• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Jeep CK-8 Build

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
I used the bulkhead for the a/c, don't have that part set up till the cj8 switch. I used their bulkhead for the heater hoses that are separate holes (do not recommend that style, not well made). Couldn't find a spot to put 4 way bulkhead with where battery tray (and brackets) is located. On cj8 I'll make sure they are the good bulkheads. Much easier to connect hoses.

Shark Bait

CJ-8 Member
City
Charleston
State
WV
Bulkhead seems to be the best way to go for sure. I was going to do the 4-way one. My battery/batteries may end up remote mounted somewhere else other than the firewall anyway. I take a lot of pictures too. I need to get more posted sometime.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Bulkhead seems to be the best way to go for sure. I was going to do the 4-way one. My battery/batteries may end up remote mounted somewhere else other than the firewall anyway. I take a lot of pictures too. I need to get more posted sometime.

:headbang:

Shark Bait

CJ-8 Member
City
Charleston
State
WV
Well, everyone loves getting new parts. The weather was a little nicer today and I wanted out of the house so I ran down to the shop to see if the Magnum would fit.image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg
Having a flat and empty firewall helps a lot I would image.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
It fits. I believe I left enough space for hoses to bend to a bulkhead.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
You're going to have a very tight bend. May need to do it with 90 deg fittings. How much room do you have behind the unit to push it up against the firewall (where the unit sits against the firewall over the hump)? Reason I ask is it's already siting where the dash would be. Most dash's have a lip on the bottom (around 3/4"). Dash won't fit. Also anything mounted in the dash (gauges) will take away from it also. Am I missing something? I hope I'm missing something.

jbeemer

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Conklin
State
MI
You're going to have a very tight bend. May need to do it with 90 deg fittings. How much room do you have behind the unit to push it up against the firewall (where the unit sits against the firewall over the hump)? Reason I ask is it's already siting where the dash would be. Most dash's have a lip on the bottom (around 3/4"). Dash won't fit. Also anything mounted in the dash (gauges) will take away from it also. Am I missing something? I hope I'm missing something.

Look at the 5th picture in post 86. I think it is sitting in front of the dash.........not by a lot, but some. :fingerscrossed:

Looking good. should perform awesome if you get it all ducted nice. :headbang:

Shark Bait

CJ-8 Member
City
Charleston
State
WV
Yeah, I checked the dash clearance, it's about 2 1/2". I did so much measuring I can't remember exactly. I'll measure it again tomorrow and let you guys know. The Dakota Digtal gauge is pretty shallow and won't be mounted like the traditional CJ, I haven't finished the design on the dash and console but I made sure of the clearances even if I do. It looks to have a good bit of room for hoses, I'll get an assortment of fittings to try to not get anything kinked.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
That's excellent, I have (when all added up) only 2 1/4". 2 in at firewall and 1/4 - 3/8 inch space between bottom lip of dash and heater. Off your pics you may have 7-8 inches to make a turn with the one a/c line. The other one (back side) goes straight down. May be able to run down and toward pass side. Might be worth checking for a 90 deg fitting to connect into a bulk head. Just looked at the pics, is the straight edge across the tub (drivers side to pass side). If it is and you use a stock dash you'll have a 1" lip on the bottom which will reduce it by a inch. Still good room. Looking forward to seeing this (will probably want to kick myself in the a** is I could have used the larger unit:rolleyes:).

Shark Bait

CJ-8 Member
City
Charleston
State
WV
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
I hadn't updated my project for a while because I haven't done anything to it, for a while. Lol, that seems to be the way it goes. I did get my driveshafts made from a highly recommended local shop. I like em. I got image.jpegmy oil and transmission coolers, I believe they should do the job. I worked on my fuel tank (just over 29 gallons) some today, so, that is getting closer to going in. My back isn't what it used to be which makes it hard. That was my excuse to the wife for ordering a new lift, 14,000lb Bendpak, 4 post with rolling bridge jacks. I ordered the extended length lift to also fit my crew cab trucks. It should be here Tuesday but getting time to put it up may be a little wait. There's never enough time..........

Shark Bait

CJ-8 Member
City
Charleston
State
WV
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

The transmission cooler (large Griffin) and oil cooler (small Griffin) are going under the bed where the OEM fuel tank would go. I made a frame for them and a couple hinges and welded a piece of channel between the frame rails. It will fold down to access the lines and fan wiring. They will have a skid plate as well which I will also cover with a poly liner like used in chutes in some coal prep plants (if I remember, that is what it was for lol).

Last edited: