• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

LS covers are horrid - alternative idea

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
We got WAY off topic in my Postal build idea thread regarding how much I absolutely despise the look of an LS engine. Any of the stock covers (a couple are almost ok) or no cover, I just can't get past how unholy ugly they look.

Found this today on Facebook and while I'm not one for overly custom touches like the "Willys", even this sheet metal bent plate looks a ton better than most any other thing I've seen.

336753533_216286764403354_5231100198480120727_n.jpg

337014933_925310742078161_6224167623326325851_n.jpg

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
I've removed the cover from every car I've owned which came with them: TDI, Toyota diesel and V6 and Chevy. I do kind of like this though.....

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I've removed the cover from every car I've owned which came with them: TDI, Toyota diesel and V6 and Chevy. I do kind of like this though.....
I'd usually agree with removing the cover, but the LS looks like butt with it removed, too. (At least with the truck intake folks use in Jeeps.)

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
You know a motor is ugly when you have to cover it to keep people from seeing it. And while I like that Ford did not cover the motors in the Bronco and Ranger, man that is ugly too. I guess you can’t make a good looking motor with all of the needed wires and hoses anymore.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
While I agree modern engine are not great to look at, they look just as good as any classic engine when the hood is closed.

Form follows function type of guy I guess.

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
I ran a similar cover I found on E-bay. I am not a fan of most covers but the ugly truck intake had to be covered up.

Attachments

• 20220926_233404.jpg
    20220926_233404.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 50

GreatCJ8

Charter Member
Gold Member
City
Lynchburg
State
VA
I'm hesitant to Google ugly truck intake for fear of rabbit🐰 holes when I need to be getting ready for work 😂, pics plz

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I'm hesitant to Google ugly truck intake for fear of rabbit🐰 holes when I need to be getting ready for work 😂, pics plz
Just picture two huge anaconda snakes intertwined in the midsts of copulation (but without cool-looking scales) and you'll be pretty close.

GreatCJ8

Charter Member
Gold Member
City
Lynchburg
State
VA
Just picture two huge anaconda snakes intertwined in the midsts of copulation (but without cool-looking scales) and you'll be pretty close.
I'm mildly curious as Summers coming & in 50* weather I could fry an egg in many places 😂. Thinking about a bigger air cleaner, heat shields, braided lines, vents possibley and anything else to dissipate heat more efficiently. Hooking up my heater would be a nice start, for added circulation. As it stands inlet & return are joined.

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
Novak makes a decent looking LS cover