• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Help with shipping big parts? Not UPS or FedEX

tom82cj8

Scrambler Pro
City
Austin
State
TX
Anyone have any experience shipping parts via truck freight? I would like to get some parts from Kansas City to Austin. The parts are large, but not heavy. KC to Austin is a straight shot on Interstate 35. How can I advertise my partial load? I have used LTL for moving a tractor before on a flatbed, but never in an enclosed semi.

Help please.....

Thanks,
Tom

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Same boat...

I'm sorta in the same boat as I am trying to finad a way to ship my Dana 44 from KY to W Tx. Truck freight is easier in your case as the items are not as heavy? Mine would likely need a forklift at both points since the driver aon't gonna throw out his back moving it! Don't blame him either! But depending on what it is I have two suggestions.
Greyhound. Yup, the bus folks. I've never done this but there are lots of folks around that use them for moving stuff. Slower but usually cheaper and dependable.
The other thing, which I am trying now, is uShip. Its kinda an...uh, expedia for transportation companies? Sorry, that may be a bad annalogy.?. You post the item by size/weight/etc and shipping companies can bid on it. Let me see if I can get the linky to work.

http://www.uship.com/

Good luck!:cheers:

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
Lifetime Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
Pirate4x4 has a section on the Forum that you might try.

And there is always ytmag.com

They are tractor folks and often there are people moving parts all over the US. Check out there Forum and see if there is a truck going the way you want.

Carl

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
my CJ-8 frame was shipped from Montana to Buffalo, NY by "Old Dominion Frieght" went great. cant remember how much it cost though.

AJ2393

Scrambled in the Head
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
North Dighton
State
MA
I am in the construction industry and I ship big and heavy stuff for work all the time by truck freight. First, for ease of shipping everything should be strapped to a pallet and wrapped in pallet wrap. Go on craigslist and you'll find free pallets in your area if you don't have any. Truck drivers don't want to mess around with items that are not easily moved by their on board pallet jack.

For commercial location deliveries the biggest factors impacting the cost are: dimensions of the shipment (length and width), weight, and distance of travel. Because commercial locations usually have a loading dock, the truck pulls up and rolls the pallet off (or on) and the driver leaves. This keeps the cost down.

For residential deliveries, all these commercial factors apply plus a fee to have a lift gate truck deliver and pick-up and/or drop your pallet (unless you happen to have a loading dock at the house). Also, you have to have a way to get the pallet onto (or off) the lift gate on the truck. These are all things just to keep in mind.

In my experience, the cheapest shipper has been Old Dominion. We have used a bunch of other companies too like Fedex freight, Conway, Roadway, and small private companies. The only one I would stay away from is Conway as many of my shipments have been damaged and mishandled by them. Other than that, your going to have to call and get lots of estimates because prices vary widely from carrier to carrier.

Hope this helps.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
I know you said no UPS or Fed-x, but how about UPS Freight? They used to be Overnight Transportation. I've used them for big stuff, I built huge crate on a pallet and took it to their terminal.

Orionn

Vehicular Packrat
City
Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti
State
Mi
Another place to look at, if time is not a real factor, is using Greyhound Bus line.

they ship light frieght very reasonably, but not very good if you need it in a hurry.

Hope that helps