• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Hayduke's Operation: Scrambled Scrambler

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
the vent/tray is just that - to send warm air towards your crotch.

Hayduke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Withrop Harbor
State
IL
Thanks for the info Guys! The weather was so nice today (70 degrees in WI) I hit the boneyards with some friends and came home with a NV241C from a 1989 Suburban 2500. So I guess I've started purchasing the driveline backwards... :crazy:

Hayduke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Withrop Harbor
State
IL
I did some more work on the frame last night. I drilled drain holes inboard of both main eye spring hangers, and then holes back where the rear of the frame rusts out. I found that right at the bend the frame was very hard to drill through (seemed thicker) and it was much easier a few inched back from this.

Hayduke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Withrop Harbor
State
IL
I picked up a set of 1986 CJ Dana 44/20 axles at the Boneyard to replace my old axles. These axles are in much better shape. I sold the old set of very rusty axles already as well.

I decided to go disc brakes on the Dana 44 when I install it. I'm thinking of going with the Rough Stuff weld-on brackets? Anyone here tried those yet?

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
I've got the AMC20 with Moser 1 piece axles. I want to say that I was able to use the same rotors as the front. They are 7/8" thick. The older CJ's are 1 1/8" thick. I'll look back at my thread and see if I can jog my memory. Great score on the 44, any idea of the ratio?

Hayduke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Withrop Harbor
State
IL
The axles are 3.31 x 1 gears.

I've finished the frame work for now, Welded 4 patches and fixed one threaded insert. Going to coat the frame in Por15 outside and Eastwood inside frame coating inside. Used Metal Prep (Phosphoric Acid, Zinc Phosphate) on the outside & rinsed in prep for Por15 already. Here's what it looks like:

Hayduke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Withrop Harbor
State
IL
Started with the bottom of the frame first: two coats Por15, two coats Rustoleum black & one coat Eastwood inside frame coating. Next I'll flip the frame and do the same. Bottom took over 12 hours to do by hand.

Hayduke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Withrop Harbor
State
IL
I bought a passenger front new side panel for the tub and started installing it but it's not in yet. I'll have to take some pics.

Hayduke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Withrop Harbor
State
IL
Hello, I'm back at work on the scrambler, I took some pictures of the new side panel and old.
First I cut and peeled off the old panel as I decided it wasn't good enough. Air chisel helped. This is partially the YJ front panel anyway.

Peeling panel.jpg

Here's what I found:

open rust.jpg

I cleaned it up. Here are both panels:

20200327_140646.jpg

And cleaned tub:
Cleaned area.jpg

Hayduke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Withrop Harbor
State
IL
So the panel didn't line up perfect, it was a tiny bit short at the end, I also wasn't thrilled with the new panels Wheel arch, So I made a backing plate and welded the factory one back on.
wheel arch.jpg

Before burning in the new panel, I drilled holes to "spot weld" it on, Then I POR-15'd the open box and areas that would get covered. This is clear POR-15.

box.jpg

I then slowly trimmed the new panel back to meet the wheel arch piece. I then added a thin backing plate.

rear spice backing.jpg

I also cut the flange off the section between the box and rear. This was done because that section is double layer = twice as thick so the panels would not end up flush. I put a metal level on the panel to align them as I welded this section.

Rear burnin.jpg

I tacked the rear, then the front.

new Side.jpg

Now I have a LOT of tack welding to do! I plan to burn in / tack the top edge, then do the underside and mid panel behind "Jeep". I think I'll end up making this side of the tub stronger in addition to smoother!

Hayduke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Withrop Harbor
State
IL
I hope in the end I feel like this was worth it! What do you think? :unsure:

Putting this panel in is not a quick process and I'm only part way done. I do realize I'm attaching it to a already modified body, which is why it ended up a hair short.
It's the body filler step I don't feel great at, have not decided what to do there...

Last edited: