• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Meet Red, my 81 Restomod Build

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Just looked a few more times...the two gauges with the vent below sorta remind me of Bender!?

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
After scuffing, sanding, priming bare areas, cleaning, wax removal, and a wipe down with acetone- the first coats of LizardSkin are on. This is the sound control, now I have to wait 24-36 hours for the thermal barrier.

3CE25993-94EC-4524-A710-9B3FE0053852.jpeg

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
And, if everything works out I’ve got a bit of “unobtanium” coming home with me tomorrow at some point. Stay tuned!

No, it’s not another Jeep. ?

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
After scuffing, sanding, priming bare areas, cleaning, wax removal, and a wipe down with acetone- the first coats of LizardSkin are on. This is the sound control, now I have to wait 24-36 hours for the thermal barrier.

Mater's slightly warmed-over 401 and large exhaust is going to have me doing sound deadening this basically-a-giant-steel-drum in short order, likely next spring. Going to be looking at any and all options, so curious on thoughts on this stuff.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Mater's slightly warmed-over 401 and large exhaust is going to have me doing sound deadening this basically-a-giant-steel-drum in short order, likely next spring. Going to be looking at any and all options, so curious on thoughts on this stuff.
I will let you know once I get it running!

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
And, if everything works out I’ve got a bit of “unobtanium” coming home with me tomorrow at some point. Stay tuned!

No, it’s not another Jeep. ?

I lied. Not intentionally- this came up late last night. Couldn’t let it by. 1980 CJ-5 with 94k miles. Not cut up, all stock except for bolt-ons. And an antenna in the Wrong place. DF37427B-8C08-44F0-9729-F70BB7E1F45E.jpeg620B3646-F72B-499A-8146-C8601514F037.jpeg49A2F55F-1F7C-4D0B-AC91-4203874B61AF.jpeg0F907C4D-573F-4365-B06A-250440130FA8.jpeg4983B14F-B99A-4740-9608-B99B58B95128.jpeg

Still waiting for the phone call on the unobtanium. But if I get them, they would be perfect on this Jeep.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Day 2 of LizardSkin. Today was the thermal control. This stuff is THICK! I opened the tub and thought it had dried out- but the mixer got it to the consistency of thick cake batter. Real thick. But it sprayed more consistently and gave a thicker coating. As far as usage- I got the two gallon kit- one of sound and one of thermal. I was barely able to get the minimum thickness recommended out of the sound control. On the thermal I put one coat on the complete interior, but the second coat I concentrated on the floor and firewall. Then used what’s left on the bulkhead and sides. I would have been happier with 1.5 gallons each- 2 would have left extra, but that’s ok too. I like the texture of the thermal control- I might spray the inside of my hardtop with that before paint. Here’s how it looks now- I’m going to top coat it with red to match the exterior. Or should I go with dark gray or black?

0CD5C7D2-F7DA-469C-B34F-130DA12AEB05.jpeg

Last edited:

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
I installed a layer of 1/4” hydraturf on my Sccrambler interior for sound and insulation.

Attachments

• C015CD13-5D52-452A-BEBA-366DB44C34A5.jpeg
    C015CD13-5D52-452A-BEBA-366DB44C34A5.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 25

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Once it’s not just the same paint as the exterior, I don’t see anything wrong with a contrasting color for the interior. I like the dark, so I’d be down with either grey or black.

wjtstudios

1985 CJ 8
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rochester
State
Mi
It’s been a while and just caught back up on your build. It’s going to be a beast!
I agree with Walton, grey or black for the interior would look great