• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Jamboree #180

b2esq

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Glen Allen
State
VA
Wow, you aren't kidding. That thing is beatiful! Congrats!!

HAARubicon

Basic User
City
Tyler
State
Tx
Thanks guys, it is amazing to me that they are the same but completely different. Really cool platform that carried across from 4 door luxury suvs, 2 door wide track offroaders, fleetside pick ups, stepside pick ups and all kinds of variations of them. Probably my favorite automobile design that lasted 29 years of production.

HAARubicon

Basic User
City
Tyler
State
Tx
I have replaced a few small items in my quest to take care of the little things.

Replaced the well worn shifter knob with an NOS replacement. Since it is basically brand new I had to sand and polish the TCase shifter emblem so it didn't look as bad. Also, my horn button was missing the center emblem, so a new correct OEM horn button. My center console was very cracked up, so a better one of it was also installed.

20160725_184555.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DeLuke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Dallas
State
TX
Nice upgrades! Looking good, HAARubicon. Need to see 180 in person sometime.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Questions!

What process and materials did you use on the shift knob inserts? That Tcase insert looks good!

Where did you get the replacement emblem for the horn button. A guy on IFSJA was supposedly going to make them but I never could nail down a positive or negative on whether he actually did them.

HAARubicon

Basic User
City
Tyler
State
Tx
Questions!

What process and materials did you use on the shift knob inserts? That Tcase insert looks good!

Where did you get the replacement emblem for the horn button. A guy on IFSJA was supposedly going to make them but I never could nail down a positive or negative on whether he actually did them.

I wish I could offer up more of an answer other than dumb luck. I was fortunate to find an NOS Shift knob and insert for the T5. My old one had lost the clear plastic shell over the numbers and was spinning. It was important to me on this jeep that it be NOS and not the Crown aftermarket piece. Once it was on, however, the T-case knob looked terrible. For that one, I carefully removed the insert, wet sanded it smooth and polished it with a mild polishing compound. It looks much better, but obviously not new.

The horn button is an entire original replacement that had the symbol in it. My original was missing the emblem. I did for time, before I got this one, use a little insert that I created on my computer. I recreated the symbol, printed it on glossy paper. I then stuck it in the cap and covered it with some clear plastic I cut from a round push pin container. It looked good until I was able to find this piece. I still have the image I created if you want to do that as a temporary fix. I did not recreate the correct symbol, I think the one I made is for the Laredo horn button.

Attached is the image I created on my computer. This one has the single line surround, and I have one with double line surround. Like I said, it was temporary fix till I could find an original replacement.

Hope this helps

forum
[/URL][/IMG]

HAARubicon

Basic User
City
Tyler
State
Tx
Sunday morning I cleaned the jeep up for a Sunday drive. When I came out the sun was hitting it just right. Topaz Gold is a great color.

forum
[/URL][/IMG]

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
I wish I could offer up more of an answer other than dumb luck. I was fortunate to find an NOS Shift knob and insert for the T5. My old one had lost the clear plastic shell over the numbers and was spinning. It was important to me on this jeep that it be NOS and not the Crown aftermarket piece. Once it was on, however, the T-case knob looked terrible. For that one, I carefully removed the insert, wet sanded it smooth and polished it with a mild polishing compound. It looks much better, but obviously not new.

The horn button is an entire original replacement that had the symbol in it. My original was missing the emblem. I did for time, before I got this one, use a little insert that I created on my computer. I recreated the symbol, printed it on glossy paper. I then stuck it in the cap and covered it with some clear plastic I cut from a round push pin container. It looked good until I was able to find this piece. I still have the image I created if you want to do that as a temporary fix. I did not recreate the correct symbol, I think the one I made is for the Laredo horn button.

Attached is the image I created on my computer. This one has the single line surround, and I have one with double line surround. Like I said, it was temporary fix till I could find an original replacement.

Hope this helps

HornLogo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Well I'm horrible at that sort of thing, but maybe I can find one of our IT people who could get it printed out for me.

Looks like if one could get the emblem correct and have the domes made you could sell a few of them.

Thanks for the pic! The Jamboree is a beaut!

Jambo#401

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
Okeechobee
State
Fl
Sunday morning I cleaned the jeep up for a Sunday drive. When I came out the sun was hitting it just right. Topaz Gold is a great color.

20160731_082748.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Great looking Jambo.. Is that the original paint job? Mine has been repainted with base coat/clear coat. It looks lighter (see my profile pic) than your and other pictures I have seen online.

Jambo#401

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
Okeechobee
State
Fl
Great looking Jambo.. Is that the original paint job? Mine has been repainted with base coat/clear coat. It looks lighter (see my profile pic) than your and other pictures I have seen online.

Well, I went back and started from the beginning of the thread and I see that you did a repaint. I purchased jumbo with the new paint job. I will have to do some research on the paint. From what I have found out so far is that back in the early 80's a single stage paint was used. I have not confirmed that yet. I have a good friend in the auto paint biz and will inquire.

HAARubicon

Basic User
City
Tyler
State
Tx
Well, I went back and started from the beginning of the thread and I see that you did a repaint. I purchased jumbo with the new paint job. I will have to do some research on the paint. From what I have found out so far is that back in the early 80's a single stage paint was used. I have not confirmed that yet. I have a good friend in the auto paint biz and will inquire.

The original paint was single stage. if you recall back in this thread I was not happy with the match so I spoke with my paint supply company about it. Basically, there are so many factors that effect an accurate reproduction, that unless you want to spray out multiple test color panels and do side by side comparisons to the original, it is nearly impossible to get a perfect match, especially with metallic. Then you throw in single stage vs. base clear, the brand and quality of paint, the brand a quality of the clear, the humidity the day it was sprayed, the amount and color of the metallic flake used and so on.

I will say, that with all that, I am happy with the color, not necessarily the match.

Here are two side by side photos taken in the same light, with the same camera at around the same time of the year. The first picture is absolutely its original paint that it left Toledo with in March of 82.

JamboSide.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20151115_155036.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And this one later, after it had cured longer. I did darken a little over time as the metallic settled in and flattened out.

2592314d1451166093t-another-1982-jamboree-20151226_154008.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

jambo152

Jamboree #0152
Lifetime Member
City
Austin
State
TX
The position of the sun / lighting makes a big difference. Even the stock photos of Jambos that we have (www.82jambo.com) look different and not always quite correct. For example, the Jambo on the sales brochure looks too cooper in my opinion. I think the natural difference that you get from lighting conditions with metallic paints probably swamps the differences in paint formulas from 1982 to today. Just look at post above that kicked this off compared to the new pics.

easttex

Basic User
City
gilmer
State
tx
HAARubicon,
I enjoyed reading your thread on your Jamboree. One day I will upgrade to one. Right now I have a few project CJ-7 's that I am fooling around with. I need to replace some floors on one but I am having a hard time finding someone who will do it. Seems most people/shops are only interested in insurance claims. I also live in Tyler, do you have any good contacts?
Thanks,
Stephen

HAARubicon

Basic User
City
Tyler
State
Tx
HAARubicon,
I enjoyed reading your thread on your Jamboree. One day I will upgrade to one. Right now I have a few project CJ-7 's that I am fooling around with. I need to replace some floors on one but I am having a hard time finding someone who will do it. Seems most people/shops are only interested in insurance claims. I also live in Tyler, do you have any good contacts?
Thanks,
Stephen

Thanks Stephen, there are a few of us forum folks here in Tyler.

I used Stones Auto Works to do the rust repair on my wagoneer. They are located on Hwy 155 about 3/4 of a mile south of the loop on West way street.

They did a good job.

It is getting harder to find good body shops to do this kind of work, insurance work pays to good.