• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Gladiator

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I think they're going to sell because it's a truck that has a removable top and doors.

I actually liked the topless look a lot more than I thought I would. I definitely would have agreed that the weirdest part of the design is the area with the lines between the cab/bed/front edge of the rear fender flare/rear door opening...
IMG_0752.PNG

...until I saw this on Jeep.com showing it with the bikini top setup :sick: I hate that top look on the JL and it's even worse here... Someone on FB pointed out that this top looks like a bad combover and that's EXACTLY RIGHT. It's horrific :banghead:

All-New_2020_Jeep®_Gladiator_-_The_New_Standard.jpg

Moabite

CJ-8 Member
City
Moab
State
UT
Hmmm...I'm almost tempted to run to town today to see if I can spot one of the Gladiators. I'll be buying one. I haven't decided if I will do so as soon as the order banks open or if I will wait until "late availability" Gobi or Sting Grey is available. Only Red, Billet, white and black will be available at launch. I'm also tempted to make a few phone calls. I'd be willing to bet I know who is guiding them.

The Rubicon and Overland models will only have payloads of 1100-1200 pounds (automatic Rubicon is 1160 lbs.). To get the 1500-1600-pound payload requires the Sport model. The automatic Sport has a payload of 1535 lbs. while the manual has the most at 1600 lbs. At this point, I'm torn between the additional payload of the Sport or the off-road capabilities of the Rubicon...but will most likely go with the Rubicon.

There's a lot of talk about the excessive overhang on the Gladiator. When our Scramblers came out, no one listed approach, departure or breakover angles. Scramblers were just called "tail-draggers" by many. However, overhang was listed. Rear overhang on the Gladiator is 51 inches. Rear overhang on the Scrambler was listed as 50.3 inches. The Scrambler overhang apparently includes the spare (I just measured mine), which is why the Gladiator looks so much longer. Since my 50.3-inch overhang never stopped me from going anyplace on our local trails, I doubt that the additional 0.7" is going to do so either...though several inches of the Scrambler's overhang is just in the middle and the Gladiator's is full-width. My Scrambler's original rear bumper is "like new" and the plastic end caps are pristine. The longer wheelbase will require some careful driving.

When the JK was first shown at EJS, I told the Jeep reps that I would never buy one since they had made the windshield almost impossible to lower. I should have listened to myself. I made the mistake of buying a JKUR, but only kept it for about 3 years. Never really liked it though I did like the sunrider top. Since a JT will be my daily driver, I will get the hard top for security...but will still have the easily-removable Freedom Panels. The JT will have an available tonneau cover at launch and I'm interested to see what types of hard or soft shells become available in the aftermarket.

I'm sure FCA will sell a ton of these, and I also think the run will be longer than that of the Scrambler. When I re-bought my Scrambler in early 2016, I envisioned lots of topless cruising around Moab. But I discovered that the top is not as easy to remove as it was in the 80's and 90's. It has apparently gained weight. So I rarely remove the top anymore...and in fact have discovered that I seem to be more interested in preserving the vehicle than driving it. So I will most likely let it go (again). That, and trading or selling my '16 GMC Canyon will put a good dent in the price of the JT. Interestingly, the total length of the JT is within an inch of my short-bed Canyon Crew Cab. The JT looks much bigger in photos.

Last edited:

SKT

Legacy Registered User
City
APO
State
AE
I find it comical how many people claim that it’s not enough truck. I would venture to say that the tow rating and bed capacity will be suffice for most daily driver and weekend warriors. Picking up bags of mulch, pieces of furniture, going hiking/camping/biking/kayaking, etc. is more than doable. Best part, remove the top and doors to go off-road w/ a full Jeep experience!

7E17AAD4-BF49-457A-A302-E5CD15F28218.jpeg078C1325-1974-4DF2-A1CF-854C78CA3940.jpegE76C4761-7BDD-4FCC-9FD0-85A4B8EBC80B.jpeg1B86A82C-23B5-4588-92C3-3C8378924DA9.jpeg

Moabite

CJ-8 Member
City
Moab
State
UT
You forgot the Gobi one. It's not fair that they tease us with "late availability" colors.

2020-Jeep-Gladiator-JT-Pickup-Truck-LA-Auto-Show-45.jpg

Reactions: SKT

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
A tiny bit, but all I can think when I see this is Gillette Mach 3 complete with bowtie lube strip.
View attachment 68131

This article is PERFECT:
https://jalopnik.com/we-need-to-talk-about-truck-design-right-now-before-its-1830860270

"Ram has sort of gone off the deep end as well, and while it has a number of different massive grille designs, it’s got a fondness for grilles that look like the snouts of giant cyborg warthogs, complete with flared nostrils"

:ROFLMAO:

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
The fact that the Gladiator name was used doesn't have anything to do with what this vehicle is/isn't. Jeep's proven that multiple times. It could have just as easily been called a Scrambler, remember (thank God it wasn't)

Jeep people wanted a Jeep-based truck and got a truck-based Jeep. Truck people think it's not enough truck. :shrug:

That said, I actually agree, but that's not how most Jeep fans are looking at it. All I care about off-road is that it can hold its own and the aftermarket plays with it.

My personal feeling about Jeep-branded vehicles is that they don't all have to be Wranglers off-road and they don't have to be built primarily for off-road (with CAFE standards, the brand couldn't exist if they did that) but they need to out-perform all of the direct competition IN THEIR SEGMENT off-road. Jeep wasn't doing that for years and I finally feel like FCA has that figured out. You may hate the Renegade, for example, but until you actually drive one off-road, you have no idea what it can actually do and I'll guarantee you it's better than any of it's direct competition. Same with the Cherokee. I feel good that the Gladiator will deliver that in spades after the report I got yesterday.

One other thing to keep in mind, AEV was HAND BUILDING Jeep crew cabs that took forever to turn out, were about double the price of the Jeep on which they were based, and they sold every one that they ever made without trying. Yes, we're talking hundreds of them, but it pairs with the long-standing outcry for a Wrangler truck.

Definitely going to be interesting to watch what happens here.

I know the success of the Brute and I am sure these will sell well even if people complain about pricing. Like I said I am just a minority and think a truck is a truck and not a trail beast. And I do really like the Renegade for the segment it is in. I rented one with the family and drove it all over Florida. I was a cool little vehicle with a personality.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
It's going dominate the midsize segment; and canibalize some JL sales....

It's plenty big for most folks... 10-15 years ago half ton trucks were at 7500 lb towing....we've just had a constant war pushing the borders...

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I also think the run will be longer than that of the Scrambler.

Agreed from nothing other than scaling up the Brute market based on the lower (than a Brute) purchase price.

I also think that the any company to come up with a 100% complete HEMI swap kit including the crate motor for the Gladiator will be rolling in money.

Bobs85Reny

Legacy Registered User
City
Wayne
State
NJ
I think Chrysler got this one right. The midsize truck segment has been lacking options. Tacoma has capitalized on this for many years. Most people who are going to buy this truck are not going to be hardcore offroaders. No one thought the 4dr jk jeep would last for long. If it wasn't for the JKU the jeep brand would probably have been history by now. Look how many JKU's have been sold. How many of these do you think ever even see a dirt road.

I have not been this excited about anything in the jeep brand since my LJ. I see this as a great customizable platform not just a pickup. The fact that it is the only pickup with a completely removable top alone makes this such a great highly configurable camper overland vehicle. Just think of the possibilities in tops alone in the aftermarket segment.

I honestly never thought they would actually build one this good. I expected some watered down IFS truck with a 7 slot grill with limited tow capacity. This truck off the assembly line can handle 35's, It has a great tow capacity, room for 4, a decent size bed, SFA, traditional jeep styling and is a convertible. Not to mention diesel option next year. What more could you have asked them to build? Its funny we finally get a great pickup from jeep after 26 years and we are ripping it for break over angles.

My biggest fear is pricing. I doubt I will be buying one new. I will have to wait a few years like I did with my LJ and get a lease return with low mileage. I can't see or afford shelling out over 50g for a new jeep.

I am also glad they didn't call it a Scrambler. As it is it was starting to get annoying when searching scrambler stuff. At least our Scrambler heritage is still sacred for now.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I agree with pretty much everything you said except this:
No one thought the 4dr jk jeep would last for long.

Jeep under forecast the sales split from 2 to 4 doors, but there were an absolute crap ton of people who saw it doing exactly as well as it did considering the hole in the Jeep lineup that was left by the XJ going away and the wheelbase for wheeling like the LJ.

Reactions: SKT

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Right? I knew the 4 door would sell. A lot of us were getting older and having kids. Not having to get out of the Jeep brand was a big deal. Especially for those that were not hard core off roaders but liked to get the tires dirty occasionally.

Bobs85Reny

Legacy Registered User
City
Wayne
State
NJ
I know I will get flamed for this but the discontinuation of the XJ was probably one of the best things that happened to jeep. Here is my reasoning for it. First they tried the replacement for it with the Liberty. Don't get me wrong I have a Liberty and I like it. Its got over 225,000 miles and its still my DD but it would never be an XJ replacement. It was the watered down suv with a 7 slot grill. (Kind of what I thought the pickup would become).
That did leave a gapping hole in the 4dr offroad segment. The kj lasted for several years. When the JKU came out I felt this was an even better replacement for the XJ but you would read all over the forums how it wasn't a real jeep because it had 4drs and was just a soccer Moms jeep.
there were the naysayers out there. Look what it became. Maybe its because of that we actually got the true pickup jeep fans have been wanting for years. Just my 2 cents

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
Here's a walkthrough/interview at the LA Auto Show:
(don't really care for the host)

One of the most interesting parts is the interview with Tim Kuniskis Head of Jeep Brand North America.
At 14:55 - 15:41 they discuss the reasoning for the lack of the 2 door (lack of ROI due to low sale numbers), and the V8 (lack of space for crush zone).

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
2 door (lack of ROI due to low sale numbers)

Read my comment above about underforecasting the JKU popularity. This is underforecasting the sales of a 2-door extended cab. They looked at sales from other brands in the typical pickup market and are ignoring the fact that the “Jeep people” are not the typical pickup market. :banghead:

I also say a basic short cab, de-optioned 2-door would have sold as work trucks ALL DAY LONG. The fleet sales alone would have been enormous and it would just happen to be the perfect base to tear apart for a wheeler. :shrug:

SKT

Legacy Registered User
City
APO
State
AE

Another detailed overview video.

Certainly a lot of well thought out features, including the TPMS, which is explained around the 14:00 minute mark:

SKT

Legacy Registered User
City
APO
State
AE

These two JT’s were apparently spotted in WV:

2F62C1A9-3A04-4274-A0D1-49007B57602B.jpeg

Last edited: