Hayduke

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Withrop Harbor
State
IL
Thanks for the info Guys! The weather was so nice today (70 degrees in WI) I hit the boneyards with some friends and came home with a NV241C from a 1989 Suburban 2500. So I guess I've started purchasing the driveline backwards... :crazy:

Hayduke

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Withrop Harbor
State
IL
I did some more work on the frame last night. I drilled drain holes inboard of both main eye spring hangers, and then holes back where the rear of the frame rusts out. I found that right at the bend the frame was very hard to drill through (seemed thicker) and it was much easier a few inched back from this.

Hayduke

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Withrop Harbor
State
IL
I picked up a set of 1986 CJ Dana 44/20 axles at the Boneyard to replace my old axles. These axles are in much better shape. I sold the old set of very rusty axles already as well.

I decided to go disc brakes on the Dana 44 when I install it. I'm thinking of going with the Rough Stuff weld-on brackets? Anyone here tried those yet?

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
W-S
State
NC
I've got the AMC20 with Moser 1 piece axles. I want to say that I was able to use the same rotors as the front. They are 7/8" thick. The older CJ's are 1 1/8" thick. I'll look back at my thread and see if I can jog my memory. Great score on the 44, any idea of the ratio?

Hayduke

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Withrop Harbor
State
IL
The axles are 3.31 x 1 gears.

I've finished the frame work for now, Welded 4 patches and fixed one threaded insert. Going to coat the frame in Por15 outside and Eastwood inside frame coating inside. Used Metal Prep (Phosphoric Acid, Zinc Phosphate) on the outside & rinsed in prep for Por15 already. Here's what it looks like:

Hayduke

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Withrop Harbor
State
IL
Started with the bottom of the frame first: two coats Por15, two coats Rustoleum black & one coat Eastwood inside frame coating. Next I'll flip the frame and do the same. Bottom took over 12 hours to do by hand.

Hayduke

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Withrop Harbor
State
IL
I bought a passenger front new side panel for the tub and started installing it but it's not in yet. I'll have to take some pics.