Scrambled in the Head
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Westport
State
MA
Craig,

Looks great. Really like how it has turned out. What are you going to do about the lower door hinge bracket holes?

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I have a short list of things to do to it still and one is to finish those hinges and install them.
Tach doesn't work either, nor do the windshield wipers... electrical needs to be buttoned up under the dash.
I was out of gas essentially in it and wanted fresh stuff in there, so I took it for a ride... lots and lots of looks and thumbs up.

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Had a great ride with the UK Jeep last night to the gas station and to a meeting I had to go to, but then realized with the new glass in there, I didn't have an inspection sticker, so I cut it short and went back and grabbed the silver Jeep.

2 things... pulled up to a very nice 67 Firebird convertible... he was revving the engine over and over... I was making a right and he was going straight, but when it turned green, gave a little gas an left a small strip... I could see him shaking his head in the rear view. I knew it had the ability to roast the tires, I just never did it in the old configuration because I was afraid the body would fall off the frame.

All in all things were good... but...

1) It stunk... badly. The combination of exhaust and warming the paint underneath and some brake fluid leaking onto the header from the M/C really made for a less than enjoyable experience.
2) Brake fluid sucks... small patch of paint on the inner fender bubbled up due to the dripping. I guess I over filled it and the cap is not as tight as it should have been.

The best... me smiling the whole time.

I saw a lot of Jeeps and got a lot of waves... even a CJ7 was on the road... I never ever see CJ's up here.
To cap it off, I saw another CJ (in a garage)... so it was a fun afternoon.

I hope to get the sticker in the next couple days and do the wiring and get that out of the way.

cb

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
Very Nice but no comparison to original. LMAO. Payback time CB, You know I'm just yanking your chain. :)

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Wipers functional and hold down secure properly Dave the Sparky this picture shows "proper" position returns to there everytime

cb
Sent from the garage

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Drove the Jeep 20-25 miles last night and all went well... everything is sorted out now minus the tachometer not working and the temperature gauge not registering correctly.

My guess on the temp gauge is that it is a 360 engine with a sender in it sending to an aftermarket temperature gauge and they resistances are not lining up.
I had another stock speedo and hooked up the power and temp sender and it just steadily climbed until it was going to peg out.
I have a laser temp finder and shot the block, radiator, etc. and it was all under 200... not even warmed up yet and the gauge was going to spike out to the top, so I definitely think something is flaky with the resistances, and the fact that the 360 never came in a CJ and the aftermarket gauge.

My next step is to install a mechanical one (with degrees) and mount it under the dash for piece of mind so I can go on longer trips and see the actual water termperature vs. relying on the so-so setup that was in there.
When I ripped it apart, it did have a mechanical gauge in it, but the tubing was creased in places and I didn't give that too much credit either, so I tossed it.

So, the tach itself was working and now it is not.
I didn't have an oscilliscope out there, but the tach signal lead was showing voltage and if you revved the engine, it changed values, so I know something is coming from the tach signal on the HEI.
I am not sure what has changed.

My thoughts, either the selector switch went from 8 cyl to 6 or 4 (aftermarket tach apparently), or somehow it was damaged during the teardown process/storage for a year.
I have power to it and can light it up with the illumination, so I know the power, ground and illumination all work, it is just the green lead for the tach signal that doesn't do anything.
I might have another tach (aftermarket) that I can try, or I have a couple stock ones, however, if I read this correctly, they are wired differently as there are 2 leads on the stock one vs. the aftermarket one (wired in series vs. not?)

cb

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
Yes original is in series. Big red red wire in dash. The aftermarket is run off the tach terminal on your hei.

Sent from my SM-N910P

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
Also if its a hei they might have put a relay on the power wire from the battery and that red wire was disconnect when they did the conversion.

Sent from my SM-N910P

Jambo#401

Scrambler Enthusiast
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Okeechobee
State
Fl
Not sure if this is where this belongs, but I guess it is a limited production CJ7 and it is a RHD, so it is an oddball for sure.

I have been tinkering when I have time and finally got to drive it a bit yesterday. I need to get the body work done so it will pass inspection, but all in all, for the most part, it is coming along.

View attachment 35963

It has new sneakers, some 15x7 Chromes I had and mostly tuned up everything... carb is being tricky with me, but all in all, nothing that can't be fixed. New oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel regulator, fuel filter, tires, rims, new rear seat, installed the bikini top, new dash pad, and a lot of other odds and ends cleaning it up and it is starting to become certifiable ;)

cb
What size tires are those? I assume there is no lift on it? I am wanting to go up in tire size some but don't want to do a lift kit.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Depending on which picture you are looking at, the rims are either 15x7 or 15x8 and the tires have always been 31x10.5x15 and to my knowledge those are stock springs, but I did put in new shackles/bushings since I had it.

cb

Jambo#401

Scrambler Enthusiast
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Okeechobee
State
Fl
I was referring to the 1st picture with the chrome rims. I was thinking of 31/10.5.. I just want to fill the wheel wells some

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
2) Brake fluid sucks... small patch of paint on the inner fender bubbled up due to the dripping. I guess I over filled it and the cap is not as tight as it should have been.
So tell me why, if we can go into space, nearly figure out wimmin, milk cows and build those nasty Hellcats, can't we make brake fluid that DOESN'T eat paint?

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Amen brother!
This is the 2nd Jeep I have done this to and it sucks.
This time around the cap was just too full of gunk to seal properly.
it seems alright now, but it is a real bummer I messed up the lower part of the fender.

cb

cdvcj8

It's Not My Scrambler
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
West Friendship
State
MD
One of biggest fears for WHEN I have a sweet paint job like this. I've considered painting that area with something else as I know I will do this sooner or later.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
So, I have been cleaning and experimenting with some different blue coloring.
The OEM one is in the middle, the bottom right is one I did a while ago around this time with the RHD... the top 2 and bottom left are with a new paint pen that is more chrysler blue, not so much AMC, but it seems to be closer to the OEM one... what do you think?

20180508_185123_resized_a.jpg

cb

CJ7Pilot

LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
I personally like the darker blue better, but I agree that the lighter blue looks closer to original.

That said, they all look great! :thumbsup: