• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Giving it a Jolt

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Not sure why the first picture is askew by 90 degrees)

Did you upload from your phone? If so, did you tell it to use any size other than “full size”? The resizing process can strip out the orientation data. Just upload at full size, our system resizes the photos anyway to save space.

timo439

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Portsmouth
State
NH
Did you upload from your phone? If so, did you tell it to use any size other than “full size”? The resizing process can strip out the orientation data. Just upload at full size, our system resizes the photos anyway to save space.

Fixed, just replaced from my PC.

timo439

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Portsmouth
State
NH
After some cajoling, I was convinced to start a series of project videos to show a bit about where I got to, where I learned, what I would do differently, etc... I was surprised how many people wanted to learn and understand at the car show. I am sure I will get a bunch of comments on what I did wrong. Anyway, I am loading a series of monologues to a youtube channel under the name Electric_CJ8 and an instagram account Electric_CJ8.

First episode is posted. Its fairly short. #2 will go up shortly. I sound very "Beuller, Bueller".

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
After some cajoling, I was convinced to start a series of project videos to show a bit about where I got to, where I learned, what I would do differently, etc... I was surprised how many people wanted to learn and understand at the car show. I am sure I will get a bunch of comments on what I did wrong. Anyway, I am loading a series of monologues to a youtube channel under the name Electric_CJ8 and an instagram account Electric_CJ8.

First episode is posted. Its fairly short. #2 will go up shortly. I sound very "Beuller, Bueller".

Can't wait for the next episodes :cheers:
FYI... comments are turned off on the YT video, (not sure if it's only me) :shrug:

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Just watched both episodes. Very informative! Well done. I did not even think about the vacuum for the brake booster.

Loneranger

City
Jefferson City
State
TN
Love the project and videos. What was your ballpark cost for the conversion ? It seems like you did most of the labor for the project.

timo439

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Portsmouth
State
NH
EJ-8 is legal and on the road as of today. I skirted around the inspection last year as I finished up odds and ends. More to be done including an electric brake booster and power steering but it feels good not having to look out for the popo.

timo439

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Portsmouth
State
NH
I am thinking of bringing it back to stock height with 30” tires. Does anyone know of a stock height kit or have some stock leaf springs lying around (New England)?

hefavitzen

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Rock Hill
State
SC
I am thinking of bringing it back to stock height with 30” tires. Does anyone know of a stock height kit or have some stock leaf springs lying around (New England)?
I have a set of Skyjacker front and rear springs that are probably only a 1 or 1.5 inch lift. I have a pair of stock spring shackle hangers too that are brand new, that I am not using.

hefavitzen

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Rock Hill
State
SC
EJ-8 is legal and on the road as of today. I skirted around the inspection last year as I finished up odds and ends. More to be done including an electric brake booster and power steering but it feels good not having to look out for the popo.
This is SUPER impressive! I watched your Youtubes and even my wife was curious. AWESOME!!!!!!

timo439

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Portsmouth
State
NH
I finally got street legal a few months ago and have been driving it around quite a bit lately. Once I got the feel of how it responds, driving around became really amazing. I have more to do, electric brakes, electric power steering, the second battery box, etc... but its definitely an around towner already.

I did have one nagging issue that really had been around for many years (before the conversion), its just that the vacuum pump made it worse. Before the conversion, I would get squeaking going down the road, almost like a rubber on metal sound. I chased it for a bit but I couldn't reproduce so I gave it up and lived with it. Now with the vacuum pump and its squeak, I would get it constantly when the pump ran. I spend 5 minutes today tracking it down in the driveway with the hood up but couldn't reproduce. I closed the hood but left it unlatched so I could open it quickly if I heard it. No squeak. Finally when I latched it and made the pump run, success. Long story short, for 8 years I lived with a squeak that I was sure was body mount of shock bushings. Turns out it was just the springs in the hood latch. A little WD-40 and all gone! I'll need some better lube but so satisfying that I found it.

So if your chasing a squeak, check your hood latches first. I took one off but then realized I could spray lube in through a small hole just under the hook part.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Sorry to laugh, but I hate those noises you can’t find. Glad this one turned out to be nothing difficult to handle

timo439

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Portsmouth
State
NH
Laughing is all good, was laughing at myself all day.

Put about 40 miles on yesterday making beach runs and running errands. Still running like a top. Need to adjust the throttle map as I discovered some untapped power a little higher in the range. It took off like it had a turbo.

jc_chandler

City
Denver
State
CO
Very cool, I think I'm going to tackle the same thing soon. I think I've pretty much determined that the Volvo electric pump isn't powerful enough to run both the steering box and the hydraulic brake booster. What are you thinking for power steering?