Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
At least they didn't officially name them Scrambler (would make trips to the LPS even more complicated than it already is). Kind of feel bad for owners of classic Gladiators (but at least they can be referred to as J series).

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
Every time I see one of these from the side I feel it is missing a roll bar.
I'm also wondering if in 30+ years people will be searching for the Gladiator the same as we are with the Scrambler. :shrug:

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Every time I see one of these from the side I feel it is missing a roll bar.
I'm also wondering if in 30+ years people will be searching for the Gladiator the same as we are with the Scrambler. :shrug:
Want ad you won't see in 2050:

Anyone have one of those angry face grill covers hidden away somewhere? Looking for one for my project Gladiator.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Congrats - sure is sharp looking!

Any mods plans for it? There sure are a lot of bed racks already available. This is the JCR full bed rack:

View attachment 82365

View attachment 82366

View attachment 82367

View attachment 82368

View attachment 82369
The only thing I plan on doing to mine, which I ordered today: a rubber bed mat, DeeZee part#87026

I did not special order mine, I bought it as it came on the dealer's lot. Mine came with the Jeep/Mopar rear bed hard tonneau cover, no bed liner. I like the hard tonneau, it will keep the bed clean when not in use. I hate bed liner, so happy about that. But, I wanted something to protect the bed floor. On my Scramblers, since original bed mats are hard to find/expensive, I have just been using 18 wheeler mud flaps as bed mats. Works perfect. Protects the bed when needed, easily removable when not in use/for cleaning/to allow floor to dry out.

The bed mat for the Gladiator cost $95 shipped. I think my three mud flaps cost a hair less LOL.

The funny thing is, I brought my Gladiator home last Tuesday. I might have driven it 30 miles since then. Since the weather has been so nice, I have been driving my CJ-7 and my two Scramblers :crazy:

I will most definitely NOT be putting "angry grill cover" or "Scrambler/Honcho" decals on my Gladiator. My Gladiator will stay stock, daily driver, just like my LJ, so it would be a boring build thread LOL.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I have put 1,400 mile on my Gladiator so far. No problems, still like it. Engine/transmission seem to be broken in, runs/shifts great. Mostly city driving, a few trips to New Orleans and Mobile with it. My continuous MPG has been around 18, so happy with that.

A few pictures, everyone likes pictures!!!!!!!!!!

Front shot, optional LED lights/Max Tow grill:

20200506_171703.jpg

Side shot: (steel rock rails BUT plastic front and rear bumpers, WTF) (correctly mounted antennae)

20200506_171714.jpg

Rear shot, LED lights, back up camera: (wish I had the front trail camera!!!) Rear tail light housing also house the rear "collision avoidance sensors.
20200506_171728.jpg

Inside the bed, LED lights, aftermarket rubber bed mat, factory installed hard tonneau cover:

20200506_171740.jpg

Interior, optional full leather, big info screen, heated seats and mirrors, premium dash display, factory rubber floor mats, etc.

20200506_171802.jpg 20200506_171808.jpg

20200506_171816.jpg

Rear seat has flip down console/cup holders. AC vents/USV ports in the rear of the front console. Freedom top storage bag still on the back seat.

20200506_171830.jpg

It came with these painted wheels, I like them, hides brake dust well!! Still has factory chalk marks on them, and little red Jeeps:

20200506_172219.jpg

20200506_172229.jpg

Last edited:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Back up camera:

20200506_172507.jpg

View from the driver seat is pretty cool. If you don't wash all the soap out of the hood louvers then bubbles blow out the next time you drive it in the rain LOL:

20200506_172657.jpg

Random driving picture, heading into down town Mobile on I10 East:

20200522_150722.jpg

All in all, I am happy with it. Definitely NOT a CJ/Scrambler, or even a TJ/LJ. Much bigger vehicle, rides different, but still nice. I call it my "Jeep Spaceship", due to the way it looks/all the electronic crapola all over the place.

Anyway, if anyone want any pictures/more information just let me know and I will post up.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Automatic? Why not a fun speed? Seems a shame given so few cars even offer manuals these days.
I prefer manual transmissions in my CJ's :thumbsup:

In this thing, the 8 speed auto/285HP V6 work really well together. For a "medium" sized vehicle, this thing can move pretty good if you push it :thumbsup: :twocents:

I'm not sure if a standard transmission would be a good match for the Gladiator :shrug:

Also, the maximum tow rating with the standard transmission is rated very low compared to the automatic.

Last edited:
City
White Rock
State
NM
well I failed spectacularly on the pics but I did pick up 2020 rubicon in gobi brown on 1 May, went gas after giving up on the Diesel and being tired of the wife nagging me about the dodge cummins she wanted gone. (this replaced that). So it now becomes our travelling 'car' and she is uber reluctant to let me make any mods to it....

I must have built this thing dozen times on the jeep web page, how did you not get the red dash and got tan interior spanks? I never saw either of those as available

Scrambler is staying for now but may go to the grandson for Christmas/birthday if mom and grandma will allow it...

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
well I failed spectacularly on the pics but I did pick up 2020 rubicon in gobi brown on 1 May, went gas after giving up on the Diesel and being tired of the wife nagging me about the dodge cummins she wanted gone. (this replaced that). So it now becomes our travelling 'car' and she is uber reluctant to let me make any mods to it....

I must have built this thing dozen times on the jeep web page, how did you not get the red dash and got tan interior spanks? I never saw either of those as available

Scrambler is staying for now but may go to the grandson for Christmas/birthday if mom and grandma will allow it...
The one I bought was sitting on the lot just like this :shrug: I bought it as it sat, maybe someone else ordered it and backed out?

I am glad it does not have the red dash, and I dig the tan leather :thumbsup:

If I were being picky, the only other options I would want, but kind of gimmicky: the advanced cruise control and the front trail camera. It did come with the nifty "behind the seat blue tooth capable removable speaker" :rotfl:

Wish it came with steel bumpers front and back, especially being a "Rubicon", that will end up costing me $1,000 down the line......

I hope you don't sell the Scrambler, but if you do, it sounds like it will being going to a great home :fingerscrossed::thumbsup::wave:

TXJEEP

Legacy Registered User
City
Copper Canyon
State
TX
I’m not criticizing anyone’s decision. Generally, I like it and was looking forward to the release for a long time. I just can’t get past the taillights. They look like a mistake or an afterthought. I see trying to keep the tradition but something has to compromise. I would suggest narrowed and built into the rear. Narrowing the tailgate would seem to take a lot of functionality away.

City
White Rock
State
NM
I got mine off the lot too, had to go to Alamosa Co it was one of three left, an overland and a launch edition neither were what I thought I wanted and neither were the right color for sure but it was what I thought I wanted at the time given the diesel wasnt available. The only thing I might have added were the aux programmable switches and maybe the upgraded center TV deal to get nav, but thats what my phone is for. Id rather it had your wheels, I dont like the upgraded Rubicon wheels to begin with and then to have to pay the option price for them too.... Oh well, I can recoup some of that if I change them out. really doesnt matter I guess, Im getting all sorts of resistance to ANY modifications to how it was delivered to the dealer. In retrospect Id probably looked for a non rubicon but it is what it is.

about 18-18.5 mpg for the first 1k miles including about half of that with a 20' flat bed trailer with some building materials on it.

all the more reason to keep the scrambler I guess, dont want miles or scratches or dirt on the new one...

pics to come, eventually

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
I’m not criticizing anyone’s decision. Generally, I like it and was looking forward to the release for a long time. I just can’t get past the taillights. They look like a mistake or an afterthought. I see trying to keep the tradition but something has to compromise. I would suggest narrowed and built into the rear. Narrowing the tailgate would seem to take a lot of functionality away.
Ya, they're probably trying to keep the tailgate as wide as possible. Those lights definitely aren't set up for tight off-road trails. With the LED technology today I'm sure they could design something slimlined to the corners. The best ideas/designs don't always make it into production.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
IMO, the whole vehicle is a hodge podge of design elements :twocents: Nothing really flows, lots of weird shapes/angles/protrusions/colors, etc. I guess that's why I like it, it is just weird :shrug: :thumbsup:

As for the tail lights, they might have to stick out for the "rear collision avoidance" sensors to work :shrug: The tail lights are the one thing that doesn't bug me LOL :thumbsup:

Moabite

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Moab
State
UT
I have put 1,400 mile on my Gladiator so far. No problems, still like it. Engine/transmission seem to be broken in, runs/shifts great. Mostly city driving, a few trips to New Orleans and Mobile with it. My continuous MPG has been around 18, so happy with that.

A few pictures, everyone likes pictures!!!!!!!!!!

Front shot, optional LED lights/Max Tow grill:
Nice Gladiator! The reason you do not have the red dash is because you have tan seats. That is one of the few ways to eliminate the red dash. I initially thought I did not want a red dash, but am now glad that is what I have. It adds a splash of color that my girlfriend really likes. I decided to embrace it and add red visor covers. With your exterior color, I don't think the red dash would be a good thing.

And btw, the grille is the same on all Gladiators. Grille slots are wider than on the JL for enhanced cooling for towing purposes. The Max Tow package is not available on Rubicons. The "Trailer-Tow Package" is a different animal.

I've had mine since last August (after waiting 103 days for the order) and will hit the 9000-mile mark within the next week. Mine took so long to get because there was initially a shortage of steel bumpers. I still get people asking about it nearly every day I'm out with it. And I still love it about as much as I did my Scrambler...especially since it is so much easier to go topless. The Freedom Panels are easy enough to remove, but my favorite mod so far has been the Bestop Sunrider. I can be topless in less than 5 seconds (I've timed it).

vertex mount.jpg

Last edited: