• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

It LIVES!!! The FABLED 8 Build Thread

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLED 8
Lifetime Member
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
It LIVES!!! The Fabled 8 Build Thread

After almost exactly a year, my Scrambler was brought back to life this morning... (oooh... that gives me chills just thinking about it!)

The Jeep is far from done, but the major work has been completed. The new fiberglass body is on... the lift is complete, the power steering has been installed... the list goes on and on. All that really remains at this point besides a few minor electrical/lighting issues is to get my ring and pinion changed and my lockers installed.

I'm sure many of you know what an awesome feeling it is to hear that engine roar to life after so long... I just wanted to share my joy with those that I knew would understand. :D

Knock back a few cold ones for me in celebration... I'm sure I will tonight.

Kyle

Modifications added since original build: (write ups and pictures to come)
Family cage
Split fold and tumble rear seat
YJ power brake booster
Scout Dana 44 rear axle with Detroit locker
Hi lift jack mount on family cage
Howell EFI
Full Bestop soft top
On board air compressor and tank
Warn X8000i winch

Last edited:

fisherman

Whew, was that you?
City
brunswick
State
md
You go boy!
I will not know that feelling for a long while. Mine has just found it's new home in the shed(garage)I built just for her complete with a pit like jiffy lube. This is after my wife and four of my seven kids pushed it about 60 yrds (with a flat tire yet)across the yard to the shed while I was at work to surprize me. You must have done a lotta work since I was there in Jan. Good to hear things are going well.
What kinda motor you have in it? How big are your tires?I look forward to seeing completely done(does that ever happen :confused: )

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLED 8
Lifetime Member
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
Chris,

I've stuck with the stock drivetrain for now. I figure it should live for a bit with only 49K on it. I will be replacing the axles in a couple of years once I am done with my degree and have a little more income. Other than that I'll probably keep the engine/tranny stock. That of course depends on how well everything holds up and if I decided that I need deeper gearing, even w/ my 4:1 t-case.

Right now it is still sitting on 31s. I have 35s waiting for me out in AZ though, along with my rock sliders and the gears. I'm just ecstatic to have it driveable! I'll get some pictures of it up later this summer after I get the half doors and rollbar painted and the 35s on. She's not quite presentable yet :)

Sounds like you have quite the setup going to work on your 8... I can't wait to see it when its done!

Kyle

fisherman

Whew, was that you?
City
brunswick
State
md
Kyle,
I think my game plan for the rebuild has changed a bit. My wife has encouraged me not to "just make do" but to take T-I-M-E and do things right so instead of using the springs someone gave me I'm going to get new ones so I figure I'll just have to spend alittle more and get taller ones. I was one your homepage and see you have a 4" lift and you siad you have 31" tires on it now. Do you have any body lift on it? I'm looking at getting 33's would a 4" lift do it for me you think? Man the thought of my wife telling me to spend more money is almost making me dizzy :D I better sit down. You take care and my daughter says to say hi to your mom and dad!

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLED 8
Lifetime Member
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
Chris,

You'll be fine w/ a 4 inch lift and 33s. I just have the 31s on it to roll it around on. I have 35s waiting to be bolted on, that's why I went w/ the 4 inch lift, 1 inch body lift and the TJ flares.

Glad your wife is being so supportive of your project... I'm sure it helps. I'll let my parents know...

Kyle

mulescj8

INSANE SCRAMBLER HACK
Lifetime Member
City
Middle of No Where and Too Far From Any Where
State
Tn
I know the feeling( IT'S ALIVE in the engine topics)mine finally started after being dead since november of last year.-CONGRATS AND I TWO KNOCKED A FEW COLD ONES DOWN TO CELEBRATE-JC:p

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLED 8
Lifetime Member
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
Here are some pics for those that are interested. She's all loaded up and ready to be shipped out to AZ on Monday. I can't wait to get it out there and finish it up so I can hit the trails this fall.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Kyle

fisherman

Whew, was that you?
City
brunswick
State
md
Looks Good

Kyle,
Very nicely done! That is a way cool color, What's it called? Well it looks like you should enjoy yourself in Ariz. but will haveing there affect your GPA?:p Howare you getting it down there?
Take care!

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLED 8
Lifetime Member
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
The color (minus the doors/dash and rollbar which still need to be painted) is a 2001 Ford truck color. It is Arizona Beige Metallic. I thought it was appropriate. One of the big things is that I was looking for something that wouldn't always *look* dirty. My truck, being dark green shows dust almost as bad as a black truck does.

My parents are moving this summer... Monday is actually when we're loading. It is going down in the back of the moving truck. :) Much cheaper than me paying to have it shipped myself. I think its even going to work out cheaper than me driving it or towing it down! Can't beat that.

Kyle

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLED 8
Lifetime Member
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
It's been quite awhile since I've updated the build thread, so there are lots of mods to update on.

For now I'll add the Waggoneer Dana 44 front axle swap with an Eaton E - Locker. The axle is in and I just finished wiring it up yesterday. I still need to flex it out to measure for the shocks and driveshaft and I'll probably revisit the drag link. The shop I had do the welding cut and sleeved it to give me full turning radius, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with it.

Attachments

• 20180221_161001.jpg
    20180221_161001.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 250
  • 20180221_163243.jpg
    20180221_163243.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 257
  • 20180303_144452.jpg
    20180303_144452.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 257
  • 20180310_174109.jpg
    20180310_174109.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 255
  • 20180310_174129.jpg
    20180310_174129.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 248

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
Only 16 years since the last update!l :)

How much work was installing the waggy front axle? That should be a great setup with the elocker.

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLED 8
Lifetime Member
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
Well, there was a wedding and 2 kids on the mod list in the last 16 years too. I managed to hold onto the Scrambler that whole time even if it hasn't seen much love since.

The Waggy axle required outboarding the front springs. I used a kit from Dave's Customs. It is spring over to match the rear with Rubicon Express 1.5 inch lift springs designed for spring overs (RE 1444/1445).

It still needs new shocks and a driveshaft. The transmission cross-member looks like it is going to interfere with the driveshaft, so will need to be modified or replaced.

I'm contemplating clocking the transfer case and putting in a flatter cross- member while I'm at it.

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
I didn't mean that in a negative way. I think its great you've had it for that long! Crazy to think of how many things have changed in the time I've had mine. I've also had it less than half the time you've had yours.

On the front axle, it looks like you are running 5 on 5.5. How did you convert from 6 on 5.5?

Are you running the stock wide track AMC 20 in the rear still? Locker of any sort?

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLED 8
Lifetime Member
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
I didn't take it negatively at all. No worries.

The rear is a Scout 44 with a Detroit that I replaced somewhere around 10 years ago when I broke my AMC 20.

The conversion to 5 on 5.5 involves using Chevy small bearing spindles and Ford rotors/hubs. I retained the Waggy drive flanges for now, but it can also be converted to manual hubs.

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLED 8
Lifetime Member
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
Latest on mod list... clocked the transfer case and put in a new front driveshaft. While I've got the t-case crossmember off I'm replacing the rubber fuel lines since they are so easy to access.

Attachments

• 20180405_175603.jpg
    20180405_175603.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 195
  • 20180331_183659.jpg
    20180331_183659.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 197

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLED 8
Lifetime Member
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
Next up... beadlocks! Happy Birthday to me.

I was in the driveway when the Fedex guy showed up. You should have seen my face when he tried to hand me a box from Blue Apron instead of the wheels he was supposed to be delivering to me.

Attachments

• 20180420_164625.jpg
    20180420_164625.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 148

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLED 8
Lifetime Member
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
120 bolts later and it's time for this guy and his 3 friends.

Attachments

• 20180425_191350.jpg
    20180425_191350.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 124