Hayduke

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Withrop Harbor
State
IL
Did some more paint stripping on the Tub and started working on replacing metal where the roll bar mounts. I'll Por 15 the inside of the body and weld in the new plate. later I plan to try Eastwood's inside frame coating inside the rails of the tub and frame....

rust.jpg

Hayduke

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Withrop Harbor
State
IL
After yet another night of manual paint stripping and sore arms.....

Now to do the other side...

Hayduke

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Withrop Harbor
State
IL
Stripped the other side of the inside and most of the bottom, I plan to finish it by media blasting it this weekend...

Hayduke

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Withrop Harbor
State
IL
Klein Strip Aircraft Paint Remover seems to the best compromise, very fumey but effective.

Sent from my SM-G900V

Hayduke

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Withrop Harbor
State
IL
more body work!

Project Update: I finished the welding on the tub. filled in the two holes under the driver side rollbar feet via the same process;
Cut out the bad

burn in a filler plate:

and later, I'll come in with professional body filler / glass and smooth it out.

Next I'm going to start cleaning up the frame as it's cold Wisconsin winter weather here (good for welding!)

Last edited:

Hayduke

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Withrop Harbor
State
IL
Here's the Frame the way I got it, les some parts I removed. You can also see the new parts I decided to buy. The frame didn't have a rear cross member, and most of the body mount wings were in poor shape....

The frame did come with the front frame plates on it. I guess that's not a bad thing as I'll be going with a Chevy V8 for this build...

If someone made the crossmember that goes in front of the fuel tank I'd be tempted to get one, but it doesn't look like they are made so I'll repair the original.

Lastly... Does anyone know what the removable angle channel is that screws to the center crossmembers pictured here (removed at an angle) ?

Last edited:

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
Lastly... Does anyone know what the removable angle channel is that screws to the center crossmembers pictured here (removed at an angle) ?

This has been asked before, but I don't think the answer has ever been 100% confirmed.
I believe it is the shield for the fuel tank, from the sharp edge of the crossmember.
shield.JPG

Only found it listed for the factory 20 gal. poly tank.

Hayduke

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Withrop Harbor
State
IL
The rear cross member is a beefy CheifWaho Special! :woot:

I think I'll bolt it on, then weld on the bottom and sides in a few places, but not on the top. So if I ever wanted to remove it, I could cut the welds and pop it off....

Hayduke

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Withrop Harbor
State
IL
Hi Guys, I started work on the frame again last light. removing paint, grim & rust getting ready to install the rear cross member. I'm trying to determine how to line up the new body mount wings as the factory manual only provides a few measurements. I think the centerline may be key.... Any ideas?

gr8dain

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Just looking to get measurements for the rear crossmember? When I put my Chief Waho special cross member, I just centered it and made sure the sides stuck out from the frame rails the same amount.

Hayduke

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Withrop Harbor
State
IL
No, I'm not concerned with mounting the cross member. Some of my body mount wings are rotted out on the frame so I'll be replacing all of them. I'm trying to determine how to get the new ones in the correct locations with the minimal measurements in the factory service manual. :fingerscrossed:

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I have done a ton of those replacements using those body mounts you have there and you have to really line them up and do one at a time.
Draw a center line to the frame from the hold in the rotten mount, then measure to the center from the frame and cut off what you don't need on the replacement pieces (if applicable).
Then cut the old one off and tack in the new one, get measurements, make sure it is good, burn it in.

Or, you can cut off 2, one on the left/right, mount the tub, line up all the other 10 mounts and do the work to the 2 you cut off and you get an exact fit to your tub.
This is lots of extra work, but it will be perfect tub to frame.

Also consider the height of the mounts where they are... you can keep them as is (measure to make sure), or weld them up an inch higher and get a built in body lift without pucks.

cb

gr8dain

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I did as Craig mentioned with marking the frame perpendicular to the frame and going through the center of the mount. I also had mine welded on an inch higher to get that "body lift" that was mentioned.