zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
Sounds like the perfect build to me. Budget? Where's the fun in that? It needs at least 300 horses.:)Believe me when I say the carpet and sound proofing will be well worth the trouble.
I'm still trying to figure out the center console for my PS90 rifle and I haven't taken the time yet to install my power windows, door locks and keyless entry.

Last edited:

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Dennis get you a Winchester and scabbard and mount it on the side of your jeep like Clint Eastwood in Coogan,s Bluff

Sent from my iPad

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
Sounds similar to my '82. Still just selling off what I don't ever plan to use before I start a build.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I have this feeling that this build really won't pick up speed until winter hits. There's just too many outdoor projects during summer. I've still got to re-roof the house, paint, build a shop, and install a couple of doors and a bathroom floor...

Anyways, I made a little progress. Pulled the front clip, and removed the 81 shorty shock mounts. The frame was already drilled for 82 towers (build date was 6/17/81). Didn't take much- the factory welds were crap. I still have to fill in some little divots.

Pics cause it happened.

P1090517.jpg

P1090519.jpg

Nice clean firewall!

P1090520.jpg

Anyone need some old shock brackets?

P1090521.jpg

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Seeing as this thread has been dormant for well over a year, I figured a current picture was in order. Red is currently the hit of the neighborhood, showing off as a Christmas display. Hurts that I'm not making progress, and that with all life has going on the J20 is going slow too. I keep thinking "next Summer". The shop should be built and I can get some stuff done!

IMG_6183.jpg

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Well, this is a long overdue update. I can’t believe that almost two years have gone by since I last posted in this thread. Three of my projects sold and now Red is sitting in the new shop! So it’s time for a project update. I have changed the powertrain plans a little bit. Seeing as I kept the 6.0 and 4L80E out of the J-20, I’ll be putting them in Red. A bit of overkill? Maybe... I’ll probably keep the 3.54 gearing, should be plenty with the 6.0 torque and 31” tires. Also kept the Vintage Air Compact 2, I’ll be using that too. Once I have something picture-worthy I’ll post it up! Hopefully soon!

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
First of a bunch of parts showed up this evening. A set of LS conversion motor mounts from Dave’s Customs Unlimited. If these fit as great as they look it’s going to be awesome!
(Just don’t tell Carol I had them sitting on the bedroom rug!)😁 076D2DA6-D9D3-425F-A35B-1DF428076CF4.jpeg

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Every bolt came out cleanly and easily. Some had been out before, others it was the first time. I did find some rust, not much really but I’ll post pics tomorrow.
The cardboard on the floor is actually from a roll of super heavy craft paper. Maybe a 32nd or thicker? Helped a friend move and he gave me a 100’ x 4’ roll plus a couple smaller ones. Comes in handy!