• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Needing direction...

oldyellowcj

Legacy Registered User
City
Sharpsburg
State
GA
Very cool looking Ford! My first 4x4 was a 1978 Bronco, 4" lift on 35's,400 with C6 auto.
I really like the 8 also, nice to see your including the family in on the fun!

cattleman1977

CJ-8 Member
City
Delavan
State
KS
Thanks oldyellowcj!

I'll get back to the scrambler soon but I'd like some opinions on tires. The rims on my scrambler are all but identical to the rims on my ford.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425339072.340787.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425339086.497948.jpg

I'd like to get them somewhat matched up as far as tires go. On my day to day trucks I'm usually just concerned with price and how well they will handle our gravel roads which are notorious for shredding tires in this part of the world. However, on my scrambler and my '78 I probably don't need to worry about wearing the tires out the way that they will be driven.

So here is what I'm thinking: both currently have 33-12.5X15's. It seams the consensus is to stick with that size on the scrambler. I'm also probably going to stick with that on the '78. I haven't ruled out 35's but I don't want it ridiculously tall and I like how it is sitting now. I looked at the BF Goodrich's today and think I'll love the mud terrains on the scrambler. Initially I was thinking the all terrains for the '78 but am now thinking mud terrains on both. I don't plan on any major road trips in either one and even if I do it won't be often.

What's everybody's thoughts? Are the goodrich's the way to go? I can get the A/T mounted for $200 each. The mud terrains were $250.

Also, where would be a good place to find a matching rim for the scrambler? I'm assuming these were not factory rims on a cj?

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
image.jpgIMG_7500.jpg

OEM wheels for a CJ would be plain stamped steel, white spoke, or chrome spoke. After selling off my OEM wheels back in the 90's to put some chrome Cragars on it, later I wanted OEM again and discovered everyone else did too, so they aren't too easy to find without paying up for them. OEM spokes are tapered a bit and drilled for factory center caps.

I run BF Goodrich on all three of ours, AT's on one, and MT's on the other two. I just got some KM2's on the Scrambler and have seen a few things here about uneven wear that worry me a bit (spankrjs IIRC). I got mine from discounttiredirect.com. They price match, free shipping, and no sales tax, and also had 6 months zero interest financing. Hadn't planned on making payments on tires, but since it doesn't cost anything, why not?

The OEM spoke wheels looked like these.

cattleman1977

CJ-8 Member
City
Delavan
State
KS
My spare appears to be original but I think it will be easier (and definitely cheaper) to find a new spare rim that will match the wheels I have already. I would prefer to have the original but I'm not going to sweat it much. Plus, I do like the fact that they are very similar to the wheels on my truck.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fc/865w/0095.jpg
I found these on LMC truck for $129.

0095.jpg

firefighter736

Basic User
City
Floyd
State
VA
Cattle, I found a local BDS distributor and was able to get my springs and shocks for less than half of what your Rubicon quote is for. From what I've read Rubicon and OME are prob the two best, but BDS is right behind them and have a no questions asked lifetime warranty. Might be something to check out.

Ps I'm interested in hearing more about this junkyard mfpi option. Help anyone?

cattleman1977

CJ-8 Member
City
Delavan
State
KS
I'm way too picky about these things but I finally settled on tires only to find out what I want is going to be difficult to get. I'm thinking that the BF Goodrich in the mud terrains are the direction I'd like to go.

I'm thinking I'll put the same tires on my scrambler and my '78 ford. The problem is my local tire shop is unable to get the BFG M/T in 33x12.5r15 and he is being told that this is a discontinued size. He can, however, get them in the 33x10.5r15. I've found d the 12.5 on eBay and was wondering if any of you have had any experience buying tires off of eBay?

cattleman1977

CJ-8 Member
City
Delavan
State
KS
Also, what do any of you think about running 10.5's on the truck and 12.5's on the jeep? I'm guessing the 10.5 would be closer to original on the truck anyway.

I'm going to be stuck with these for a long time so I'm making the decision harder than it should be... Sick of thinking about it.

Scott_P

Legacy Registered User
Silver Member
City
Benzonia
State
MI
I run the 33x10.50-15 BFG MTs on my scrambler (old tread pattern). In the past have run 12.50's and 11.50's. I am a believer in most cases the 10.5 is a better choice on a jeep (I like the looks too)...the 10.5 is a good footprint/psi on the ground, 12.5 is a little too wide. 11.50 is not bad. On my CJ-2A I run 9.50's due to it being lighter yet. (It would go nowhere on 33x12.50 swampers....put on 9.50 swampers and its a billy goat.) In the end I guess it is all personal preference.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
I'm way too picky about these things but I finally settled on tires only to find out what I want is going to be difficult to get. I'm thinking that the BF Goodrich in the mud terrains are the direction I'd like to go.

I'm thinking I'll put the same tires on my scrambler and my '78 ford. The problem is my local tire shop is unable to get the BFG M/T in 33x12.5r15 and he is being told that this is a discontinued size. He can, however, get them in the 33x10.5r15. I've found d the 12.5 on eBay and was wondering if any of you have had any experience buying tires off of eBay?

Don't know about ebay, but I have purchased tires from Tirebuyer before with good results.
They were cheaper than any local tire shop, and actually have a listing of participating tire stores that will accept delivery and install for preset rates.

They also list the ones you're looking for in your area (67449 ?)

http://www.tirebuyer.com/products/tiresize?N=4294967004&Nr=AND(Section_Width:33,Aspect_Ratio:12.50,Rim_Diameter:15,Group_Category_Dim:Tire,OR(NOT(Brand_Dim:Fuzion),AND(Brand_Dim:Fuzion,OR(DC_Inv:1016))),OR(NOT(Brand_Dim:Uniroyal),AND(Brand_Dim:Uniroyal,OR(DC_Inv:1016))),OR(NOT(Brand_Dim:Kelly),AND(Brand_Dim:Kelly,OR(DC_Inv:1016))),OR(NOT(Brand_Dim:Kumho),AND(Brand_Dim:Kumho,OR(DC_Inv:1016))),NOT(Brand_Dim:Cooper))&Ne=1&pageSize=10&allItemsCount=17&freeDeliveryCount=7&mailInRebateCount=14&allItemsUrl=/products/tiresize?frontWidth=33&frontAspectRatio=12.50&frontDiameter=15&allItemsCount=17&freeDeliveryCount=7&mailInRebateCount=14&allItemsUrl=/products/tiresize?frontWidth=33&frontAspectRatio=12.50&frontDiameter=15

They have sales for certain holidays as well as occasional discounts. (They have a $60 one now)

HTH

Scott_P

Legacy Registered User
Silver Member
City
Benzonia
State
MI
I'm not too good at posting pictures, but if you go to the CJ-8 facebook page their is a good picture of it on there...its the gold colored 8 with a M-416 trailer behind it.

cattleman1977

CJ-8 Member
City
Delavan
State
KS
Scott
Good looking scrambler!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425856975.958246.jpg
This is exactly what I want to end up with (I already had this picture saved from seeing it somewhere on the net). I like the full top w/ roll up sides and the military trailer... Someday.

After your comments and rereading spankrjs's thoughts on 10.5 vs 12.5 in his road tripping thread, 10.5 makes the most sense under the conditions that I'll be using them in, i.e. rocky or snow/ice. Plus they're available. I just got hung up on the fact that they both currently have 12.5's and stalled out mentally.

Thanks!

Scott_P

Legacy Registered User
Silver Member
City
Benzonia
State
MI
Thanks! I have a LOT of work into it....and I have to give credit to Craig who started the project that I purchased and finished. Craig had a ton of work into it as well.

cattleman1977

CJ-8 Member
City
Delavan
State
KS
My scrambler has been loading up and backfiring in the carb lately. I replaced the plugs and wires but it didn't fix the problem. With warmer weather it seemed to have improved but wasn't just right. I drove it Saturday and got along fine but had to limp it home from church on back roads Sunday because 25 mph was about all I could do. I probably shouldn't have been driving it but with spring weather I couldn't help it.

I'm not very experienced with internal engine work but with the help of a young guy that works for me as a mechanic we tested the compression yesterday. All cylinders at 125-130psi except #5 which was at 100psi. I have a new alluminum valve cover ordered and my plan is to replace the old plastic VC and its leaking cork gasket when it arrives. Planning on checking valves while we're in there. Is there anything I should be looking for/expecting. I'm hoping it's relatively minor. I know at some point I will need to re-power but I'm hoping to avoid it for a time.

I really need to address my carburetor also but I'm hoping to find a used EFI off a later model like has been suggested here. I'm not willing to put a new Howell on an engine with 235,000 miles.

I'm ready to be in my 8 instead of under it given the 60's & 70's we've seen this week!

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Which carb do you have in there? Might be time for a few things that should only take some weekend work.

1. Carb rebuild - hopefully you've got a car parts store nearby that can get you a rebuild kit pretty quick ($30-50). You may find that your carb is on its last legs, or it's easier to just upgrade the carb at this point. The good news with upgrading the carb is that it's not as expensive as going with EFI, and your return if the engine goes and you have to sell the carb is a little better.

This guy: eBay carb, for example, sells a rebuilt Motorcraft 2100 for about $300. He's not the best seller to work with, but he saves you a lot of time trying to find the carb, rebuild it, tune it, etc. Anyway, there's a high demand for that carb (and the Weber) in the CJ world, so if you have to sell it it's a pretty quick sale at $150+.

2. "Team Rush" upgrade, if it hasn't already been done, or a going over if it has been done. ~$100 in parts.

3. Timing check, or optimization at least. ~$25 in tuning equipment.

4. Fuel delivery system check, to eliminate vapor lock, change your filter and make sure it's installed correctly. ~$20 in parts.

5. Gas tank vaporizatoin system check, to again help with vapor lock and make sure your canister is working and contributing to your fuel system normally. Depends on what you need, but $20-100 in parts.

When you do the valve cover - follow some of the very good write-ups on here or elsewhere. You really want to take your time with that installation to keep from having to do it again :)

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Nice list Walkerhound!

Add to that list - Check intake / block connection for leaks or warped intake manifold

I had this problem a bit back to find out that warped (and therefore leaky) intake manifold were super common.

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Good catch :) And sometimes easier to tighten a bolt or two than rebuild your entire fuel delivery and ignition system!

JeepScrambler

CJ-oholic
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Claflin
State
KS
x3 on the vacuum leak at the intake manifold. I fought a miss that I couldn't figure out on my '85 CJ7 back when I first bought it 10 years ago and it was still carbureted. Turned out the back two bolts on the intake near the firewall were slightly loose. Tightened them back up and it took care of the problem. Most all of my tuning and troubleshooting now includes a vacuum gauge!

With all the vacuum lines on the old CJ's a leak in one of the lines, an unplugged port, loose intake manifold, etc. can cause havoc when trying to get a Jeep to run right.

Sent via signal flare

TrebleHook

CJ-8 Member
City
Fairfax
State
VA
Just been catching up on your thread....nice Scrambler! For what it's worth...you might consider slapping a REAL Weber 38 (Made in Spain) on there. You can tune it in your hand, flip it over, bolt it on and they run GREAT on a 258. I did a Weber 38/DUI HEI on my CJ7 and it ran like top. There's a great thread over on Jeepforum.com all about the Weber 38 swaps, how to tune them (super simple), and everyone's thoughts. For what it's worth....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/weber-set-up-tune-discussion-1051137/

Cheers,
Dylan

cattleman1977

CJ-8 Member
City
Delavan
State
KS
Thanks for all of the feedback guys. Been too busy here to post or work on the 8. It's burning season here in the flint hills of eastern Kansas so I've been busy with that when the wind is cooperating lately. For any of you that are wondering what that means, this is what I'm talking about:

1a26a8b268b9fc90cc39f95e68b1517f-1.jpg

b4e838ee127097993e32b29d1f66ce3e-1.jpg

7f19f384b768fdd52feaae68a1a87c35-1.jpg

It's a love hate relationship: very intense and necessary for the survival of this ecosystem, but can be dangerous. A scrambler would make an awesome pasture fire rig but I'm to fond of mine to tear it up! If any of you want to donate one I'd be happy to build it!

KSCJ8- there was a fire north of you yesterday that it's a wonder was stopped given the wind conditions. A house belonging to a friend of mine was in danger. They think it was started by someone throwing out their cigarette... Stupid

I've been waiting for the new valve cover to come before I tore the old one off. I'm hoping its a simple as a bent valve or loose intake bolts like a couple of you mentioned. Will know more in a few days if time allows.

As of now I think I'll go with the carb option just due to the high mileage of my current engine. I'll look at upgrading when it's time for a new engine.

Treblehook- I love your scrambler. I'm wanting to build third row seating in mine as well. I need to go back and review your thread to see how they are mounted. Seems like that was built into your cage?

As of now I have four kids and thought that a six passenger scrambler would be a lot of fun. Just found out #5 is on the way soooo, not sure what I'll do there. We'll have to draw straws to see who gets to stay home I guess.

I'll let you all know what I find when I pull the valve cover. Anything I should check while I'm in there?

Sent from my iPad