• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

My 2001 Cherokee “Bumblebee”

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I’m sure some of you remember, but I’m going to start from the beginning. In January 2019 my wife and I found a 2001 Solar Yellow Cherokee. It had 112,000 miles and was built in the last month, maybe even in the last couple weeks of production. We honestly bought it to flip- it was bone stock and almost perfect. But then we both fell in love with it. And Carol decided to name it “Bumblebee”. 251E477D-E50E-4274-B792-CC05D2F4D57D.jpegE3E350EB-1459-4140-8237-A5DED19E5AC6.jpegSo, it wasn’t long before I installed a 3” lift. Also some 31” tires and 8” wheels A157AF27-0729-409E-9236-2211DEAB3CBC.jpegAt that point we drove the heck out of it and came to love it more. It went wheeling many times, and brought home our 2020 Christmas tree.BEEDD625-6570-4D0C-9ED4-F2AE2D5C30CB.jpeg0A12E847-F8C1-4964-A9E6-2330824212D8.jpegC50FFDF3-7463-4CF4-A1C5-EA4EDEF001C7.jpeg5260FD9D-9F22-4462-A7B6-DE04C0A89837.jpegThis pretty much gets us current. So, seeing as the side and bumper plastics were in sad shape, I decided to replace them. Well, some aren’t available and some are only aftermarket. One thing led to another, and I made the decision that instead of buying aftermarket bumper trim, it was time for some cool bumpers. Here we go!2ECEE394-AC2E-4040-A8E9-60F49241F63D.jpeg4E2830C6-0359-484E-B41B-3CC33AED1884.jpegI installed a front bumper with a Quadratec 9000 winch, and a matching rear bumper. Pulled the side trim- plan is to spray with Raptor liner when I do the Scrambler front fender wells. I did trim the rear bumper corners and spray them with rattle can liner.

Next on the agenda was the sound system. I’ve never been satisfied with a single din system, so I bought a kit and installed an Alpine media system with Apple Car Play. And a backup camera too!7F2EA264-D2A6-437A-A093-01CFED87FCE3.jpegNext on the list is a subwoofer, but I need to let the wallet recover. I’ll update here when I get it installed. After that...maybe an 8.8 rear with discs, and a bit more lift.

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
Nice XJ, That's a rare color to see.

Daughter & I in process of doing similar build to her 01 XJ.

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
Need an old "SuperBee"decal for it. There some Bumblebee decals as well.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Keep an eye out for a JL Audio stealth subwoofer box. The cone up for sale every now and then. I had 2, sold both though. The fit in the passenger side rear cubby and on the wheel well. Cover with carpet and you will hardly even notice it.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Keep an eye out for a JL Audio stealth subwoofer box. The cone up for sale every now and then. I had 2, sold both though. The fit in the passenger side rear cubby and on the wheel well. Cover with carpet and you will hardly even notice it.
I found a company called “Subthump” that makes a decent stealth box. You cut the cubby out of the panel and their box fits in behind it. I might go that way. The JL box looks really nice, but unless I find one used fairly reasonably I really don’t want to spend that much. My red Scrambler is too hungry...

And just yesterday my wife said “ the weather is getting nice. I’m going to start driving the Cherokee again. You can drive the Silverado.”
Sure, now that the Cherokee is all fixed up...🤔

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
I paid $50 and $100 for the JL boxes I had. Sold them for $225 each.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I paid $50 and $100 for the JL boxes I had. Sold them for $225 each.
Well, if I could find one for $50-100 I’m all in!

The SubThump XJ box is pretty sweet and takes up no room...
2E300E7A-1B8C-4333-A41B-A5CC458BA3FD.jpeg

NHScrambler

Legacy Registered User
City
Chester
State
NH
I used to really be into XJs and MJs. My 1988 XJ Cherokee Chief was one of my favorite wheeling rigs. I actually swapped a 29 spline 8.25 out of an XJ like yours into my 88 and never had a problem and I was running 32" bias Swamper TSLs. Besides the fact it is C-clip it is a tuff axle for light to moderate wheeling.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Nice XJ, That's a rare color to see.

Daughter & I in process of doing similar build to her 01 XJ.

First time I saw you reply the link wouldn’t work. Just checked and now it does- nice build! How’s it working out?

NH- I will milk this rear end as long as possible, when it goes I’ll probably put in a Ford 8.8.

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
Drivetrain is all sorted out with lift & D44 axle swap. Got the interior all apart doing custom mostly hidden stereo install.

I didn't do 8.8 swap as it's narrower.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Bump for another bigwalton fly ‘n drive! :headbang: :smokin: :bacon: :woot: :woohoo:

I’ve been after Randy on this one since he got it, I couldn’t believe when he said I could take it off his hands. Our TJ is going to a great new home and this will be the Jeep the kid and the wife fight over now.

97CF181F-58FD-4D8E-BF7B-EF75226C73C7.png

HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
Bump for another bigwalton fly ‘n drive! :headbang: :smokin: :bacon: :woot: :woohoo:

I’ve been after Randy on this one since he got it, I couldn’t believe when he said I could take it off his hands. Our TJ is going to a great new home and this will be the Jeep the kid and the wife fight over now.

View attachment 98312
It’s time for another adventure! Congratulations

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Does Amtrac have the option of taking your car by rail the same time you ride along that route ?
I know they were offering that from NY to Florida

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Does Amtrac have the option of taking your car by rail the same time you ride along that route ?
I know they were offering that from NY to Florida
Last time I looked into the Auto Train it was insanely expensive and slow. The weather looks like it's going to be pretty great, considering the time of year and where I have to go.

Lord knows, I'm never one to shy away from a road trip ;)

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
We have Amtrac here and I have never seen a car carrier. But I have Thought it would be cool to chain it down on a flat bed freight train going west.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Getting crazy excited. @Randyzzz did up an oil change, got the cruise retrofitted and is cleaning his shop like mine isn't a total disaster :rotfl:

Have to get through an audit tomorrow, which is probably good to keep my mind occupied.