• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Navajo Brake Booster Replacement

Kaiser8

Designer
SOA Member
SOA Board Member
City
Aurora
State
IL
I bought the Navajo brake booster kit from Harold Off at least ten years ago. Last weekend my engine (5.3) started idling rough and smelled rich. Finally tracked it down to a vacuum leak coming through the brake booster. Need to replace the booster but Off Again is apparently shut down. Does anyone know what booster they were using for their kits? I think it may be a TJ application. Thoughs?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9817.JPG
    IMG_9817.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 11
I hate to hear this, I’ve been running one for years.
 
I thought they were GM boosters from an Astro van or similar???

But that might be the hydro boost version?
 
Still rockin' my Navajo brake system on my '83. PO installed in in the early 2000s. I kept it when I did the frame off. No issues.

When I had my shop I used a local company for brake upgrades. I believe it was a Corvette Booster. They are Master Power Brakes located in Mooresville, NC. They quit making the quick order kit due to lack of sales however I have called and asked for the to put one together for me a couple times and they obliged. I'd try them.


Gratuitous pic of my Navajo
Navajo.jpg
 
Last edited:
UPDATE: I was able to get a hold of Off Again 4x4 and was able to source a replacement for the booster. Cody, Harold's son, now runs the business and got me taken care of. He did mention that he doesn't have a lot of these units left and doesn't think he'll be ordering these again for his inventory.
 
UPDATE: I was able to get a hold of Off Again 4x4 and was able to source a replacement for the booster. Cody, Harold's son, now runs the business and got me taken care of. He did mention that he doesn't have a lot of these units left and doesn't think he'll be ordering these again for his inventory.
Did he happen to say where he gets them from or what they are originally out of? I have one that I purchased from them in 1998. Still working great but if it goes out, I would love to have a quickly accessible replacement.
 
Did he happen to say where he gets them from or what they are originally out of? I have one that I purchased from them in 1998. Still working great but if it goes out, I would love to have a quickly accessible replacement.
Ditto on this….
 
Did he happen to say where he gets them from or what they are originally out of? I have one that I purchased from them in 1998. Still working great but if it goes out, I would love to have a quickly accessible replacement.
He didn't. Made it sound like these were proprietary units made for them.
 
Kasier8, as far as I know, the 8" dual booster is a custom part that was never used as an OEM part on anything. It is very common in the aftermarket, I see them all over at car shows. A-Team Performance is selling an 8-inch booster like Navajo on Amazon, but I have never used it personally.

Most aftermarket kits use a Corvette MC with 1-1/8" bore. I like the FSJ master cylinder (they crossover to chevy too, so the parts stores normally have them). Doesn't look as "cool" as the Corvette, but the reservoirs are larger and it is an easier part to find.

The dual 9" booster in AdamH's picture is a from an S10 (probably other cars too). If you have room the 9", it is the way to go. Decades ago when Vanco was still selling CJ vacuum brake booster kits, he discussed what he was doing on Pirate4x4. That is the recipe what I have used for years. If you use OEM parts, you don't have to look for custom parts when a company goes out of business or just stops selling your parts.
 
Back
Top