• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Loyal and True Restoration

Loyalpoke

Legacy Registered User
Lifetime Member
City
Stillwater
State
ok
As many of you have experienced it… I am very excited to be in this process! At last, after almost 35 years, this dream is coming true. She has been Loyal and True.

My goal is to have something that is fun to drive for 30 more years, take to the parades, tailgating and trips with my wife. I am so excited, and my bride of 30 yrs is as excited as I am about this restoration, even though she has been referring to the 8 as the other woman. I think she was heard saying “if the Jeep could cook and make love she would be out of business”.

Even though it has been through many mud holes, gotten me to some remote duck marshes and climbed many mountain trails, from here forward wheeling is not the point. I won’t want to scratch it or get it dirty. Every vehicle we have here on the farm is 4wd, it is necessity for us. So I don’t need the Jeep for 4WD.

I am describing the restoration intention as 90% factory fresh, but who knows. The last 10% would be more expensive that the rest of this project. Keeping it very close stock. I will change the color though, to a true Orange. Decals and lettering will be period correct as possible. I am rebuilding the carbed 258/I6. The T177 and Dana 300 are still in great original shape after 130K, so I will wait to rebuild them.

I have a friend that does restorations and is letting me be involved and work on it as much as I care to do. I have free run of his shop and tools. I have been helping tear it down, order parts, sandblast the small stuff and will try to do a lot of the sanding before it goes to the paint bay.

As of now tub is off, wet-blasted and primed. The engine is pulled apart and getting machined. This week we start cutting out rust. New Floor pans are from Classic and I have a Crown windshield frame. There are some small/repairable rusted places in the rear fender wells and under one side of the roll bar. There are also a few rust repair spots in the bed and under one door. It is really not bad for a Jeep.

IMG_3544.jpg

Here is where we are starting from....

Loyalpoke

Legacy Registered User
Lifetime Member
City
Stillwater
State
ok
You may want to trial fit before paint...
there have been issues with aftermarket frames.
FLCJ8, I know there have been issues with glass fitting and it may have to be trimmed. Are you talking about fitment to the tub?

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Check that the windshield wipers work correctly.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
FLCJ8, I know there have been issues with glass fitting and it may have to be trimmed. Are you talking about fitment to the tub?

I think he means overall width... last one I tried was narrow a bit and I ended up returning it and finding an original.
The last also the nuts in the frame all needed retapping as the threads were really not done well.

When we tried the glass, the new rubber gasket was too thick as well on the replacement one, so went with an original one.

cb

Loyalpoke

Legacy Registered User
Lifetime Member
City
Stillwater
State
ok
I thought I would post an update in case anyone was interested... You guys have been so helpful for many years, thanks!

We are mostly painted, waiting on doors, dash and fenders to come from the paint bay. The 258 is rebuilt, will try to start it first of the week after getting the dash and instruments all back in. As soon as paint is cured on doors and fenders (3 weeks) will put the OE style decals on. All hardware is black powdercoated black. Hard top will be dark gray to match decals.
IMG_0565.jpeg

Of course, my 'like new" Jeep will need a new house. It has lived in my barn with the farm equipment for most of its life. Just completing a 28x40 detached garage, pray for me!
Unknown.jpeg

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I thought I would post an update in case anyone was interested... You guys have been so helpful for many years, thanks!

We are mostly painted, waiting on doors, dash and fenders to come from the paint bay. The 258 is rebuilt, will try to start it first of the week after getting the dash and instruments all back in. As soon as paint is cured on doors and fenders (3 weeks) will put the OE style decals on. All hardware is black powdercoated black. Hard top will be dark gray to match decals.
View attachment 86299

Of course, my 'like new" Jeep will need a new house. It has lived in my barn with the farm equipment for most of its life. Just completing a 28x40 detached garage, pray for me!
View attachment 86298

I can't find it, but what color code is that? looks like Omaha Orange... like my CJ 5...

cb

Loyalpoke

Legacy Registered User
Lifetime Member
City
Stillwater
State
ok
Did the aftermarket windshield check out ok?

Jpnmaine, The after market windshield frame seems to fit and work fine, will put glass in it next week, that will be the test. I'll let you know. The new rubber gasket under it is really thick. It has couple of inches at the top before the frame pulls back to the doors. I'm going to ratchet strap and crank it down to the roll bar, set the screws that hold it and and let it set for a few days.

Loyalpoke

Legacy Registered User
Lifetime Member
City
Stillwater
State
ok
I can't find it, but what color code is that? looks like Omaha Orange... like my CJ 5...

cb
Certifiablejeep, the color is not a part of this restore that is factory or stock. It is the correct Orange for my Alma Mater Ok State Univ. I also am using their branding specs for the decals that will be grays and black.

I tried to find the most recent info about the Orange Jeep Club which you are #41. The latest info I saw was 8 yrs old.

mxracer919

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
SOA Member
City
miami
State
ok
Looking good, OSU alumni and fellow okie here! Was actually raised in Stillwater. That’s where my Jeep obsession began! Dad had a 1984 Cj7 Laredo that started it all for me!

Attachments

• A311A76E-BE94-4074-86CF-95D81098DFFC.jpeg
    A311A76E-BE94-4074-86CF-95D81098DFFC.jpeg
    37.7 KB · Views: 35

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
Looking good, OSU alumni and fellow okie here! Was actually raised in Stillwater. That’s where my Jeep obsession began! Dad had a 1984 Cj7 Laredo that started it all for me!
AWESOME picture. ? You can't beat those memories.

Loyalpoke

Legacy Registered User
Lifetime Member
City
Stillwater
State
ok
Thanks mxracer919. I know a few Wardogs, particularly the Voice of the Cowboys. That pic is such a treasure for you. When you are around let me know.

Loyalpoke

Legacy Registered User
Lifetime Member
City
Stillwater
State
ok
I have a few parts that I didn't take good pics of, don't remember what or where.

IMG_0654.jpeg
IMG_0679.jpeg