• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Meet Red, my 81 Restomod Build

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I really don’t like the American Shifter / Lokar style trans shifter. Just saying. My preference, it looks like a manual and that push button system is not conducive to slamming through the gears. I was looking for something more “muscular”.

I’m going to have a beer or two and look at those Winters shifters again.

-Edit, a little while later. Winters shifter ordered. ?

Last edited:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Ordering a shifter wasn’t all I accomplished. I got my parking brakes set up. Had to build new brackets- made them bolt on in case I needed to work on the fuel lines. The front line is from a FSJ, it’s 20” shorter than a Scrambler but otherwise the same. The rear lines are Explorer lines, I’ll post the part numbers. It all fell into place quit well.

Right rear at wheel.
9832A92E-DECA-4AAA-8970-C20DFD351781.jpeg
Right rear cable route.
C0B7A1F1-DE07-4F2D-85F1-479A1D0AE67C.jpeg
Left rear at wheel.
6A010ACF-01A8-45AD-A2A1-269954EA5DF8.jpeg
New bolt on rear bracket.
43CAD3F7-9589-4234-ACE5-8ACC115E121D.jpeg
New bolt on front bracket.
84CB336B-D7F4-4E13-8130-C980B7731A0D.jpeg
Part numbers
EC21D519-D982-4D24-A279-97831D1C6553.jpeg
A couple of shots with the equalizer installed.
97970501-CB10-4741-836D-D21738507598.jpeg0601E4B4-8DB3-4224-A44C-1F4F41A05518.jpeg
Equalizer part number. Genuine GM- from China!?
4DFB40B4-CFA8-41BA-8AD8-73E7EAEFEE16.jpeg

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Winters Sidewinder Shifter. I should have listened to y’all first time around. Made a temporary cable plate, remounted the arms and the cable so it comes out the front, and hooked it all up. Shifts like butter. And- this is installing the arm on the transmission pointing up instead of down. The Winters tech guy said it was for the older 4L80E and I would have to modify some things, but other than moving some bolt on parts I modified nothing. I am going to need to get a longer cable but that’s easy. So happy.
CB157B45-AE05-42B4-A317-33FE3BD04898.jpegCCC5B618-4456-4031-91E6-0D28CEE63AF1.jpeg

Last edited:

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
For gear jamming and off road I think those are pretty tough to beat. I love the Lokar for street driving. Off roading I would prefer something like that to know for sure what gear I am in.

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
For gear jamming and off road I think those are pretty tough to beat. I love the Lokar for street driving. Off roading I would prefer something like that to know for sure what gear I am in.

People always say that, but I don't believe it. Slam 'er into 1st, when she starts screaming bump it up, when she starts groaning bump it down. No need to look or "know" what gear you're in... Psh! *stirring pot emoji*

I think the Lokar looks the nicest in a mostly-street-rig. I do definitely prefer the Winters with a reverse manual valve body for hard core off roading though. Gotta delete the Rev to 1st gate for that rapid shimmy action. Anxious to see how you dock it on the console though Randyzzz. Keep up the great work!

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I have always liked a more industrial/heavy duty look. I could have done a ton of mods to the Lokar- a shorter and thicker shaft with a thumb-button or blade type grip- but I still would have a shifter that I personally feel has a more “delicate” feel and less than optimal gear selection detents. The Winters shifter is at the opposite end of the scale of the Lokar. But I like that.

My biggest complaint about the Ford shifter in Copper was when I manually downshifted to 1, I had the tendency to overshoot the 1-2 shift to 1-3 instead. Trust me- when you’re flooring a LS powered Scrambler, the last thing you have time for is finessing the manual upshifts. It takes full concentration just to keep it straight!

Yes, I’m going to get the detent plate that’s a straight shot from reverse to drive. A more unique knob too, and now I’ll have to change my transfer case shifter shaft to a hex rod. With a matching knob, of course. I may even attempt to copy the shifter gate plate. Who knows.

Console design is in my head, but seems a long ways off. My next steps will be to run the evap line inside the frame rail and then set the body on the frame. Raptor and Lizard Skin after that.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I’ll call Winters tomorrow about the gate plate. If they aren’t making them anymore, I’ll modify one to my liking.

In the meantime, I built a proper cable bracket
319D4E61-B3D0-4370-99B2-701411A14BDD.jpeg

I also put in some stiffeners for the rear crossmember. They are not Jeep OEM, but they sure were close. They were in a box of bumper brackets from years ago. Had to modify them a bit to clear the rear body mounts, and cut the inners short for the tank bracket.

3A444AE7-E0D6-4E8A-8352-FC0ECCE56A03.jpegEA1CD5DF-3D52-4350-8619-7955FAB61428.jpegDCC80116-1934-4C40-96B8-63C820774016.jpeg

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Put one in my cj7 to cj8 build. They make a mod that almost centers the shifter lever. Makes running through the gears faster, but holds the lever in what ever gear you have it in. I love the shifter, especially compared to the B&M shifter I had in it before.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Put one in my cj7 to cj8 build. They make a mod that almost centers the shifter lever. Makes running through the gears faster, but holds the lever in what ever gear you have it in. I love the shifter, especially compared to the B&M shifter I had in it before.

I saw that. They make a setup where with the centered stick you can bump
shift up and down electrically. Might look into that later...

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Original paint that still looks fairly good to nice is how I would put it for an old CJ. It can look pretty ruff to start out but with some work can turn out fairly good

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Original paint that still looks fairly good to nice is how I would put it for an old CJ. It can look pretty ruff to start out but with some work can turn out fairly good
Good reply. I have seen patina used to describe anything from slightly weathered paint to full on surface rusted panels that have been clear coated to preserve the finish.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
The 8’ cable for the Winters shifter arrived today. It’s going to work perfectly.

I have to run evap lines and fill the easily accessible fluids, and then I should be able to put the tub back on the frame by the weekend.

My painter let me know all the rest of the goodies have been painted. Getting close!88536D1B-AE4D-4C8E-A90E-A7459BFFFC7D.jpeg

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Big day for Red! I finally was satisfied with the progress point reached on the chassis, so I decided it was time to see if the tub still fit. Long story short- it does. I made a lot of modifications and did them all by measuring clearances, and everything went just like I had hoped. Using the two roll bar mounts I rigged up the extension arm on the engine hoist, and straight up she went. 3DAA4E89-1F11-4F3F-93CD-A787DE02C265.jpegOnce the tub was high enough, I carefully rolled the chassis underneath. 3B16ACF6-1E30-4ECB-8BB2-C2AB2DD5C65F.jpeg
I set the tub down, trimmed a slight bit by the transfer case shifter, and started measuring and adjusting until it all was square. 27AB26A5-806A-43C7-91B1-88B3BA71A305.jpeg
The engine was closer to the firewall on this install, but still plenty of clearance. The 4L80E transmission had plenty of room, as did the shifter components. I’m a bit concerned about hood clearance, but I think it will be close but OK. If not I’ll get a custom engine cover. 245E921D-D677-48F3-BE4B-8CEC91E6A33C.jpegB1CE294C-B643-46F1-AA18-DEB1056D846D.jpeg
So, now it’s time to start Raptor and Lizard Skin liners. Then electrical and cooling. It will be done before I know it! Ha,ha, ha.6186A73C-BCE1-4DCC-8E18-A933D6AC5847.jpeg
The painter let me know that all the rest of the parts will be ready Friday. Not too long now!!!

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Looking really nice. Glad to see you are not having to deal with those fires. My niece & nephew both had to evacuate their houses Tuesday evening in the Medford area. The fire burned right up to their fathers driveway in another fire east of Eagle Point.

brentox

City
Crestwood
State
KY
that's a beautiful thing...when it all fits!(y). I'm anxious to see how my NV4500 does when i set the body back on.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
The wildfires here (and all over the Western states) are something out of your worst nightmares. Whole towns wiped off the map. It’s one thing to see it on the news, but something totally different when you know places you have stayed at, eaten at, and enjoyed visiting are now gone. There are 2 confirmed fatalities so far in the Santiam fire, but I fear there will be more. And the poor pets/livestock that couldn’t escape.