• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Giving it a Jolt

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
How awesome. ? I was just contemplating a similar build with an XJ.
Please do a build thread!!!!

timo439

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Portsmouth
State
NH
Will try. This is going to be a winter project in a temporary garage so progress will be slow. I hope to have most of the parts minus the batteries ordered this week. I’ll post the list when I have it finalized.
Hoping to drop the exhaust tomorrow. Working around four kids under 13 and a host of house projects.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Any idea where the battery or batteries will be mounted ? Sounds like an interesting project

joshvt

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
charlotte
State
nc
Cool. Been wondering how long it would take for an electric scrambler build to show up. Interested to see how it goes.

timo439

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Portsmouth
State
NH
Any idea where the battery or batteries will be mounted ? Sounds like an interesting project

I have a few thoughts on this. Most important is accessibility and weight balance.

My preference would be between the frame rails between the axles. This keeps the weight centered and low. The exhaust will be gone so there is plenty of room on either side of the driveshaft. Alas therein lies the challenge with this location. Getting a strong frame to mount the box might be challenging. Once I get the exhaust out, I’ll start investigating.

The second and most likely option is to split the pack between the engine bay and where the gas tank was/is. Plenty of room, access, etc... but now you are hanging outside the axles.

Either way, they will be fairly invisible and not inside the cab. The Lithium Ion packs give you tons of flexibility.

timo439

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Portsmouth
State
NH
As a side note, I have a 19 gallon tank and skid plate if anyone is looking. I’ll also have any parts related to the combustion engine (including the engine with Mopar MPFI) in the future.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
How much do the batteries you plan on using weigh and how many to you plan on?

jpnmaine

City
East Wilton
State
ME
I would be interested in the combustion part and related components when you are ready to part with them. Like your shed setup. I might have to copy it when the time comes to blast my tub. Rather roll it into some thing like that to clean up an area on the tub that will be getting rust repaired. LP's, cassettes and blast media..or anything else for that matter don't fare well.

Last edited:

jc_chandler

City
Denver
State
CO
Nice! I'm actually planning on doing the same thing once my restoration process is near complete. Where have you been sourcing components? I've been talking to ElectricGT about their new battery setup and well as what they've been doing to convert FJ40s.

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLED 8
Lifetime Member
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
I'm intrigued by this as well. I was just thinking about the GM crate engine option that is expected to be out sometime next year. As others have said, please share a build thread if you can.

timo439

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Portsmouth
State
NH
Nice! I'm actually planning on doing the same thing once my restoration process is near complete. Where have you been sourcing components? I've been talking to ElectricGT about their new battery setup and well as what they've been doing to convert FJ40s.
I talked to quite a few shops and settled on working with EV West. Some of their stuff is slightly more expensive but I like their experience and support. At the moment the plan is to use Tesla Model S batteries but I’m not buying batteries until it’s just about wrapped and the market is changing rapidly.

timo439

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Portsmouth
State
NH
I would be interested in the combustion part and related components when you are ready to part with them. Like your shed setup. I might have to copy it when the time comes to blast my tub. Rather roll it into some thing like that to clean up an area on the tub that will be getting rust repaired. LP's, cassettes and blast media..or anything else for that matter don't fare well.

If I get this project done over the winter, you can have the shed..

timo439

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Portsmouth
State
NH
Slow but steady progress. Exhaust mostly out. Random hangers and the final curve to the manifold pending. Weird that this wont be need again. Definitely have a slowly leaking rear diff and transfer case. Will need to address both as part of this process.IMG_0866.jpegIMG_0867.jpeg

IMG_0866.jpegIMG_0867.jpeg

OGRES

Ramblin' Wreck
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Suwanee
State
GA
Keep the pictures and the write-ups coming.

This is definitely an interesting build.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
If you’re going to post progress on the build here, I should move this to the build forum...