• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Gun rack

Root Moose

Fight Entropy!
City
left
State
ON
Did Jeep/AMC ever offer a rifle rack/holder that mounted on the windshield frame like on the old MA/MB military Jeeps for the CJ7/8?

I'm not certain if the M38A1 had this, fairly certain the M38 did but am at a loss to find a pic.

Anyone seen something like this?

CJ-8_Jim

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
NW Chicago Suburb
State
IL
The MCs had that windshield mount too for the M1s -- we have one our family's MC. Not sure that anything like that was available on 80's era CJs since the dashpad is in the exact location where the gun rack would be mounted.

My 8's PO installed a 2 piece, modern double gun rack behind the seats on the bulkhead.

N

n9viw

Never seen such a thing, but that's not to say it can't be done. ;)

If I wanted a rifle rack on the windshield, I'd make it as follows:
* Bracket bolted to the windshield frame made of 1x1/8" steel, coated in foam or something, to cradle the butt of the rifle. Would help to have a velcro strap to go over the top.
* Second bracket bolted to the windshield frame on the passenger side, to which would be bolted a piece of 2" PVC with pipe insulation inside it, to cradle the muzzle.
* Third bracket bolted to the windshield frame in the middle, with just a padded brace and strap, to keep the rifle situated in a vertical position.

If you come across anything, be sure to post pics, but just bending your mind to the application (or applying already bent mind) can bring up all sorts of solutions that won't cost much more than toll change and some work.

Root Moose

Fight Entropy!
City
left
State
ON
CJ-8_Jim said:
My 8's PO installed a 2 piece, modern double gun rack behind the seats on the bulkhead.

Interesting idea but I'll be removing the bulkhead and having kids sitting on the rear bench. Not sure if that is a good idea till they get a lot older.

Did I see one that kinda fit into the passenger side footwell before?

Root Moose

Fight Entropy!
City
left
State
ON
n9viw said:
If you come across anything, be sure to post pics, but just bending your mind to the application (or applying already bent mind) can bring up all sorts of solutions that won't cost much more than toll change and some work.

Will do. Was hoping to find something that looked "factory" or "military contractor" style - even to replicate it.

;)

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Keep it simple....

Just use the old school method :D
T066-1.jpg

...and keep your head down!

Root Moose

Fight Entropy!
City
left
State
ON
John N said:
Just use the old school method :D
T066.jpg

...and keep your head down!

That's the ticket!

When I was a kid there was a bunch of M38A1CDNs that formerly had recoilless rifles atop them going through Crown Assets Disposal. They had the winshield with the "gap" for the gun barrel and such.

Always wished I put in a larger bid for one. Would have been a nice way to get introduced to Jeeps.

Raven

Legacy Registered User
City
Glen Rose
State
tx
Only the military jeeps had anythin like that. I built one for my 8 that sits between the seats. Makes it easier and safe to get at when hunting.

I can get some pictures next week when I go back to the ranch if you want.

SC

trust

PITA
City
White Rock
State
NM
Don't know about factory options but there were aftermarket units available, one that held several long guns and had a lockable storage box below ala a tuffy, another was more akin to the military units where they ran horizontally beneath the windshield, one or two long guns, but this was pre 76 as I recall and so there was usually no dash pad and if there was it was small. Don't recall the mfgr but I'll try to remember to look tonight

Root Moose

Fight Entropy!
City
left
State
ON
trust said:
Don't know about factory options but there were aftermarket units available, one that held several long guns and had a lockable storage box below ala a tuffy, another was more akin to the military units where they ran horizontally beneath the windshield, one or two long guns, but this was pre 76 as I recall and so there was usually no dash pad and if there was it was small. Don't recall the mfgr but I'll try to remember to look tonight

Cool, would appreciate that.

I may end up removing the dash pad if I can't find a satisfactory location for the LCD for my nav computer.

N

n9viw

Just had another thought- will you be taking this thing thru tight trees? If not, you could possibly make a rack to bolt to the OUTSIDE of the Jeep, just behind the door, holding the rifle(s) upright and strapped in to a rack. Helpful if you're transporting yourself and 3-4 mates out back to the stands, and each guy can grab his rifle on his way out.
(Obviously, I still haven't found a pic for a rifle rack in a CJ, just keep coming up with ways to make one. Guess I'm just cheap that way. :o )

Raven

Legacy Registered User
City
Glen Rose
State
tx
Well I finally got the picture I promised. Sorry it took so long, hope this helps.

I used the bulkhead for a stop on my lower mount, you could weld a piece of steel if that does not work for you.

Take Care SC

canzo

equal opportunity annoyer
City
Alexandria
State
VA
Hey! Nice rack! :D

Ahem. Anyway, I remember some of the military rigs I drove had a butt plate that was raised off the floor of the vehicle a couple of inches and then a clasp at the top around the barrel - two separate pieces. The rifle pointed up at the roof.

mtruckstuff

Back Home in Colorado
City
Loveland
State
CO
(This is an old thread, but what the heck!)

OR....get a reproduction military rack and adapt it!

The wrong way...(it's only this way because the guy has a Tommy Gun in the rack!!!)
RifleRackJeepThompson-1.jpg

The right way.... with a regular rifle
RifleRackWillysMBJeepJPG-1.jpg

Buy one here...Scroll clear to the bottom
http://www.midwestmil.com/m38p11.html

Paul

Last edited:

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
I don't need the gun rack...I would like a Tommy gun. :)

canzo

equal opportunity annoyer
City
Alexandria
State
VA
John N said:
I don't need the gun rack...I would like a Tommy gun. :)
I second that! :D

Paul,
It depends on what you're huntin', now don't it??
Shotgun for quail.
Bow and arrow for deer.
Rifle for bear.
Tommy gun for jerks on the road that play their music too loud and aren't paying attention 'cause they are too busy punching keys on their cell phones in order to send their next text message.

:D :D :D

mtruckstuff

Back Home in Colorado
City
Loveland
State
CO
Particularly Cell Phone Abusers:mad: :mad: Normal jerks are pretty predictable and can be manipulated.:rolleyes:
Paul

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
mtruckstuff said:
Particularly Cell Phone Abusers:mad: :mad: Normal jerks are pretty predictable and can be manipulated.:rolleyes:
Paul
I want some mounted .50 M2s for those jerks, maybe some small heat seeking projectiles :eek: :D :D :D ......