• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Holley Sniper EFI for BBD Carbs

ag4ever

Average Nut
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Now to figure out how to drop the pump and modify the sending unit float swing.

I would be fine with a 2 gallon reserve and it to not come off full for 4 gallons, so I may fab a strip of metal to drop the mount down 1 screw hole. for the pump, I can try to bend the feed pipe to lower it, or lengthen the rubber line. I am leaning towards lengthened rubber line.

ag4ever

Average Nut
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
With everything I have been fighting, it looks like it was a simple problem.

F0FD59FE-44F6-45F5-8948-0C7EA1DF7A7A.jpeg

I dropped the tank to install the Holley in tank pump setup, and found a kinked supply line hose. Looks like the hose was pulled and developed a kink that prevented fuel flow on the low pressure feed side.

Now I am torn, I have a Holley in tank setup about 95% ready to install. Do I install that or just fix the kink with a longer hose that has a more gentle radius.

Last edited:

ag4ever

Average Nut
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
On a side note, I have been using another 20 gallon tank for dimensions and mock-up purposes. The sending unit nut was STUCK. I tried all my tricks to get it loose, and it would not budge. Turns out, a 3 3/8” impact socket fits the nut perfect and clears the sending unit piping.

9898DA51-5B2B-416F-B7C4-16C59F9F8CD3.jpeg 94BFCA47-D5E5-4D37-A4AF-C5D4FB0D60FB.jpeg 37924625-D689-45B2-B9C0-3F0175123B9E.jpeg

The only issue, a socket that size uses a 1” drive. I don’t own anything that big, but I did happen to own a 1/2” to 3/4” and 3/4” to 1“ adapters. Then my puny 1/2” breaker bar applied enough torque to loosen it. Taking this nut off future tanks should be simple now.

ag4ever

Average Nut
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I thought I was making good progress on adapting the 15 gallon sending unit to the 20 gallon tank, until I dropped it in the tank.

843D2447-D51C-4FAF-9205-892D47AB6E3F.jpeg
Outlet fouls the tank. I will need to bend the outlet up at a 20 +/- degree angle to clear the tank.

V3X8Te

Basic User
City
Yorktown
State
Vi
I bent the sender up on my sniper conversion, but if i were to do it again I would cut and extend the bend upward. even after bending it will hit the plastic lock nut,

V3X8Te

Basic User
City
Yorktown
State
Vi
The 15 from holley has the return in the side of the tank, so I also had to drill a return into the sender

ag4ever

Average Nut
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
The 15 from holley has the return in the side of the tank, so I also had to drill a return into the sender
The sending unit / fuel pump is a returnless setup, the pressure regulator is in the tank and no return line is required.

ag4ever

Average Nut
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Tweaked the outlet up a bit. One good thing about the Holley unit, it points towards the left. For some reason, the fuel line is on the right rail, but the fuel line connection is on the left rail near the tank.

51C59E46-D83F-4E8E-BF3B-41AEE36F052E.jpeg
2A65DF60-D891-458D-B7F3-CB595740DE9A.jpeg

One negative, my socket won’t fit over the nut with this outlet location.

Next step, verify that my modifications to the sending unit allow for better fuel level measurement.

ag4ever

Average Nut
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I bent the sender up on my sniper conversion, but if i were to do it again I would cut and extend the bend upward. even after bending it will hit the plastic lock nut,
I was lucky, there is just a little gap, not much but enough, and getting the sending unit seated is a fiddly process. The anti rotation tabs kept wanting to bend outward and catch on the sealing o-ring. There are a lot of modifications I would want to make if this was a clean sheet of paper design for the 20 gallon tank.