for about 40 or 45, can't recall which.
Just waiting for this spring to put it in and modify my homemade controller to use the 2 speed function that is has if the fan comes with the resistor pack.

I got luck that the fans had all the factory wiring still attached and the resistor for the 2 speed function.

tom82cj8

Scrambler Pro
City
Austin
State
TX
I ordered the fan control from SPAL-USA. Here is a link for anyone interested.

Fan Control and Temp Sensor:
Fan Control

Harness for second fan:
Fan Harness

Everything I need for $140 shipped to my door.

I will post my results.....

tom82cj8

Scrambler Pro
City
Austin
State
TX
I picked up a Contour fan assembly on Friday($75). Got it all installed this weekend. I am amazed at how well it fits the CJ radiator. I had to cut a plastic tab off the top of the shroud, but other than that it was just a matter of popping it into place. It is a snug fit, but the plastic shroud flexes enough to get it in place. I put a couple of screws into the grille using the shroud's mounting tabs. One of the radiator bolts lines up on top of the shrouds support tabs. I drilled a hole in the tab and used the radiator bolt as an additional mounting point. There is not much clearance between the York compressor's clutch and the fan, it is equally tight in the opposite side near the idler pulley for the York setup. I have over 1/2" of clearance. I had to remove a metal plate from the passenger side fan motor, and grind a raised plastic tab from the rear of the other fan. I don't think I had much more than 1/2" with the factory fan, it would sometimes kiss the radiator when flexing out the rig. My radiator is mounted on the front side of the grille for another 1/4" of clearance. I will post some pics once I have the Spal-USA controller installed and everything is completed. I think this is a great mod, and I can tell that there is much more cooling power than I had with my 5-blade factory fan and shroud. I switched thermostats from 180 to 195. I had been running the 180 because I was concerned about overheating. Maybe I will pick up some power with the 195.

Later-

Scott Mine

Legacy Registered User
City
Arnaudville
State
LA
Contour Fans

I got my contour fans this weekend. What a surprise i only paid $16 for the dual fan set-up. Looks like i will be ordering the controller for them now.

Thanks for the tip since they seem to fit perfectly. :cheers: