• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

I went to Adak to go hunting for a week over New Year's...

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
AK - what happens to the heads? Were you just removing them to take the hide off, or is something being done with them? I work on CWD down here in Colorado, so we see lots of heads.

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
south central
State
AK
We took them off so we'd have less weight to drag back to the truck!

walkerhoundvm

Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Don't they teach you the quartering method up there? ;) No need to go into the body cavity or touch the head, except for the tenderloins and backstraps. Maybe I'm just being wasteful and leaving a lot of rib meat, but I wouldn't do it any other way after learning that I could just quarter 'em :)

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
south central
State
AK
Don't they teach you the quartering method up there? ;) No need to go into the body cavity or touch the head, except for the tenderloins and backstraps. Maybe I'm just being wasteful and leaving a lot of rib meat, but I wouldn't do it any other way after learning that I could just quarter 'em :)

AS 16.30.010. Wanton Waste of Big Game Animals and Wild Fowl.
(a) It is a class A misdemeanor for a person who kills a big game animal or a species of wild fowl to fail intentionally, knowingly, recklessly, or with criminal negligence to salvage for human consumption the edible meat of the animal or fowl.

We take our fish and game laws here very seriously. Since we were close-ish to the truck, we only gutted and headed in the field, leaving the skins on as we drug them across snow, grass, partially-frozen muskeg, and a creek. Even with the gut-sack removed and heads cut off, they were still heavy. We brought them all back to the garage to get skinned and quartered, hung the legs, scraped the carcasses, and chopped meat from the legs.

Since we still had to get everything back on Alaska Airlines, weight was a concern.

walkerhoundvm

Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
I hear you; Colorado is just as strict (see Samson's law and the recent brou ha ha in Boulder over the neighborhood elk), but CDOW only considers quarters, backstraps and tenderloins as edible meat. Anything else you can haul out is a bonus.

Off-topic, but thanks for sharing and congrats. I'd love to get up there to hunt caribou someday.

kimsanva

Rocket Scientist
Lifetime Member
City
Greenbackville
State
VA
No love for the Adak National Forest?:
adak_national_forest_1988_550.jpg

Looks almost unchanged from the pic I took in 81-82...but you got a model to pose :) Loving the rest of the pics as well. Did the matchstick (wooden trestle) bridge still exist? An I'm pretty sure I have a couple pics of the White Alice dishes. Definitely got some great sunset pics just west of them. Thanks for the memories!

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
south central
State
AK
Looks almost unchanged from the pic I took in 81-82...but you got a model to pose :) Loving the rest of the pics as well. Did the matchstick (wooden trestle) bridge still exist? An I'm pretty sure I have a couple pics of the White Alice dishes. Definitely got some great sunset pics just west of them. Thanks for the memories!

This isn't my pic. (We drove by it, but the wind was howling and rain was coming down, so we didn't get out.) This was something I found on Google images, dated 1988. That being said, it didn't look much different two weeks ago.

The bridge is at least still on the map, but it was marked as "closed." We drove over to the NSGA area and I made the right to head to the bridge, but at the top of the hill (sand-dune area), the road obviously changed in character to an ATV trail. If there wasn't snow on the ground and I was in one of the Jeeps, I wouldn't have had an issue driving on, but given that I was in a rental Chevy 2500, I didn't push it.

The White Alice infrastructure was all pulled out by 1987.

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
I would love to have those mailboxes in the post office. They would make a great bolt and small parts bend.