• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

LS swap radiators

CamJake

Basic User
City
Sandwich
State
Ma
What is everyone using for their LS swapped CJs? My current set up is a cheapie alum rad/stock fan setup from the previous owner. I have a big Griffin 31x19 with dual Derale fans, but it’s huge and will require liberal grill trimming. Plus it’ll sit just outside of the frame rail which might look kinda odd.
My 5.3 is stock so the Griffin setup might be overkill...
What’s everybody running?

Last edited:

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
I ran a universal Griffin for a while until it started to leak. Then switched to a flex-a-lite that was designed for a CJ. Check out the write up in JPFreek Magazine.

Ron84cj

Engine nerd
Lifetime Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
I'm running an aluminum radiator for a Jeep from radiatorexpress.com. It's for the 6 cylinder but I have had zero issues even with no fan shroud. I was stuck in stop and go traffic in Chicago when it was 95 degrees and the temp never rose. They do have a Chevy swap radiator but mine was only a year old so I stuck with it.

CHIEFWAHO

SOA VP
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
SOA Board Member
City
Thayer
State
KS
No personal use with this on our swaps but I've seen a few lately and our next swap will use the
Flex-a-lite 51068LS Aluminum Radiator for Jeep CJ with LS Engine Conversion

s-l1600.jpg

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Used an aluminum Northern brand CJ/Chev swap radiator. Its been years and there are better options out there now (see above), but the Northern unit has worked great so far.

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
Lifetime Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
My LS engine swap is basically stock. Do I really need an upgraded radiator like these? The Northern radiator looks like the cheapest option, but it's only a 2 row. Do I really need a 3 row? I also don't need a transmission cooler as I'm using an AX-15 manual transmission.

Ron84cj

Engine nerd
Lifetime Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
I have no idea if the stock radiator it is sufficient. Not sure I would trust that.

Last edited: