• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Meet Red, my 81 Restomod Build

jpnmaine

City
East Wilton
State
ME
He has done a lot of custom gun colors for dad's who have daughters and are introducing them to the sport. It is a great idea for the torx..hope I remember when I finally get there.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
A little update in the LED dash lights. First observation- color can be deceiving. Second observation- blue sucks because as a primary color changing the shade is not easy.

What I thought was a perfect color for the dash lamps was too purple once they were all installed. Back to the drawing board. I’ve got a few ideas- I need a cooler color temp higher intensity white LED, or perhaps more than one LED per pod. I have a couple LED’s left over from another project- they are a cooler white and the color is perfect, they’re just not bright enough. The search continues.

Last edited:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Ok…more testing on colors. I found some light blue stencil material that is adhesive on one side. Here’s a couple pics- first is a standard LED the second a cool white LED. 39CC6AC9-AC62-48F2-82D2-AF47875704AA.jpeg555FA0CF-9450-4776-BE29-1486F3AEC72B.jpegI think I’m almost there.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Nighttime pics. And…the iPhone plays with colors IMHO. The gauges look a lot bluer to me in person, and the “lights” indicator looked a lot closer in color. 8A7E7C1A-B430-4155-81F5-667266354F2C.jpegLight blue with white backer, cool white LED

959E815F-201F-4573-A395-AD652F624191.jpegLight blue with white backer, daylight LED

04C309CA-30E7-40E7-9121-31CF04AD73B5.jpegLight blue only cool white LED

2BF213E0-B8C5-4B09-A986-D16EBA80B666.jpegLight blue only, daylight LED

4F6E2E6B-4756-4651-A2B7-8E253148DDEC.jpegTransparent blue doubled, cool white LED

1674AEE9-5292-455D-A1BE-D104405B6E41.jpegTransparent blue doubled, daylight LED

To my eye and also in person the second one looks the closest. That would be the same combo as the first picture in post 983.

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
I agree. First one too. Third one too dark, but fouth could work. Right-side- up also looks better...

jpnmaine

City
East Wilton
State
ME
Like #2 as well.....very anal of you Randyzzz. I know where your heart is though....all in the build.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I’m trying different LED combos as far as brightness and color temp. So far the best is 3 of the daylight LED’s per lamp. I let them run for 4 hours and no heat whatsoever. Have to double check when dark, but 3 daylight LED’s and the #2 color combo just might be winners.

I worked a bit more on wiring today. Ran the washer hose to the pass side along with the pump wiring and the heater valve wiring. Opened the firewall hole to 1”, and a 57 Chev 4 hole grommet works perfectly. The 4th hole is for a heavy gauge cable for the stereo amp. One of my pet peeves is exposed wire under the hood. I may redo the whole LS harness in the split loom braid. 81C0A1FF-C2AC-4831-80E6-C30914524A7D.jpegI also got the call that my hinge bolts were done. The Cerakote H-100 is a winner. It’s super durable and the color is perfect.936BF2A7-BB9E-472C-A44C-5D3AE38E8226.jpegSince the bolts were getting coated I had them do the side board bolts too. Came out great!9A28B0D9-BBB7-4F73-8141-3590F4CAFF85.jpeg

Last edited:

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
He hand-stiched it using felt from yearling yaks raised on organic milk and shorn by Himalayan virgins. He then died the wool using organic berries from the northern Cascades which he gathered himself.

But he won't admit this.

brentox

City
Crestwood
State
KY
He hand-stiched it using felt from yearling yaks raised on organic milk and shorn by Himalayan virgins. He then died the wool using organic berries from the northern Cascades which he gathered himself.

But he won't admit this.
:unsure:....whatever it takes!:LOL:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I got it from….where else. Amazon. The thin stuff is actually a sleeve that is not split. But I just ordered enough to redo the whole under hood harness in the red-black split stuff. It’s funny how it’s claim to fame is “Protect cat from chewing cords”.😆 I used the plain black split under the dash and it is surprisingly heat resistant. Rated -103 to 257 degrees, melts at 446 degrees. I tested it with my heat gun and was pleasantly surprised. The flame retardant convolute split loom maxes out at 275 degrees. So it’s not quite as good as the convolute but close enough in my opinion.

Alex Tech 25ft - 1/2 inch Cord Protector Wire Loom Tubing Cable Sleeve Split Sleeving For USB Cable Power Cord Audio Video Cable – Protect Cat From Chewing Cords - Blackred https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FW8VLGK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_TT4A24TWRZZ9NS7CBRN2

Last edited:

brentox

City
Crestwood
State
KY
I got it from….where else. Amazon. The thin stuff is actually a sleeve that is not split. But I just ordered enough to redo the whole under hood harness in the red-black split stuff. It’s funny how it’s claim to fame is “Protect cat from chewing cords”.😆 I used the plain black split under the dash and it is surprisingly heat resistant. Rated -103 to 257 degrees, melts at 446 degrees. I tested it with my heat gun and was pleasantly surprised. The flame retardant convolute split loom maxes out at 275 degrees. So it’s not quite as good as the convolute but close enough in my opinion.

Alex Tech 25ft - 1/2 inch Cord Protector Wire Loom Tubing Cable Sleeve Split Sleeving For USB Cable Power Cord Audio Video Cable – Protect Cat From Chewing Cords - Blackred https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FW8VLGK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_TT4A24TWRZZ9NS7CBRN2
thank you sir! finally getting around to wiring and want it to be right! and if any cats take refuge under the hood this winter I'll be totally protected!

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
thank you sir! finally getting around to wiring and want it to be right! and if any cats take refuge under the hood this winter I'll be totally protected!
Any time. You do need to wrap the ends with a high temp electrical tape or similar product after installing. I use the Polyken 264NFR. The split braid is not quite as easy to work with as the convolute but the look is worth it in my opinion. The ends start to fray if you mess with them too much. I tried to use a lighter but that was hit/miss.

brentox

City
Crestwood
State
KY
Any time. You do need to wrap the ends with a high temp electrical tape or similar product after installing. It’s not quite as easy to work with as the convolute but the look is worth it in my opinion. (The ends start to fray if you mess with them too much. I tried to use a lighter but that was hit/miss.)
thanks for the tech tip. wiring makes the build!