• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

JerseyJeeps Road Trippin' Thread

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Agreed. So rare to see a J truck on the road anymore let alone a sportside.

SKT

Legacy Registered User
City
APO
State
AE

I bet that M715 is a conversational starter anywhere it goes! How does it drive on the road? Thinking that drive line would make for a fun driver! Certainly is one of the best looking 715's I've seen.

Is that really a lifted white Subraru outback wagon in the first pic you posted?

Also good to see jp83's Scrambler out there. I'd seen his red fiberglass '8 sitting for a few years at a small used car lot in BFE PA. Was surprised When I first saw it on his 'build' thread here.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
.How does it drive on the road? Thinking that drive line would make for a fun driver! Certainly is one of the best looking 715's I've seen.

I can answer that (and when I drove it it wasn't even dialed in) it drives FREAKING AWESOME :bow: :woot: :drool:

I will have a J truck (hopefully a 715) with that drivetrain in it. Freaking perfect for that truck.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ

I bet that M715 is a conversational starter anywhere it goes! How does it drive on the road? Thinking that drive line would make for a fun driver! Certainly is one of the best looking 715's I've seen.

Is that really a lifted white Subraru outback wagon in the first pic you posted?

Also good to see jp83's Scrambler out there. I'd seen his red fiberglass '8 sitting for a few years at a small used car lot in BFE PA. Was surprised When I first saw it on his 'build' thread here.

Thanks, yeah it is actually very well mannered on the road. With 4 wheel disk brakes and power steering in addition to the 6BT, it's actually a great driver. The story on this truck goes way back to when I first saw it 3 years ago as an unfinished swap project which ill save for the upcoming RRR thread. But I truly couldn't be happier with it. I thought it would be cool to look at drive once in a while but I drive it ALOT. One clip in September I used it exclusively all over the place 13 days in a row getting near 20 mpg with aggressive driving working out a different bug each day. Then I took some things apart over a 2 week downtime did a whole bunch of stuff to it working more things out. Now it's back and next thing I gotta do is add heat. A FSJ heater won't fit because of firewall clearance issues with the 6BT so I am working on a CJ box swap. And then the list continues. It's loud and drafty and bouncy and you cant talk in it barely but that is the only complaint and its a small one !

Justin is such a young guy in this hobby at 16 i give him mad props for what he is doing and it was great talking with him at length. Way to go Justin :thumbsup:

Gotta ask where BFE is?? :)

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Oh and great eye on that pic !! Yes it sure was. I was too busy looking at the blonde to notice.

Import 4x4 class entry. Not a winner tho.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
It's loud and drafty and bouncy and you cant talk in it barely but that is the only complaint and its a small one !

You say that, but for the record I was expecting MUCH worse on the loud and bouncy. I was very surprised how manageable it was.

Having driven in NJ way more than I ever wanted, that thing is the perfect NJ vehicle :rotfl:

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
You say that, but for the record I was expecting MUCH worse on the loud and bouncy. I was very surprised how manageable it was.

Having driven in NJ way more than I ever wanted, that thing is the perfect NJ vehicle :rotfl:

Agree totally. It's relative, but yes way better than expected. It only gets real bouncy when I hit overpasses at 72 mph anyway ;)

JP83

Basic User
City
Hillsborough
State
NJ
Thanks for the words Eric, it was great talking to to you as well and seeing your m715 and scrambler they were by far the coolest two there.

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
Oh and great eye on that pic !! Yes it sure was. I was too busy looking at the blonde to notice.

hey that better of not been my gf!!!!! lol

great seeing you out there had a good time walking around and checking out your trucks ..

its was great weather and a live band that played good tunes.... parking wasn't bad at all compared to other shows...also free to walk in!! nothing like that in ny.

next year ill come out with you guys.... ill bring the beer. good times.. :)

SKT

Legacy Registered User
City
APO
State
AE
Thanks, yeah it is actually very well mannered on the road.

The story on this truck goes way back to when I first saw it 3 years ago as an unfinished swap project which ill save for the upcoming RRR thread.

Gotta ask where BFE is?? :)

Looking forward to seeing some close-up/detailed pics of the M715. I can only imagine what a fun daily driver it would be!

Didn't realize Justin was such a youngster. He's done a great job 'saving' this Scrambler. It looks really good in the pic you posted.

BFE stands for Bum &@#* Egypt, which in this case was Obisonia, PA. It is a one stop light town off of 522 (between Chambersburg and Raystown Lake). I'd seen this Scrambler sitting at a small used car lot (George's) for several years.

You can actually see the Scrambler sitting at the dealership on Google earth. Look up the small town of Obisonia, PA. Follow Rt 522 where it bends nearly 90 degrees. The red Scrambler is backed up to the white garage. It sat in that same spot for several years. Again Justin, great job on bringing this Scrambler back on the road!

Oh and great eye on that pic !!

Yes it sure was. I was too busy looking at the blonde to notice.

Import 4x4 class entry. Not a winner tho.

Yeah, I noticed those girls selected the best vehicle there to stand in front of...LOL!

I was looking at the other vehicles there, as OK 4wd has had some really nice resto-modded CJ's in the past. I recall a yellow CJ-7, a brown/root beer colored CJ-5 and a maroon CJ-7 with solid centerline wheels that were all mildly but tastefully built from them. At least they used to have the WS banner from the shop.

That Subraru is too much. I can hear it now. "Hey honey, I'm going to bring you station wagon into the shop to work on it." two weeks and an old box Chevy chassis on 44" Gumbo mudders later, out rolls this thing...LOL!

JP83

Basic User
City
Hillsborough
State
NJ
Thanks skt, i cant take credit for doing every little thing on the scrambler, but i was always involved, also now knowing what bfe means that is the best way to describe where this place was

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Thanks SKT got it. Just like EBF.

I actually know where you are talking about. Visited my dads buddies hunting camp in EBF alot as a kid, which is about a half an hour up the road from BFE.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Been a long time since I updated this thread but way back in August I had said I still have to add the Arkansas J-truck trip to it from 2012. So here goes

Like the scramblers in Texas trip, did some trading with a very awesome forum member for a lead on an old dealership that had some J trucks that were traded in back in the day. First though had to pick up the 63 J-300 dually in Arkansas that I had looked at on the way to Texas two months prior :

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391655467.759551.jpg

Same borrowed tow truck that went to Texas and this time forum member friend Scott R along for the ride. This was July 2012 a week before the pajeeps.org show.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391655663.871479.jpg

Then on to the dealership in Arkansas, which led to the purchase of these.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391655804.599203.jpg

Unexpectedly, in the final hour, a deal was made for both and some parts. So we took the dually off the bed, and decided the 1980 yellow truck was best one to drive and 1984 cinnamon one best one to keep on the bed. The dually with its 5.13 gears we certainly werent gonna make any time in that, so driveshaft popped, and on wheel lift in back it went.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391656303.724381.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391655945.007427.jpg

So then it was off to NJ. We did 24 hrs straight on way down and I recall about 36-38 on way back. Ran out of gas in Yellow once, and a few other things along the way like the dually half coming off the wheel lift but we got within 1/4 mile of my place when:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391656488.093483.jpg

Blew the radiator. So lucky in July that this happened so close to home. No engine damage and let her cool down alot got some water and it was home sweet home.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391656611.357251.jpg

I remember the feeling of getting home and what it felt like that day to pull it off to get home in one piece and to buy these other J trucks. When we left all we knew is that we could get the Dually because the Dually was paid for and that was the only firm plan. We also took down an international Harvester from a job I bid on uship and delivered that in Arkansas but I dont have a picture of that handy right now. That helped pay for gas so we weren't driving down empty.

This post is a little different than the other more recent posts in that I don't have a ton of this one in my memory - I know there was some funny stuff that happened along the way and the little towns and little stores that you see and the people that you meet and all that stuff that makes road tripping fun we had on this one just like the others. Huge thanks to Scott for coming along for this ride I couldn't have done it without him and here's to more road trips :cheers:

Last edited:

JeepScrambler

CJ-oholic
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Claflin
State
KS
I really like the dually, don't remember ever seeing one, especially that clean! I can't even imagine trying to take that thing at any sort of highway speeds with 5.13s! I'm thinking you just need to get a Peterbilt and transport trailer to haul your Jeeps across the country!

Sent via signal flare

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I'm thinking you just need to get a Peterbilt and transport trailer to haul your Jeeps across the country!

I am pretty sure that is in the works... like a tandem or a triple... a little hard to maneuver in Jersey, but once on the open roads of the midwest, he can collect up all the barn fresh and minty fresh ones he finds. I believe I saw some NETTS brochures the last time I was there ;)

NETTS (New England Tractor Training School)

cb

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
I'm sorry wm69. And promise the third time I am in AR I will stop by for that visit. BEFORE I then go take another jeep from your state. ;)

Here is a better pic of the dually about a year later after getting it cleaned up and also on loan for the www.jeeptruck.com guy's display last summer. It had a Chevy 350 swap sometime in the late 70s but all original elsewise with granny 4 speed and 4 wheel low. It's got the same 10 footer "resale" red paint job that the FC has so someday it'll get redone, too.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391790300.530061.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391790573.524782.jpg

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
I am pretty sure that is in the works... like a tandem or a triple... a little hard to maneuver in Jersey, but once on the open roads of the midwest, he can collect up all the barn fresh and minty fresh ones he finds. I believe I saw some NETTS brochures the last time I was there ;)

NETTS (New England Tractor Training School)

cb

Somewhat true, however I need to focus on getting my act together and finding or building a bigger shop. And for that I am gonna need to sell a few jeeps :eek: But yes once that dust settles I am going to build a crew cab J-20, with cummins diesel swap, and have a 3-4 car hot shot and super long enclosed trailer, which allows me to set up at jeep shows as well as vacation away from this dreadful winter climate. Target date for that setup: retirement age, the year 2039.