• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

New guy here and I Just got a Scrambler!

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Congrats and welcome to our happy home.

Dain

bono426

Basic User
City
North Weymouth
State
MA
thanks! is there anything I could look at to see what year this thing is? little things to look at maybe?

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Lap belts or shoulder? Have a look at a thread here that is getting popular about the differences and unique things. That might help. And remember to post pics every chance you get. We love pictures here. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks here who will chime in and answer your questions better than me.

If you have lap belts you can narrow it down to 81-82 (early).

Dain

bono426

Basic User
City
North Weymouth
State
MA
i cant post pics directly, but i posted a link to where they're being hosted with gdrive. The seats are barely in there, so i dont know if it has the seat belts or not. I'll find out later though

bono426

Basic User
City
North Weymouth
State
MA
zJAF9jqAIKD-eb1tQMQ8xxFCjNKgE_bL3KQGWYsl3Gl_tegJ1U5GsKritHykt7T3ck1hhmCa5NB_3enzu8a_xtQ=w1089-h648

6hLfwx89b2Qh1XltPqRIC0Him5j5ox9ZY2MkQ3B6eiDvphhQ2CZVSYmhfL8CZAc-SY4_aGPld0Lt-P0BoW-zGpE=w1089-h648
0_8m1UVdn0y23A2Hj6pt9YzXzd3bzbkdzZlihH46IjE9OZgd9qVuptDqFkrFMZkwfhiYgBMqNon6AeiQRFmJBv4=w1089-h648
_cn9C5EtWMOVmU-ZxWy_3c81jxgqNne4Tz4XzVIvVyi_-G7GNtPVWo_yKuI90L3CVAZ35FK4NoOjNFMgN1fVgdY=w1089-h648

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
Lifetime Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
What's the plans for it?

I don't think that's the original transfer case.

bono426

Basic User
City
North Weymouth
State
MA
it appears that someone was already trying to bring this lady back. they put a 350 in there, just didnt hook it up. there are new seats and a new gas tank.

I want to get her running, then slowly restore her when the funds come in.

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
I see evidence of shoulder belts, as well as vent windows/dash pad - making it an 82.5-85. The VIN will certainly tell you, and I doubt it's any skin off your back to wait to decode :)

Welcome to the forum, you've got some work ahead of you!!

Julio

Basic User
City
St Charles
State
Mo
Getting a new scram is always a great score. Welcome to the best Scrambler sight there is. Everyone is helpful. Get us the vin and we will tell you everything about it

bono426

Basic User
City
North Weymouth
State
MA
what would you guys appraise this at? I want to know if i got a decent deal or not. 350, new seats, new 33 Super Swampers, tranny, leafs, seats and gas tank. Not running as of yet, engine needs to be "plugged in"

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Did you already buy it? Then you got a good deal. To me that is the way to look at it now. What matters is what you plan to do with it and how much fun you are going to have building it.

I think that if I had waited, I could have gotten a better deal. For sure. But water under the bridge. I just think about the things I want to do with it. And since I am not going to restore mine to original, I am free to think about whatever I want.

Dain

AJ2393

Scrambled in the Head
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
North Dighton
State
MA
Bono.. Welcome to the forum. Good to see some more MA based Scrambler owners on here. There are a lot of places and people locally to get some great used parts if the need ever arises. And speaking for myself, if you ever need a hand wrenching on it I am about an hour south of you!

Here is a link to a VIN decoder if you can find your VIN to determine the year and options:

vin.jpg

from: http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/VIN-jeep-cj-1971-1986.htm

scrambled eggs

Basic User
City
chapin
State
sc
welcome from the dirty south....ppl on this forum have a infectious disease... its very contagious so beware. damndest thing...causes you to spend money but at the same time their advice saves you money... looks like a little work is in order.

hefavitzen

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Rock Hill
State
SC
what would you guys appraise this at? I want to know if i got a decent deal or not. 350, new seats, new 33 Super Swampers, tranny, leafs, seats and gas tank. Not running as of yet, engine needs to be "plugged in"

I agree with Dain. After you make the purchase don't look back, don't second guess. The reality is that the purchase price is the least of your worries from now on. :) Welcome!!!!

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
What does the title say it is? Hopefully a '79 CJ-7 or CJ-5 VIN wasn't swapped on to it.

bono426

Basic User
City
North Weymouth
State
MA
I agree with Dain. After you make the purchase don't look back, don't second guess. The reality is that the purchase price is the least of your worries from now on. :) Welcome!!!!

yea you guys make a good point. I think I got a good deal and that's all that really matters! Now to pour money into this thing to get her up and running!

bono426

Basic User
City
North Weymouth
State
MA
What does the title say it is? Hopefully a '79 CJ-7 or CJ-5 VIN wasn't swapped on to it.

I didnt get a title with it. he didnt have it because Maine doesnt require them or something?
Is this a common occurrence?? why would someone do that to a scrambler! haha