bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Wow. Did you notice what was going on on the far side with that U-bolt set up around the tube?

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
Wow. Did you notice what was going on on the far side with that U-bolt set up around the tube?
Track bar bracket when re-using stock track bar versus ponying up for adjustable bar after lifting on JKs. I know Teraflex and EVO use that style. Bolts to lower control arm mount, bolts to factory track bar location, then also uses the ubolt that you see.

CJ7Pilot

LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
Anybody see what's wrong with the drivelune?
It looks too short to me, both the front half and the back half.

It looks like a step-side pickup, most of which have short wheelbases... why is it running a carrier bearing driveshaft, anyway?

Did someone cut the crossmember to install that carrier bearing?

Also the u-joint angle looks pretty straight, which may not be ideal... but I don't really see anything that screams "epic fail." :shrug:

Last edited:

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Is that a carriage bolt holding up the carrier bearing? Aren't they ungraded?

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Like usual I'm late to the party. Carrier bearing isn't pressed far enough on front fridge shaft. Causing front shaft slip joint to be jammer in the trans. I've seen carriage bolts grade 5 in the past, can't remember where.

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
There is a slip yoke into the rear of the transmission and there also is a slip yoke on the front section of the shaft. The driveshaft should either have a fixed yoke at the transmission or a correct length shaft built with no slip yoke on it.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
My gmc front driveshaft has the female slip joint at the trans side and male spines on rear of front shaft (to fit into front side of rear shaft). Rear driveshaft has female front end and u-joint at rear. Front shaft looks identical to yours except carrier bearing is up against the shield. Stock 91 gmc 2500.

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Ram3500 transfer case failure that also took out the transmission too- They apparently ran over a semi tire in the road. ;) It's kinda unusual for the front hubs to be locked in allowing the slip yoke to beat the crap out out of the frame. ;)

Attachments

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
This was in my buddies 1940 Chevy. Old school dual carbed 261 stove bolt straight 6, bored and stroked. He has a 3 on the tree and skinny maybe 225/75-15 street tires in the rear. The car still moved on its on power as the break was held together by the bearing. He shifts the car at 6,000 rpms and it broke between the 2-3 shift at a Beaver Springs Dragway. Only non repairable damage was the crank and bearing. 20190508_210554.jpg 20190508_210546.jpg 20180929_133415.jpg

Scott_P

Legacy Registered User
CJ-8.com Member
City
Benzonia
State
MI
That's a bummer, but 6000 rpm is a lot for an old straight 6! I broke an AMC 401 crank...similar deal, engine still ran and had good oil pressure, but sure made a lot of noise! Looks like a fun car.